Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So much for loving your gear, heh...

From an article on the great Jeff Beck. I can't imagine doing this with even just a Nord Wave, never mind a Roland RD-1000. Have a happy hernia! 😬🤪

"According to The Yardbirds’ manager, Simon Napier-Bell, the experience of making 'Blow-Up' gave Jeff a taste for smashing up equipment on stage during the group’s ensuing US tour. 'Gig after gig, he tottered round the stage, ramming the neck of his guitar through the speakers and crashing his feet into the delicate electrical controls. I was left a prisoner in my suite at the Chicago Hilton, phoning round America trying to find the location of every Marshall amp in the country and chartering planes to fly them to the next evening’s gig, only to be destroyed by another night’s bad-tempered Beck-ing.'

No doubt there was an element of exaggeration in Napier-Bell’s account. But maybe not that much. “Those amps never worked,” Beck later recalled. “I threw this amp out of the window once. It was in Phoenix or Tucson. The air-conditioning had broken. It was a hundred and forty degrees, unbearable heat, and the amp was crackling and then the heat just blew it up. It was a Vox, I think, and I just tossed the whole thing out the window. The power amp had a fixed cannon socket, so it wouldn’t pull out, and it was only that which prevented it from hitting this passer-by underneath. The amp was swinging above his head. God, we were tearaways.”

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

For reference….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

My 140B would make so many mini explosions I got to unscrewing the top panel before every gig just so I could remove the offending reed in a hurry, much as I felt like kicking it off the stage.

Here for the gear.

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Love JB as a player but that's some irresponsible nonsense. I never liked that aspect of that particular era of rock music, with the musicians destroying their gear. Lame.

I concur. When I last looked, musical gear costs money and sometimes quite a bit of it. Its stupid to waste it senselessly, but considering how hard people sweat to scrape it up, its borderline sacrilege to diminish the world by destroying an instrument. I can't speak for everyone, but music and dogs should be more appreciated for keeping the homicide rate lower. Don't ask how I know! 🐶

~ "The Lazarus Project"

5 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

> Did gear ever keep ya warm on a cold night? 

How can it not? A home studio makes you feel like a Pop-Tart. In the summer, like a chicken nugget. Its a thermodynamic nightmare.  

> Fetch ya a beer when yer parched. 

I... don't think I want a synthesizer that can do that.

~ "The Lazarus Project"

36 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I... don't think I want a synthesizer that can do that.

How about a synth that can turn into a pizza?

Beck had a guitar synthesizer melt on stage in South America during the Blow By Blow era speaking of blow.

I remember seeing The Who in concert back in the days they tore up their gear.   I twas interesting that the roadies came out and sweep the stage for parts so they reused to build another guitar.   What I  heard is Pete Townsend the guitars he destroys the bodies made of plywood so they weren't good guitars.    Now that night when Keith Moon kicked his drums appart and his bass drum pedal flew up and then bounced on his floor tom out into the audience.   The pedal landed in front of the couple next to me and the boyfriend grabbed the pedal, then he told his girlfriend to shove it up her dress.  Then Keith Moon's drum roadie came out walking in front of us looking for the pedal.   No one said a thing, so that couple ended up with a expensive souvenir of seeing The Who.  

The weird one was when The Who was on the Smothers Brothers TV show and they were to tear up their gear. Keith Moon was on a high riser so the road crew decided to rig an explosive devices and smoke bomb.   So when The Who played on  the TV show you see the explosion and Keith Moon flies off backwards from the drum riser.   The audience loved it.    Ends up Keith Moon actually did get blown off the riser it was only suppose to be a bang and smoke.   It did screw up Keith back and the roadie that used too much explosive was fired.    

Now myself the first band I was in we used to end our shows playing The End by the Doors and knocki our gear around and making as much noise as we could.   Somehow we got to play the AfterHours show at the Hullabaloo club in Hollywood.   The Hullabaloo had a big revolving stage so one band could be playing while other sets up.    We we do our show include tearing our gear up.  Our drummer figured it was big gig for us really when crazy and somehow he kicked his drums and they went flying like they exploded.  They start to revolve the stage and our mic cords were tangled up in drums and they had to stop rotating the stage and our poor singer had to untangle the mic cables in front of the audience.   We look over to the side and see the Stage Manager and he looks really ticked off.   Finally stage rotates and the stage manager comes running over we thought we'll never play here again.   The stage just yells why the hell did you tell me you were going to do that,  it was great!!!!    So your not mad. no I want to guys to play again in a couple weeks. 

• Like 2

Did a show with Black Oak Arkansas once. They had a big show ending shtick where the 2 guitarists swung their instrument necks at each other while Jim Dandy ducked in between, ending with the guitars being smashed.

Of course, they were cheap guitars taken out of cardboard boxes and swapped in right before the last song.

Moe

---

Ridiculous for several reasons. Safety hazards. Potential injuries. Waste of money even if it's cheap knockoffs or props. 

Just to think *adults* thought it was a fun, cool and smart thing to do.

I was never impressed. Always thought destroying equipment was some dumb sh8t to do.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dada and MoMa,  

'Auto-destructive art'

(about Dada generally below)  

"This movement sparked after World War I. After World War I, artists began to introduce new styles of art that used different medias and techniques. Cubism and Dadaism were at the heart of these new techniques. Auto-Destructive Art follows these newer techniques by taking everyday objects and causing damage (auto destructive art)." 

Suppossedly what led Pete Townshend down his destructive path ..... art students, Pete was one and a Mod.

the Mods were art students .... the Rockers ... were not.   

After WWI , so many people perished in Europe including artists (and musicians) of all types, that's what helped lead to Surrealist art (DAli,René Magritte etc..) ....to get away from the horrors of the new reality . the horrors of watching all the deaths of their fellow artists and people viewing 1st hand the 1st modern mechanized war on planet Earth ... it wasn't a good turn of events, !  

GAS of a different type, Nobel Prize-Snobell Prize ...Plank and his freakin constant eventually becames a 1st line NAZI, a associate of Herber's:  'The German gas warfare program was headed by Fritz Haber (1868 – 1934)'    Plank and goes after Einstein and tries to refute his science ... wanted everyone to sort of ... Walk the Plank (bad joke) .... or goosestep to it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck 

art immates life ...  

Sorry about all this but it's why amps and guitars got destroyed and drum kits .... to a large degree  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Just now, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

If I was a concertgoer back in the day, if Pete Townshend or Ritchie Blackmore launched into a ten-minute guitar-destruction at the end of the show, I'd be mad!  They could have played a few more songs instead.

exactamente!   

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

49 minutes ago, ABECK said:

Didn't Donald Fagen toss an ARP synth off the roof of the recording studio during Aja sessions because the tuning would drift?

I was around Steely Dan's sessions back then and remember when they got asked to leave The Village and they ended up going to Cherokee studios.  Cherokee was new then and needed a big artist to use the studio to help attract business.   Dan took advantage of that and had a new very expensive monitor system put in that after a couple days said they didn't like and to have it removed.   Then Cherokee had just bought a new  white Steinway grand piano.    Fagen start putting his cigarettes out on the lid of the piano.   So Dan was looking for another studio to work in  

54 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Steely Dan's sessions...

Dan took advantage of that and had a new very expensive monitor system put in that after a couple days said they didn't like and to have it removed.

...white Steinway grand piano.    Fagen start putting his cigarettes out on the lid of the piano.

That is the downside of musical heroes most folks never get to see and/or hear about. 

If people only know how much of an azzhole some of their heroes really are they may have thought twice about consuming their art or at least held their noses while doing so.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, SMcD said:

Emerson, of course, gets a pass for having a designated stabbin' Hammond.

Not so sure about "one" being designated...

I've read that the Goff family was making calls to ensure another one was available for the next show.  If I recall, they were very concerned they'd run out of 'em!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

As I recall, his C3 was for stabbin' (actually somewhat carefully but theatrically inserted between the keys.)

The hapless L-100 however... rocked, kicked over, smacked... 

The Ls only lasted a gig or two because the wooden case would get destroyed, even after reinforcement.

• Like 1

Moe

---

Donald Fagen must be an idiot savant. He has created some respected music, like it or not. He supposedly made a big deal out of John Lennon suggesting people do away with everything when the song's title "Imagine" is repeated throughout the song.

23 hours ago, Old No7 said:

Not so sure about "one" being designated...

I've read that the Goff family was making calls to ensure another one was available for the next show.  If I recall, they were very concerned they'd run out of 'em!

Old No7

I saw ELP on the Brain Salad Surgery tour. Keith knocked a Hammond over on stage as part of the finale. I wasn't impressed by that, not after the fantastic musical performance they provided. On the other foot, I saw The Who on the Tommy tour. Nothing got smashed, they played the entire album straight through and did it very well. I used to grab one of my solid body electric guitars by the horns and bang the butt end on the stage at the end of a show. It didn't hurt the guitar at all and made a loud noise that was fun. One time I broke the headstock of a Warmoth Tele neck banging it around. I carefully glued it (used to be a guitar tech) and I still have and play that neck. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.