Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introducing UB-Xa

ABECK

18 hours ago, Baggypants said:

Give it a rest, you've made your

point and for some reason I can't put you on my ignore list. So I'm having to ask you to stop.

Translated OMG he's getting the embarrassing facts out stop him stop him

Polite answer: NO

I have seen similar patterns like this far far too many times over the last 20+ years in far far too many discussion forums.  Honest to pete, it's as they are being recited almost word for word verbatim out of a script .  People are welcome to debate b****** products, but the practice of silencing critics using shaming language, demonizing, deflection, and other manipulative tactics are right out of the satanist Saul Alinsky "Rules for Radicals".  They are tools for high school bullies, they should stay in high school where they belong, anybody who believes otherwise should GROW UP as you are now in the real world so those tactics are not welcome here.  

B******'s long established history of plagiarism is an indisputable fact, their record of suing online critics is an indisputable fact.  You'll swallow it, and you'll like it.

So PUT AWAY THE SCRIPTS that have been used the past 20+ years - you're messing with someone who used to be married to a master manipulator and I know all the tricks.  You got caught face to face with indisputable facts and you didn't like it, and I will not submit to requests to stop.

I will not respond to rebuttals of this post - keep the discussion on topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Wow! 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, uhoh7 said:

Hence many "geniuses" in all sorts of fields make fools of themselves with opinions and actions...concerning anything else. 

Please stay on topic, this isn't an Elon Musk thread 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, uhoh7 said:

Uli is a public idiot, but his cases were thrown out

If you mean cases against Behringer, Aphex won a significant judgement (from a German court no less). Some sources say it was $1.1 million, my recollection is that it was around $250K. But that may have been after legal expenses and such.

15 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I'd go for the Sequential Take 5 or the Korg Prologue.

For some reason, the Prologue never did it for me.  Take 5 does sound awesome, but WTH is with the sub 4 octave keybed on a polysynth?  5 would have been ideal.

2 hours ago, ABECK said:

Take 5 does sound awesome, but WTH is with the sub 4 octave keybed on a polysynth?  5 would have been ideal.

Agreed.  As Maxwell Smart would have said, "they missed it by that much"....about 1.386 octaves.😁😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have the Take 5. Sounds creamy. I’m in the minority that loves how portable and compact it is. But it gives me nothing that the Hydrasynth couldn’t give me. And then I hate all these synths (UB-XA included) where you load a patch and the pots are not reflecting the actual value. Which is why I tried to sell it but nobody seems interested and I won’t give it away. So for now it stays mine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K K said:

Please consult my new thread about how to pronounce Behringer correctly. Should the G be pronounced as in Ginger or as in gig ? I estimate it will last about 56 pages.

For the better part of my life, I had assumed ARP was pronounced phonetically (like karp).  You can imagine my dismay when I finally came to the realization it is pronounced Ayee Arrrre Peee.  (At least I don't say Mooooooog!)

• Wow! 1

5 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

For those who prefer software clones but miss the tactile feel of the hardware….

spacer.png

https://sound-force.nl/?page_id=5443

That looks like a lovely piece of kit. Its gratifying to see utility items of good quality make softsynth use more immediate. I'm perfectly happy with mousing & macros, but I built my musical bones on hardware. Anything that brings more immediacy to synth work is a plus. It seems to come in at a fair price, too. Nice job at a smart time, SoundForce.

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

49 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Agreed.  As Maxwell Smart would have said, "they missed it by that much"....about 1.386 octaves.😁😎

I think its safe to say that like it or not, one of the best things you can do is to take on a serious controller or three that FEEL good to YOU. Manufacturers release as many synths with weenie "courtesy keys" as not. I don't entirely blame them in their bid to stay profitable. The market is serving far more casual noobs & hobbyists than people who started on traditional piano and organ. The only sensible fix is to see mini-synths as modules. Would I want to do a solo show with only a Roland Jupiter X-m? Unlikely. Would I do it with just that and a controller that offered splits? Entirely doable, with a bit of planning. 

Being a Korg type, I could see having three Minilogues lined up on a rack above a controller. A bit fiddly, but still powerful. Hell, I feel partially cheated if a synth isn't at least a BIT fiddly!

• Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, K K said:

Please consult my new thread about how to pronounce Behringer correctly. Should the G be pronounced as in Ginger or as in gig ? I estimate it will last about 56 pages, with only 3 replies on topic.

I stopped trying to pronounce it correctly a while back. I just insert the "South Park" sound effect of a person with nuclear diarrhea. I see it as a useful macro. 🤨

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ABECK said:

For some reason, the Prologue never did it for me.  Take 5 does sound awesome, but WTH is with the sub 4 octave keybed on a polysynth?  5 would have been ideal.

Agreed. 5 octave is the minimum for a poly. But damn, the Take 5 sounds great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

...take on a serious controller or three that FEEL good to YOU.

The only sensible fix is to see mini-synths as modules.

Totally true.  Treat the shorter KB as a module.  Except...

That means carrying two (2) pieces of gear instead of one to achieve the same end.

Once we start the mix & match between controllers and sound sources, it opens up another can of possibilities.

The whole point of having a KB attached is to make the device comfortably playable for KB players

Granted, manufacturers are trying to maximize profits.  I guess casual noobs and hobbyists buy more boxes. 😎

• Dislike 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

16 hours ago, Anderton said:

If you mean cases against Behringer, Aphex won a significant judgement (from a German court no less). Some sources say it was $1.1 million, my recollection is that it was around $250K. But that may have been after legal expenses and such.

Very good point. I was referring Uli's threats to sue others, I should have been more clear. I have no problem with people calling out Uli, sueing him or whatever. But do we usually base our purchases on such things? In music, the politics of musicians seem to matter more at times than their music. I know many nice people with crazy politics. I don't vote for them. But I don't refuse to have dinner, either. 

One thing I look forward to with this board is it's simplicity. No giant bank of digital effects. No computer required. A lot less to distract me from playing the thing. How can you go wrong for 1100 bucks? It's has to be fun to play around with....I will try to control it with the Osmose at some point....assuming it eventually arrives. When was it first announced?

Somebody may have posted this:

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

18 minutes ago, uhoh7 said:

I don't vote for them. But I don't refuse to have dinner, either. 

I think we are all that way when it comes to music, TV and Movies. Seriously, if I filtered out everything from companies that screw over artists, artists who screw over the little people, nut jobs, etc... I would never get to watch or listen to anything. But, there are a select few that are on my never watch or listen to list. It is a totally inadequate list, but I have to draw the line somewhere manageable. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

19 hours ago, The Real MC said:

B******'s long established history of plagiarism is an indisputable fact, their record of suing online critics is an indisputable fact.

These are indisputable facts.

I can choose to buy from the company, even though these facts are true. I, personally, don't think they are that relevent when I'm picking a musical instrument.

You've made your point. Three times. Thank you for saying that you are stopping, even though you chose to do it in the most ostentatious and self aggrandising manner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uhoh7 said:

Very good point. I was referring Uli's threats to sue others, I should have been more clear. I have no problem with people calling out Uli, sueing him or whatever. But do we usually base our purchases on such things? In music, the politics of musicians seem to matter more at times than their music. I know many nice people with crazy politics. I don't vote for them. But I don't refuse to have dinner, either. 

There a good recent Adam Corolla podcast where he interviews Dan Ackroyd.  

They spend a fair amount of time discussing Ghostbuster's ripoff of Huey Lewis's "I want a New Drug" and the ensuing lawsuit and settlement.   Ackroyd kind of defects the whole thing as "Yes, we ripped it off, but everyone got Paid and was happy in the end".   

But the interview is fairly fun because Adam can't cut loose because of Dan's liberal politics.   It's also fascinating to hear the genesis of the Blues Brothers actually happened the first time Ackroyd and Belushi ever met. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 12/13/2023 at 7:26 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

For those who prefer software clones but miss the tactile feel of the hardware….

spacer.png

https://sound-force.nl/?page_id=5443

For me, this may be someone beating Behringer at their own game. Not so much as a live tool, but for working in a DAW, this makes a whole lotta sense. Ya don't lose the convenience of operating in the box but get back the tactile experience of having the real thing to tweak. Excellent find!

• Like 2

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

14 minutes ago, mcgoo said:

For me, this may be someone beating Behringer at their own game. Not so much as a live tool, but for working in a DAW, this makes a whole lotta sense. Ya don't lose the convenience of operating in the box but get back the tactile experience of having the real thing to tweak. Excellent find!

The developer has a lovely lineup of designs made for the most sought after software models.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Man, I have a real HP15C sitting in my desk. I bought it 40 years ago when I went to university. It still works, and the battery has never been changed. The tactile feel of the keys is nice and crisp.

HP used to make some of the finest electronic hardware in the world. I mourned when the founders sold the company.

• Like 3

Moe

---

1 hour ago, mate stubb said:

Man, I have a real HP15C sitting in my desk. I bought it 40 years ago when I went to university. It still works, and the battery has never been changed. The tactile feel of the keys is nice and crisp.

HP used to make some of the finest electronic hardware in the world. I mourned when the founders sold the company.

Same here!  I was always envious of my classmates who had the HP 41 CV and I was stuck with a TI 59 until I got my 15C.  We would have homework races to see who could invert the system of equations in circuit analysis the fastest with our calculators.   

I’ve changed the batteries many times as I use it as my calculator to this day.   Years ago I purchased HP’s limited edition re release and still have it in the unopened plastic clamshell.  Might be worth something someday.   I also bought a mint HP41CV on eBay and it still has that unmatched character of superiority that I envied.  

The HP quality lives on in Agilent but you’re right those days are mostly gone.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Page 8 of 8 - 25 posts and just one mentions the UB-Xa. What is wrong with you lot? It's just a synth!

First units are now being delivered and despite the cheap price overall impressions are good. All my  Behringer synths (some are 4-5 years old) have been rock solid and no issues. Firmware updates have been really smooth too thanks to the SynthTribe app. However, I'm under no illusions that this may change with this release. At least it's got a fan - very quiet by all accounts and there settings to control it. Some positive comments about the keybed too - sure can't be worse than my Sub37 ;) Aftertouch is adjustable too:

4. Aftertouch Out – switches between Channel Pressure and Polyphonic Aftertouch (default) on MIDI OUTs.

5. AT Curve – sets intensity of Aftertouch Curve. Options are Soft, Medium (default) and Hard.

6. Aftertouch Flt – sets the amount of aftertouch affecting the filter from 0 (no affect) to 127 (full affect). Default is 63

Delivery date for UK seems to be 20th Jan. Right I'll  get my coat......

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChazKeys said:

Some positive comments about the keybed too - sure can't be worse than my Sub37 ;) Aftertouch is adjustable too:

Sorry for contributing to OT, but just wanted to mention that it´s possible to replace the Sub37 keyboard with the Fatar one that is in the Subsequent 37, as indeed the Sub37 keyboard is a disaster. If I decide to keep my 37, I´m gonna replace the keyboard.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

5 hours ago, ChazKeys said:

Page 8 of 8 - 25 posts and just one mentions the UB-Xa. What is wrong with you lot? It's just a synth!

Thanks for bringing back on topic.  👍

I'm definitely interested in the upcoming OG OB-Xa and OB-X8 shootouts...

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.