Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Right angle adapter for keyboard pedals?

I've often wondered why the big manufacturers don't make the 1/4" cables for pedals (volume, sustain, rotor,...) right angled, It would help in tight fitting KB stands & just makes sense. I tried some right angled adapters but they only work on the sustain for some reason. Has anybody found adapters that work for all pedals?

Thanks 

• Like 1
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

2 hours ago, Leroy C said:

You're picking the right option between TS and TRS?  

Just to state the obvious...

TS stands for tip/sleeve (2 wires, mono, unbalanced), and TRS is for tip/ring/sleeve (3 wires, stereo or balanced) -- if you don't match the type of adapter to what you have, you will have issues.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Yes, you stated the obvious. ;)

So why does the TS work on the sustain but not the volume? Wouldn't one work for all the pedals... it's an honest question.  

Thanks

A sustain pedal is typically a simple on/off switch, so they only use TS. Volume and control pedals are continuous so they use TRS. I’ve seen rotor pedals either way but on most keyboards I’ve seen they’re just on/off or momentary, so TS.

They make right angle adapters in both TS and TRS. Usually a TRS can be used in place of a TS, but not the other way around.

• Like 3
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

As part of my rehearsal rig, I have some snakes made by Redco with color coded right angled cables for three pedals (two FC7 and one sustain). They are the proper length to go from the pedal board bundle up to the keyboard. Two male TRS, one male TS on the keyboard side and corresponding female on the pedal side for plugging in the pedal cables that I have zip tied into a low profile bundle. This has worked great to keep things neat and tidy. I'll try to remember to grab a picture at next rehearsal.

Yes Stillearning, the TS worked with the sustain & rotor since they are indeed momentary and the TRS works perfectly with the sustain. It's one of those "obvious" details that slithered under my radar, thanks for your help. :)  

I'm definitely going to also look into the Redco right angled colored cables eric, again thanks to all for your help... problem solved.   

• Like 3

I bought a couple adapters (to extend the pedal cords, I like to run all cables along the top of my stand and down the legs for a cleaner look) but I can't recall if the extenders have right angles.  I do have them for the audio outs, it actually makes me position the keyboard at a certain spot on my stand as the arm it sits on would block the cables if it's right under the jack.   Messes with my ocd as that actually makes it off center on the stand!  Probably good to have that weight relief, and it looks tidy, or so I was thinking.

Got a small investment in these. RH cables are the only kind I use for both audio and Ipad charging cables on the instrument side.. If they don't come that way I'll buy adaptors. Too many cramped stages with people bumping into my stuff makes straight cables on the business side scary.   OT:   I'm pretty sloppy, but cringe when I see someone using an  ipad on stage with a big bright white cable (w straight plug) sticking out of it.   Those are fragile enough, and luckily come in black, and R angle too.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I appreciate the benefit of the right angles, but also, sometimes the jacks in the keyboard are recessed, and there's not enough vertical clearance to accommodate a right angle connector. 

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

I appreciate the benefit of the right angles, but also, sometimes the jacks in the keyboard are recessed, and there's not enough vertical clearance to accommodate a right angle connector. 

Sometimes a right angle is the wrong angle. On the Roland a800 pro the various ins and outs are on the left side instead of the back. But they are all very close together. Right angle connectors cover over the adjacent jack and or slide switch.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Sometimes a right angle is the wrong angle. On the Roland a800 pro the various ins and outs are on the left side instead of the back. But they are all very close together. Right angle connectors cover over the adjacent jack and or slide switch.

Nope, just face the adapter or (in this instance) cord downward. The two slide switches are next to the midi & usb jacks. Right angle pedal cords or adapters won't cover anything else.

a800jack.thumb.jpg.d9868f611bffba499aff0bc6be9ec11c.jpg

BTW I use extension cables for my sustain & expression pedal and they are both TRS. That way I don't have to think about what cable to use in either jack. A TRS extension cable (or presumably a right-angle adapter) will work for a TS connection; not vice-versa however.

10 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Nope, just face the adapter or (in this instance) cord downward. The two slide switches are next to the midi & usb jacks. Right angle pedal cords or adapters won't cover anything else.

a800jack.thumb.jpg.d9868f611bffba499aff0bc6be9ec11c.jpg

BTW I use extension cables for my sustain & expression pedal and they are both TRS. That way I don't have to think about what cable to use in either jack. A TRS extension cable (or presumably a right-angle adapter) will work for a TS connection; not vice-versa however.

My left side doesn't dangle over open space. I like to keep my iPad right there on some room I leave on the left side of my bench type stand. In fact I keep my midi hub and sometimes other little midi doodads in that area as well.

FunMachine.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, rickzjamm said:

Yes Stillearning, the TS worked with the sustain & rotor since they are indeed momentary and the TRS works perfectly with the sustain. It's one of those "obvious" details that slithered under my radar, thanks for your help. :)  

I'm definitely going to also look into the Redco right angled colored cables eric, again thanks to all for your help... problem solved.   

REDCO has made all my snakes for me.  I use their Snake Assembler page on their website.  They are solidly built and last. My oldest one is 9 years old, and no issues.

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: