Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greta van Fleet

Markay

Not often I have to consider whether I would rather play keys or guitar. This track, were I to be in a band with a singer who could do this justice, makes me wonder

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Ok , I'm jealous that youngsters achieved a musical career that I couldn't do. And I like the riff type rock.

That said, that singer gets on my nerves real fast. The songs could use just a little more of them and a little less LZ.

But it's the matching glittery onesies they wear that I can't get past.

FunMachine.

Well, at least no one can parody that video, it's already so far out there in parody-land.

Their sound is so 70's throwback, I should like it, but it's kind of too studied, missing the loose, ragged edge of that era.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I do like that White B3 and Leslie.  He uses that one on tour now (as opposed to the SK2 from a few years back).

I thought they were trying to get away from the Zep sound a little bit and finding their own thing with the latest album, but this couldn't be more zeppelin if you tried.  Even the reverb on the B3 sounds just like Thank You.  Justin Hawkins was right - A band needs at least 2 influences.  Greta has 1.

• Like 1

Greta Van Fleet have always been a good rock band. Yes, they do copy from Led Zeppelin, Rush, et al. But for me, Josh Kiszka is a decent lead vocalist, and the guitar playing is really good. I like Greta Van Fleet simply because I am too young to remember Blue Oyster Cult or Nazareth.

I like GVF and also am amazed how three brothers have kept it together this long. At the age they were starting out my brother and I were trying to find new ways to injure each other, not form a band ;)

• Haha 2

I never liked them...

• Haha 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I've always loved this band.  It's so unusual for young musicians these days to be writing and playing material that could fit in quite well with the records I grew up listening to.

I think the singer is amazing.  The band is really good.

Oh yeah, and it's really cool that three of the guys are brothers, right?

I can imagine how some people could be bothered by the outfits in this video.  Well, I happen to have been on TikTok for 3+ years and this look is totally Gen Z.  Young people have always enjoyed doing things that old people like me don't like. Back in the 60s and 70s my father wouldn't watch the Beatles or any other men who "looked like girls".  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Just my two cents.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Back in the 80's (and 70's, maybe 90's?), glam hair rock bands ( or whatever the right term is ) would add feminine fashion accoutrements to give themselves an androgynous look - it was a fashion for a few years in that genre.   GVF have taken that style to a ridiculous extreme.   They're the 1958 Continental Mark 3  1959 Cadillac of the glam rock world.  😃

I guess I should comment on the music.   Although it's not for me, I can recognize that they're good, and I find them to be quite original.   I know they're Zep-influenced, but I don't hear much Zep in this track.   It sounds unique to me.

I actually covered Heat Above backing up a local female vocalist a couple of years ago. I will say the experience, for me, is improved by having a less testosterone-laden voice singing it. 😉 A couple of tricky little rhythmic things in the instrumental transitions, too! Cool tune, fun keys parts.

The Led Zeppelin aesthetic is strong with this band, especially on the earliest material where their Management or their People or whoever decided to really lean into it, which wound up being very polarizing. But I try to put myself in the position of what my music would have sounded like and how I would have presented myself if *I* had gotten a major-label record contract when I was 15. It would have been pretty derivative, too. And I would have been trying to sing a lot higher than I had any right to, just to show off. Fortunately for me (and for everyone else), I had more time to develop before anyone heard any of my recordings.

Another note on their Zeppelin imitation: props to their keyboard player, who is also their bass player, covering the low end on the organ pedals (even on the studio recording -- my bass player buddy and I had a long discussion about whether or not there was an actual bass guitar part when we covered it for the aforementioned singer). Even with simple parts, that takes some woodshedding.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I wonder who was the first male rock musician or singer to do the androgynous thing?   I'm thinking maybe Mick Jagger?  Possibly the Beatles because of the "hair like a girl" thing, but I don't think that's what they were going for.   They were just following the suggestion of their German photographer friend Astrid Kirchherr to get rid of their 50's style greaser haircuts, and switch to a boyish look, which apparently was popular in France or something.   They probably grew it long because they couldn't afford haircuts, I don't know.   But Jagger was doing it more deliberately, I think.  Was their someone before him? 

16 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I wonder who was the first male rock musician or singer to do the androgynous thing?   I'm thinking maybe Mick Jagger?  Possibly the Beatles because of the "hair like a girl" thing, but I don't think that's what they were going for.   . . . Was their someone before him? 

Little Richard, baby!

There's a whole historical/racial/social context for that, but probably outside the scope of what should be discussed on this forum.

• Like 3

Samuel B. Lupowitz

6 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Little Richard, baby!

There's a whole historical/racial/social context for that, but probably outside the scope of what should be discussed on this forum.

Oh yeah, I forgot about him.   Ok, I'll re-phrase my question to:

Who was the first straight male rock musician or singer to do the androgynous thing?

18 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about him.   Ok, I'll re-phrase my question to:

Who was the first straight male rock musician or singer to do the androgynous thing?

David Bowie's dead, so you can't take it up with him about how "straight" Mick Jagger actually is...

Coincidentally, happy Bisexuality Awareness Week to all who celebrate. 🦄

• Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

On 9/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, SamuelBLupowitz said:

David Bowie's dead, so you can't take it up with him about how "straight" Mick Jagger actually is...

Coincidentally, happy Bisexuality Awareness Week to all who celebrate. 🦄

Aw anyone remember Sylvester and the Hot Band.      I remember a show he did at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.  Sylvester was a Mary Martin Peter Pan fan and he heard she did Peter Pan at the SM Civic and the rigging was still in the roof of the auditorium.  So he decided he had to fly over the audience.   They warned him repeatedly launch from the stage he'd only have enough momentum to fly over audience once or twice and then needed to land on stage.   Showtime they hook Sylvester up and launch him,   Syl' is enjoying it too much and keep circling over the audience.     Yup Sly lost momentum and ended up just dangling over the fourth row of the audience.   They lowered him down in to the audience and he grinned and bounced his way back to the stage.     

Here's his song that got some airplay.

• Haha 1