Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Piano Sample from Nord - Soft Grand

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-piano-library/grand-pianos/soft-grand

“Soft Grand is a modern compact size grand piano equipped with extra soft hammers giving a very soft, yet dynamic, response. With its warm, mellow and gentle sound, the Soft Grand adds a unique new character to the Nord Piano Library.

Note: The Soft Grand requires the latest OS update and is compatible with Nord Stage 4/3/2 EX/2, Nord Electro 6/5, Nord Piano 5/4/3 and Nord Grand.”

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I listen to it a little and not something I'm in a rush to load.   I could hear using it for some film composing type work, but not something I hear for a gig unless as part of layering sounds.    It's like the softness is an effect, now that would be cool to have as an effect that give that type of soft sound but is adjustment as to amount and how quick it affects the sound. 

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

I listen to it a little and not something I'm in a rush to load.   I could hear using it for some film composing type work, but not something I hear for a gig unless as part of layering sounds.    It's like the softness is an effect, now that would be cool to have as an effect that give that type of soft sound but is adjustment as to amount and how quick it affects the sound. 

I agree. I have had Nords for many years and don't understand this plethora of Piano offerings (Soft, Felt, Toy, etc.) that are useless for gigging in my opinion.  Nord never really marketed to the film score crowd, it was always the Performance instrument. The amount of upright pianos is incredible, yet I don't use any of them.  I suppose if you are doing a classical or jazz gig where the piano is super-exposed that would be one thing, but for live band performance, I have been using the Silver and White grands exclusively in my Pop/Rock cover bands. 

-dj

• Like 3

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

16 hours ago, DJkeys said:

Piano offerings (Soft, Felt, Toy, etc.) that are useless for gigging in my opinion

For those of us who also work  in Worship, where Nords are insanely prevalent (and Nord knows it..._) becomes a lot more useful.  I too don't find much use for uprights or felt in any of my regular gigs  except when one of the bands I work with calls NRBQ's super-fun  "Magnet".. or "Lady Madonna"... fun to use upright on.  But the Felts, and mellow uprights are essential in Church settings for offerings etc.  Used to have to roll my own by shaving all the top end off the regular pianos. Tend to use the bright Yamahas for most uptempo stuff, but been using Nord's felt a lot  lately, and will tomorrow evening for a lot of our quieter concert carol stuff.   

Totally agree they need a better Wurli. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I just downloaded this yesterday for my NS3. It's nice and expressive, but not worth using 200MB of your precious Piano memory (unless you really cleared out all the other sounds). You can get the same kind of sound with Studio Grand 2 with the "Soft" EQ setting on and a little tweaking in the AMP/EQ section. I already have Studio Grand 2 (which is much more versatile in that regard) and deleted Soft Grand.

• Like 1

I love the Nord uprights. For my last gig (60's and roots music) I found grand pianos mostly inappropriate - nobody was packing huge sounding grands back in the day. I kept 2 grands and 2 uprights in my Nord which were layered to loosen the unison tunings and make them cut better without having to EQ them into brittleness.

Moe

---

On the contrary, that’s part of the selling price IMO and probably the best thing about Nords - the variety of sounds and improvements over time vs being stuck with the factory default samples forever. If anything I’d like to see some newer C7’s and Steinway D samples (currently the older Studio Grands and Lady D).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

2 hours ago, CraigT said:

You cannot have a Nord thread without someone saying they are a ripoff.  Nobody has said they hate red yet, surprisingly.

My Electro is painted black. My Grand is original, but I may strip the top and side panels and have them be natural wood. Nothing against the red.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Nord has added a little variety in their sample in the last couple years with the Felt piano, a new upright, and a couple more Rhodes.   The Rhodes were interesting the other okay.    I've had my Nord Stage about two years now and I find in general most the sound are boring and of limited use especially for performance.   The earlier Nord sounds are kind of dull sounding not a lot of clarity.  The later sounds have a little more definition but they all are way too fat.   Fat is good if doing solo, duo, trio work, but if playing in a band or recording fat is bad unless doing solo, duo, or trio.    I find I have to have low end rolled off as a standard setting.   I listen the Nord Artist sound package and some good sounds so I get into what are they doing and there are layers of synth and effects to make the Rhodes and other sounds good.    

To me Nord needs to do a whole revamp of their sounds library with focus on sounds for live use,  so sound more open AP sound, most sound like very close mic'd.   Definitely way better Wurlitzer sounds.   So a balance of their sounds gear to solo... playing and sounds for live.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Docbop said:

To me Nord needs to do a whole revamp of their sounds library with focus on sounds for live use,  so sound more open AP sound, most sound like very close mic'd.

Indeed. And a consistent volume/projection across the entire spectrum would make all the difference. I sometimes wonder whether they use a spaced (or wide-angled) mic pair that gets plenty of bass and treble, and not much in the upper-mid. 

Cheers, Mike.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, konaboy said:

you kidding? what real piano can you get for the price of a nord electro for example?

A Nord keyboard doesn’t include speakers. To get the best out of a Nord, you need to invest in a high end speaker system which does put it at the same price as a good quality upright piano. Obviously people that buy Nords don’t think they are overpriced. Opinions are opinions at the end of the day!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

6 hours ago, Jon E said:

I love red. But wish they stop bother us with new downloadable samples. Enough is enough.

Why?

This is the right after sales service many companies don't provide

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

8 hours ago, Docbop said:

Nord doesn't have a great reputation from what I seen when it comes to service, they pawn it off on their distributors.   

I use Nords since 1999 and never had a problem with their service, both locally here in Athens and in Sweden, when I had to send an old Electro for repair. They have high prices, but this is Sweden ;) I always had my instrument repaired on time. But here we're mostly talking about how they are renewing their arsenal constantly. I like the fact that they're not sitting in their laurels (they sell products one way or another...) but trying instead to give more new and fresh sounds to their customers.  

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

41 minutes ago, yannis D said:

I use Nords since 1999 and never had a problem with their service, both locally here in Athens and in Sweden, when I had to send an old Electro for repair. They have high prices, but this is Sweden ;) I always had my instrument repaired on time. But here we're mostly talking about how they are renewing their arsenal constantly. I like the fact that they're not sitting in their laurels (they sell products one way or another...) but trying instead to give more new and fresh sounds to their customers.  

I had 2 Nord instruments, one stage 88 and one electro 3. I changed 3 stages and then took my money back and bought a kawai MP8 and i change 2 electro 3, used it for 2 years and sold it...for me, the most overrated company out there, pricey and very bad construction and reliability...i had kawai and Kurzweil all my life so, i can understand the difference...

And many of my friends had problems, sold the Nords and never looked back...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Not really excited about the soft… would rather prefer a new Rhodes or to improve the B3 Leslie effect. 

NS4 73HA, Yamaha MODX7+, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro 11, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

I haven't owned a Nord 😛 But one of the most popular gigging keyboardists here is a friend of mine and we regularly discuss stage pianos, workstations, synths, etc. He has had issues with most of his Nords and thinks they are quite overrated but he also says there's this prejudice among people against keyboardists who don't bring the red on stage as less professional, less successful (because if you're successful you are rich, hence can afford the most expensive). Not sure how that is in other countries but here you're judged by if you own a Nord or not 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I had 2 Nord instruments, one stage 88 and one electro 3. I changed 3 stages and then took my money back and bought a kawai MP8 and i change 2 electro 3, used it for 2 years and sold it...for me, the most overrated company out there, pricey and very bad construction and reliability...i had kawai and Kurzweil all my life so, i can understand the difference...

And many of my friends had problems, sold the Nords and never looked back...

My Electro 2 hasn't failed me even once in the 18 years and hundreds of gigs I've owned it, the Stage 2 had zero issues in the three years I had it, and the Stage 3 had the loosening mod wheel connector of the first production run (fixed in ten minutes), and had dirt under two of the key sensors two years ago or so. I've had that for over six years, now. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio