Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha to launch new GENOS 2 today

S90MF.  10-15 pounds less the a Montage 8 with the flagship balanced action and loaded with Montage Rompler sounds.  I’d buy it. I always like the S90 in my stage piano role. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

11 minutes ago, CEB said:

S90MF.  10-15 pounds less the a Montage 8 with the flagship balanced action and loaded with Montage Rompler sounds.  I’d buy it. I always like the S90 in my stage piano role. 

My S90 (Classic) was one of my most productive purchases and I still am holding onto it. I used it prolifically in a wedding/general business band for a decade, with various clonewheels up top, and it just got the job done so well. Such as great action, form factor (mod/pitch wheels ABOVE the keys), killer Master mode, PLG expansions, and more. It really was a beast. I even had the S70XS for a bit and never liked it as much as the original S90.

Here's a very old picture of that S90 rig.

IMG_3604.jpeg

• Like 1

I still have my S90XS.  I like it but I always thought the pianos on the older S90ES were better.  I should get a good software Piano and use that with my S90XS in my Blues band.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, CEB said:

I still have my S90XS.  I like it but I always thought the pianos on the older S90ES were better.  I should get a good software Piano and use that with my S90XS in my Blues band.

The S90ES piano is actually available in Steinberg’s HalionSonic.

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

51 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

It uses an external power supply !!!!

GENOS 2 Connections

very strange, I think that diagram must be a mistake?

why?

because I was at the secret launch event last month and helped to tear down 23 Genos 2's (yes, count 'em) and didn't come across any external PSUs, just standard IEC mains connectors.

or were they prototypes or something?

check that diagram again, you can see the IEC connector in the photo.

• Like 1
hang out with me at woody piano shack

I did my usual post-announcement summary here:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-2-is-here/

$6,599 USD (MSRP), $5,700 (MAP)

It's a nice bump to the generation 1 Genos. FM synthesis. CFX is upgraded and Genos2 got a few of the character pianos, Steinberg REVelation reverb. 

Yamaha stopped short of cannibalizing other product lines. No new rotary speaker sim, no Bösendorfer, no VRM. Maybe that REVelation reverb might get ported to Montage M? It's probably space hungry (for impulse response data), so I hope the Montage M platform can handle it.

All the best -- pj

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, eric said:

My S90 (Classic) was one of my most productive purchases and I still am holding onto it. I used it prolifically in a wedding/general business band for a decade, with various clonewheels up top, and it just got the job done so well. Such as great action, form factor (mod/pitch wheels ABOVE the keys), killer Master mode, PLG expansions, and more. It really was a beast. I even had the S70XS for a bit and never liked it as much as the original S90.

Here's a very old picture of that S90 rig.

IMG_3604.jpeg

I got to play one this weekend! I really enjoyed it, but the thing that shocked me most was how easy it was to carry this 00s board! 😂 These past few days I had to keep checking the official spec weight to confirm it's 45 lbs, because it actually felt lighter and easier to carry than many 30something lb boards.

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

very strange, I think that diagram must be a mistake?

why?

because I was at the secret launch event last month and helped to tear down 23 Genos 2's (yes, count 'em) and didn't come across any external PSUs, just standard IEC mains connectors.

or were they prototypes or something?

check that diagram again, you can see the IEC connector in the photo.

Yes, so it is a wrong depicted power connector on Yamaha site... Also pretty uncommon 

2 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I gotta tell ya, unlike a lot of boards from the early 2000s that kinda look like clunky spaceships now, its visual aesthetic is still pretty cool!

I agree - it is pretty nice looking for a slab stage keyboard. My addition of Bolivian Rosewood side panels in place of the boring brown MDF helps a bit as well.

The more I think about the future of my S90, the more I want to keep it indefinitely. It has been with me for over 20 years at this point. Sorry this is a little bit off topic for the thread, LOL.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, pjd said:

I did my usual post-announcement summary here:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-2-is-here/

$6,599 USD (MSRP), $5,700 (MAP)

It's a nice bump to the generation 1 Genos. FM synthesis. CFX is upgraded and Genos2 got a few of the character pianos, Steinberg REVelation reverb. 

Yamaha stopped short of cannibalizing other product lines. No new rotary speaker sim, no Bösendorfer, no VRM. Maybe that REVelation reverb might get ported to Montage M? It's probably space hungry (for impulse response data), so I hope the Montage M platform can handle it.

All the best -- pj

Thanks, pj.

Now I have something legit to GAS for after I have fully mastered the use of my PSR-SX600, to where I can just raise an eyebrow and it magically cooks up the perfect accompaniment in response to my psychic waves.   Just like the master monks in the 36th room of the 36 Levels of Shaolin.

I know exactly what you mean by Schlager styles.   Le fromage, el queso, however you want to name it, is strong with those.  Uh oh, there's a Schlager style demo at 42 min!

The British guy who took over demoing the Genos 2 at around 30 min. has similar tastes to mine, lol.

I currently have a Korg PA5x, and was planning on swapping it out for the Montage Mx, but was hanging back awaiting this new(??) offering from Yamaha....again they have hyped something and it really is just a repackaging of existing product.

montage is looking better all the time - just got to get around (somehow) the size and weight for gigging.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Purdy! For $6k, it had better be, but I can't argue the point. I got to play an earlier Genos and it was all Wow. I get it. Its a high-res mini-Wakeman stack in "portable" form. Its not for me, simply because that ring-of-synths image is permanently etched in my "brain"'s ROM. You kids stop telling me to "evolve" or I'll roll a Leslie onto your foot and then pretend I can't hear your screams.

• Haha 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

$6K?  WTF .....

IIRC, the $5700 MAP is $300 less than the original Genos was before they lowered it a month or so ago.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)