Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introducing UB-Xa

ABECK

Poly aftertouch, 16-voice polyphony, bi-timbral and 8 vintage circuit mods (not sure if it's electronics based or is a software mod such as the Vintage knob on the Sequential synths). All that for $1500. But yeah, it's the B-brand 😀

P.S. The demo seems to have a creamy reverb, yet I don't see any FX section in the specs which would be a pretty silly decision. Why would you offer a highly desirable synth with many modern features and omit even a basic reverb...

I don't know a lot about Oberheims but isn't the OB-X8 a modern recreation of the OB-X, whereas the Behringer is a copy of the OB-Xa, so these are different source synths? Although I'm not pretty sure what the difference between the OB-X and the OB-Xa is either... 

Poly aftertouch and double the voice count makes it tempting. Their target of $1500 is at the edge of a Behringer item. But who knows how long it will take for it to hit the shelves. Not even listed on Sweetwater yet. Honestly, my GForce Oberheim collection probably keeps me from considering the Behringer hardware. I do reserve the right to watch closely and change my mind if is as successful as the DeepMind.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

4 minutes ago, RABid said:

Honestly, my GForce Oberheim collection probably keeps me from considering the Behringer hardware.

I feel the same way, bought the GForce bundle the other day and already loving it. And I have the Hydrasynth that I can use as a poly AT controller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

It sounds flat and dull. It doesn't have that high frequency 'air' that defines the Oberheim sound. I'd chalk it up to YouTube compression algorithms but then again you can hear it on Marcus Ryle's comparison of the OB-X and OB-X8.

I would like to see several keyboardists participate in a blind test, listening to a real Obie, and this copy.  I wonder if anyone would be able to tell the difference.

• Love 1

Not sure I could bring myself to buy one of their products, but that’s just me. 

I use the Obession plugin from Synapse - it sounds really good!

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

At this point, this is like GnR's Chinese Democracy.  I'll believe it when I see it!  Though, this looks promising.  Frankly, the VA engine in the K2700 has all the poly goodness I'd ever need, so it'd be a luxury spend at best for me.  Happy to see 5 octaves though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I don't know a lot about Oberheims but isn't the OB-X8 a modern recreation of the OB-X, whereas the Behringer is a copy of the OB-Xa, so these are different source synths? Although I'm not pretty sure what the difference between the OB-X and the OB-Xa is either... 

No. The Oberheim OB-X8 is a recreation of ALL the OB polysynths: The OB-X, the OB-Xa, and the OB-8. It has the filters from all three in it. And the envelopes from all three in it. And the entire Oberheim series from the SEM up through the Matrix has that airy quality I'm referring to. It's what makes an Oberheim an Oberheim. I don't hear it in the B**hringer.

Honestly, if they would've marketed this as a new analog inspired by the vintage polys of the early 80s and not tried to market it as an OB-Xa clone (complete with the iconic blue strips, knobs, and buttons), it would be better. 

• Like 5

Just now, Jim Alfredson said:

The GeForce OB-X plugin sounds better than the UB-Xa. And it's officially endorsed by Oberheim. Apples to oranges.

Well I've yet to find any VST, no matter how good, as enjoyable as a piece of hardware. It's ultimately just a VST (which also flirts with the possibility of becoming vaporware in the future).  Fun for a bit but some players want to step away from the computer and screen.

They both sound great that's all.

• Like 2

I think there is a zen proverb and  other self-help wisdom that says "all unhappiness is caused by comparison"

Long time Xa owner/user, plus other Oberhiem stuff.  Looked at the  invitation long time back-  couldn't be a beta tester because I'm not an "influencer" nor do I have a you-tube channel. I probably should of pushed harder to get a free one  because I'm not sure some  of those cats on there are household names.   

Been following for a while.  Unless doing a gig that needed a heavy poly synth sound,  don't feel a lust for this.     I concur with Jim, there's something missing.  But really need to hear it in person.   I think most of their clone stuff is about  70% there.  Does it have the magic?  If you've never touched  a real one, would you know the difference? Does it matter ? 

In a blindfold test, confident I could tell the difference.   For the same reason I can always guess Wurli shoot outs-only because I've worked with the real thing for so long.   But so what?   I go by inspiration too, which isn't always practical.  Check out Espen Kraft on You-Tube. He went from a room full of gear to Arturia.  Or Junkie-XL.    If the UBxa is the first time a 20 year old has his/her hands on a poly synth, they'll probably love it and feel inspired.  More power to them.

Doing clones of old extinct gear is one thing. But reverse engineering current new gear is another.  So I get some of the hate for Behringer, but don't have enough confirmed facts (other than you-tube influencers...)  to pass judgment on some of the other accusations.  Like many of those same Behri critics,  I also have a lot of Apple products, and occasionally shop at Walmart.  They do some pretty awful stuff too.     Reminds me of when I was a card carrying  Lacto-Ovo vegetarian, with fanatics (usually Vegans LOL)  preaching while wearing a leather belt.

I have a couple of Behri mono clones relatively happy with.    They did a great job with the Pro- 1 and Neutron (which isn't a clone  but a 3340 thing...)   I'm on the fence about the Odyssey - sometimes feel like  G-force oddity captures more of the essence.  But taken for what it is, it's "Arp-ish"   and do love hands-on with knobs and sliders.   I'm also getting plain  lazy about reaching for plug-ins over hardware these days- especially when it come to recall. 

My XA is getting harder to keep alive.  I'm starting to consider it (with my other vintage gear)   more as a retirement asset when I'm ready.   An OBxa tabletop would be cool, but I'd  probably  rather support Tom and Marcus if was going buy hardware.   I'm still looking at taking my OB (and ailing Mini) to get restored but that's going to be $$$.    I turned to software (and the lovey hardware  rack Ob1k) to fill the void.  Because wife and I are considering moving out of states in next 18 months, I'm starting to  seriously look what gear I'd realistically be able to take.    An OB wouldn't be first priority.  

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Mega Meh. I'm curious about how it will hold up over time, but I mistrust B, so I wouldn't be a buyer anyway. When I consider the excellent software Obies, its hard to drop the generally high (and justified) price on the real deal.

IMO, the OB-6 is probably the wisest purchase in hardware, with Tom's hand in it so prominently. If you're not in line for an OB-X8, it feels like the best bang for the buck. We've clearly reached Oberheim Saturation, so all you have to do is pick the best iteration for you. The UB-X is a bit of an also-ran at this point. We'll see if the Poly AT, general build, etc. live up to the trumpeting over it.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

2 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Honestly, if they would've marketed this as a new analog inspired by the vintage polys of the early 80s and not tried to market it as an OB-Xa clone (complete with the iconic blue strips, knobs, and buttons), it would be better. 

Yes. In fact, considering how the inclusion of Midas helped make the Deepmind a decent synth, I'd love to have seen this thing with some modest effects and a few added features. It could have offset a lot of the usual skepticism. Its a shame that B has made so few original moves. It'd be nice for the market to have some added balance from an upstart-ish company that threw a few colorful left turns in that gave them some distinction.

Many softsynths aren't winners because they're subjectively "better" sound-wise. Its the added magic dusting of effects, getting three oscillators instead of only two or a rockin' mod matrix that make your biceps feel bigger. I had my turn at Hardware Luv, which makes my Software Luv perfectly natural. I don't mind turning knobs with a mouse at all. 

Last time I looked, I'm not the Boss of Everybody, either! Being the Boss of Me is enough work. I'm weirdly pleased that some players are finding a few Bs to be good additions. The company just feels like a massive missed opportunity.

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

5 hours ago, obxa said:

My XA is getting harder to keep alive.  I'm starting to consider it (with my other vintage gear)   more as a retirement asset when I'm ready.   An OBxa tabletop would be cool, but I'd  probably  rather support Tom and Marcus if was going buy hardware.   I'm still looking at taking my OB (and ailing Mini) to get restored but that's going to be $$$.    I turned to software (and the lovey hardware  rack Ob1k) to fill the void.  Because wife and I are considering moving out of states in next 18 months, I'm starting to  seriously look what gear I'd realistically be able to take.    An OB wouldn't be first priority.  

Trying to keep an OB-Xa running these days sounds painful to me.  I LOVE my OB-X8.  It was my dream analog poly, and I'm still a bit in shock that it even exists to begin with...definitely my desert island synth.   I highly recommend going that route when you can, maybe after you move?  The VSTs are OK but just don't sound as good to me, YMMV.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

6 hours ago, obxa said:

A good tech should be able to get the OB-Xa stable for another 40 years. The biggest weakness in all the early Obies (and pretty much all the vintage American synths, tbh) is the power supply. 

I got my OB8 running flawlessly with a new Fatar keybed and it plays and sounds incredible.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

A good tech should be able to get the OB-Xa stable for another 40 years.

Unfortunately there aren't any good ones here in Atl. I've been thinking of using the guy out in Ft. Payne.     Bought it new in 1983 and it spent a long time on the road & sessions before I retired it    Most issues I'm having are voice board based at this point due to age.  Hoping it's not going to be too extreme. 

Did you get the Fatar keyboard from the guy in Sweden who sells the kit?  Had that on my radar, but mostly control the Xa from via mid. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

17 hours ago, obxa said:

Unfortunately there aren't any good ones here in Atl. I've been thinking of using the guy out in Ft. Payne.     Bought it new in 1983 and it spent a long time on the road & sessions before I retired it    Most issues I'm having are voice board based at this point due to age.  Hoping it's not going to be too extreme. 

It probably needs a re-cap and new trimmers. I did that to my buddy's OB-Xa that he uses in his studio. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it's still rock solid.

17 hours ago, obxa said:

Did you get the Fatar keyboard from the guy in Sweden who sells the kit?  Had that on my radar, but mostly control the Xa from via mid. 

Yes. It's awesome. But I refurbed my friend's OB-Xa original Pratt-Reed keybed and it's great too. My OB8 had the crappy Matsushita keybed. If it had the Pratt-Reed, I probably would've just refurbed it.

• Like 1

The UB is a nice addition to the new league of analog synths but it cannot touch the OB-X8. Having basically the whole lineage of OB synths on one is mindblowing. I’ve owned both OB-X and OB-Xa and I’m 100% satisfied with the X8. I really really hope Sequential/Oberheim continue with the Matrix 12/Xpander next… Just add faster envelopes and we’re good!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Analogaddict said:

The UB is a nice addition to the new league of analog synths but it cannot touch the OB-X8. 

I would expect not...just from a pricing standpoint (Which I can't touch at $5k).  I agree with others here, it would have been better if it was a uniquely branded synth, rather than a copy.  Remove the stripes, name it the the PolyB-80 and then we have a much different discussion going.

• Like 1

Agree that I'd feel better about it if it was more like the Deep Mind, which wasn't a direct copy of anything (not exactly anyway).  I didn't really love the DM but at least it showed some creativity.

I know I'd absolutely love an Obx8.  Those Oberheims and the Prophets were what I always wanted when I was younger.   I question whether I'd be able to tell a big difference between VSTs and the real deal from a recording though.   And of course software is so very convenient.    That doesn't mean I wouldn't love sitting in front of the thing and that inspiration is worth something!    I think if I were to get a hardware similar thing it would be the desktop OB6 at this point though; I just can't bring myself to spend that much on any piece of gear even if I could afford it.  I definitely could if I sold a couple keyboards not doing much right now.  Gah, giving myself ideas now...