Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best of the Best" YouTube Channels - Reference Thread

The goal here is to assemble a listing of the very best YouTube channels of interest to those who frequent MusicPlayer.com. It's a sticky, so think of it as a reference. Please include a description of 100 words or less that explains succinctly what the channel covers.

Be brutally selective! This thread is about consistently excellent channels with general interest. For example, there might be a superb channel about Bagpipe Repair and Maintenance, done with wit and loving detail, but that's too specialized to make the cut. 

Channels devoted mostly to an artist's music shouldn't be included because music is so subjective. However, if there's information that would nonetheless be of interest to people who don't like the music, such as particular recording techniques, that might work.

I don't want this thread to become overly long or sprawling. That defeats the purpose of having a compact, easily parsed listing of the very best channels. This isn't a place to discuss YouTube channels or the topic of YouTube in general, think of it as "read only."

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

This guy is a real pro at what he does which is gear reviews (mostly synths, controllers, some eurorack, and this and that.) 

Actually, here is his own definition of his site-vibe, which is a lot more accurate than mine above

Loopop is all about in-depth electronic music & synth ideas tips, tricks and reviews!

He moves fast!  So if you want to soak up a lot of details, I suggest slowing your viewing speed to 75%.  

https://www.youtube.com/c/loopop

nat

I've recently been digging the Tiny Desk concerts. Specifically I've been made aware of Dodie (her performing name) , Coldplay (Chris Martin and the guitar player only, but with a 9 voice Love choir) , Jake Blount (with his touring group including 3 background vocalists), and Louis Cato (below). Each of the acts I just named blow me away.   I read there are around 1,000 Tiny Desk sets.  

One thing I like is finding acts I was never aware of who inspire and impress me. I've long been a big fan of vocal harmony and inventive arrangements (thank you Beatles), and I keep seeing and hearing great music here.  

I told some friends about Louis Cato. They told me he replaced Jon Batiste on the Tonight Show.  If anyone checks out Jake Blount's Tiny Desk, around 8 minutes in is a song named "City Called Heaven" with some very minimalist and (to me) brilliant guitar playing by Gus Tritsch - and he's playing what must be a vintage Silvertone guitar.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

When streaming started to really take off, there was a lot of buzz about how streaming was going to further the great cause of getting rid of the gatekeepers in music distribution/proliferation.  No doubt a lot of suits did much to restrict access to talent they thought was not going to get them as rich as quickly as they preferred.  

On the other hand, there has traditionally been a good number of what I would call good curators of talent, and I would hate to see these babies all thrown out with the washer water from the dirty suits.  Tiny Desk is one such.  Here is another - if you are at all into guitar, songwriters, both performances and interviews, surely you will find some new sources of talent to appreciate from the wide range of top tier artists appearing on Fretboard Journal.

Here's one I like as a for instance:

nat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marinelli's channel is great.  Nick Batt and Alex Ball are top of the top as well:

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

Open Studio is consistently high quality.  I've been able to apply some of the content to instruments other than piano as well.

Analysis of Donna Lee:

How to dress up a chord progression (sounds more Michael McDonald than jazz to me - which is fine) with connectors

• 4 weeks later...

For those into modular, especially Eurorack modular, DAWless and beatboxes, here are some essential YouTube channels.

Omri Cohen - If you are interested in VCV Rack software modular, this is your place. Loads of videos on the modules available, as well as techniques on how to use them.

Red Means Recording - Lots of instructional videos and reviews on modular and DAWless.

DivKid - A master of Eurorack patching. Highly respected in the community.

True Cuckoo - tutorials on beatboxes, synths, and DAWless.

Braintree56 - Eurorack, tabletop synths and beatboxes. His Digitakt tutorial series alone earns him a place here.

The Midlife Synthesist - Sequencers, beat boxes, and synths coming from a long time musician.

Synth Dad - down to earth reviews and tutorials on modular and DAWless. If I had a channel it would probably be like this.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This thread needs some drums. Two of my favorite instructional sites...

Rob Brown - Lots of good, free lessons from a professional drummer. (With the name Rob Brown, he has to be great!)

Mike Johnston - the other instructional drum site that I frequent.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page