Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody ever seen one of these in person? (Kustom)

Yes Sir!  👍.   Kustoms were cool. Kombo II was glorious.   Especially the sparkly ones. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

HammondDave has... he wrote this on a Facebook group where that picture was posted the otherday:

David Martin Jacques

It was a Kustom transistor organ. They sounded like crapola.

Austin Bach

David Martin Jacques Did you ever play one?

David Martin Jacques

Austin Bach yes. It sounded very thin and dull

Well yes but they looked cool.  😀

I wonder who actually built these for Bud Ross?  

As stretched thin as they would have been during this time period with amp production I can’t see them building organs in Kansas.  

I had a Kustom 200 head. They were loud and clean.   CCR were big Kustom amp users.  They made a decent clean pedal platform when I was a teenager. I traded my Kustom in for  a Mississippi Marshall ( Peavey Mace VT). It was a definite upgrade.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I never knew a guitar player with one 

this guy kinda did alright with one. ;)   A lot of the CCR hits and most all live gigs were done with a Kustom 200 with tremolo.  

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Problem was that naugas became protected. Between Kustoms and conversation van dashboards and seat covers naugas almost got hunted out.

True, that was called naugacide.  It was also because the remaining naugas learned to hide really well, causing even more shortages of naugahyde due to naugahide.

Old No7

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

The guitarist in one of my bands in grade school had one.  As cool as the “finest tufted vinyl look” was, what we all really loved the most about it was:  1). the on/off light in the front center of the amp head was replaceable with different color prism glass, and he would change them at will;  2). most cool = at a loud volume, that light would dim …. so when he hit a short chord, that light would dim (as if the power going to the speakers was sucking electricity from that bulb)!  We loved that!

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

Never seen or played one. I have a recollection from a Keyboard Magazine article, maybe early-mid '90s, I believe related to Lenny Kravitz. They had their organ tech make the touring Hammond into a Kustom padded tuck and roll case. It was red or burgundy in color. Might have even had sparkle flakes.

I did a lot of searching and can't find it online. I may have dreamed it. I hope it was real.

• Like 1

If it wasn’t real … It should be.    

If I was Katy Perry’s keyboardist I would have my rig done in Pink Sparkling Tuck and Roll.  

• Like 1

Yeah I've seen 'em, played 'em. Never owned one. They were around for a hot minute between the end of the British pop invasion and the emergence of bluesier and more experimental music featuring electric pianos, Hammonds, Minimoogs, Odysseys... In other words, not long. By the late 1960s I'd spot them languishing in the back of the keyboard section of music stores - unloved. 

That Grateful Dead pic has been floating around a lot lately. FB keeps putting it in my news feed... I guess they know how old I am. It must have been before Pigpen moved on to his Vox Continental. 

I have searched in vain for anything about an electromechanical piano made by Kustom in the mid-1970s. They had one at the local music shop in KCK when I was in high school. I mostly recall that it was way out of my price range.

• Like 1

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

5 hours ago, eric said:

Never seen or played one. I have a recollection from a Keyboard Magazine article, maybe early-mid '90s, I believe related to Lenny Kravitz. They had their organ tech make the touring Hammond into a Kustom padded tuck and roll case. It was red or burgundy in color. Might have even had sparkle flakes.

I did a lot of searching and can't find it online. I may have dreamed it. I hope it was real.

It was real. The keyboard tech you referred to, whose name I cannot recall at the moment, (I'll ask Roger Hooper, he will remember), purchased a fair amount of gear through me when I

worked at Washington Music Center. I was comp'd tickets when they passed through town, impossible to get tickets at 930 Club (because it's so small).

They had been playing stadiums in Europe  and then do this club gig. Was the best show I ever saw there, and I have been there many, many, times.

Sorry to go off topic, carry on. :cheers:

• Like 3
:nopity:

I was in a couple of bands in Oregon with guitar players who had Kustom amps. Other than John Fogerty never saw any pros use them back them. Those organs were almost as big as a spinet organ but didn't sound near as good as something like a Hammond M-3. Most of those Kombo organs that were ordered with JBL's have probably been cannibalized by now since the speakers are probably worth more than the organ.

When I moved to southern California in 1972 Plush amps were sold at NET Electronics surplus. Plush amps had a similar upholstery covering to Kustom but were high quality tube amps similar to Fender designs. NET had bought the bankrupt company's inventory of unfinished amps/parts and finished building them to sell in their stores. The Jeff Beck Group used them on an East Coast tour. Buddy Rich used a Plush PA system to play his drums through.

Plush catalog: http://www.plush-amps.com/cat_pages.htm#da_mk3_cat

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact