Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

InMusic buying Moog?

"Moog Music is joining inMusic, which owns many companies like Akai Pro, Alesis, Air Music, Numark, etc."

"Under a seasoned leadership team that includes Steve Dunnington, long-time Moog engineer and former student of Bob Moog, Moog Music will continue to develop and build instruments in its hometown of Asheville, North Carolina, USA."

CEO of InMusic has ideas, "The collaboration between Moog Music and inMusic will usher in an exciting new chapter of innovation, introducing a range of groundbreaking instruments for creatives worldwide.... [the partnership] will expand Moog's reach into new communities".  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Wow, wouldn't have ever seen that coming...hope inMusic treats them well.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I really don't know what to think of this.

I guess two things give me hope of continuity. First is that Bob's protege Steve Dunnington will continue to call the shots for Moog and the second is that the engineering designing and building will continue in Beer City USA. 😅

Wishing them well and hoping all this means is that we'll have more options for enjoying the brilliant Moog flavor in different forms. 🍻

• Like 1

Wow, indeed.   I have been having a discussion with others (not here)  about this possibility for some time now.

Other than software releases, Moog Music has been pretty quiet for the last year or so.

Keep reissuing the reissues for a steady cash flow.

Workers were trying to unionise last year, don't know the results . I would imagine if successful we probably would have heard about it. 

:nopity:

Akai has managed to remain relevant. 

Alesis has never been quite the same reduced mostly to MIDI controllers.😁

I hope the arrangement works out well for Moog.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'd known Moog music was for sale for a long time. I'm surprised Yamaha didn't buy the company.

We'll see what happens. They acquired Revalver from Peavey, and are also using that technology in their Headrush line. I talked to the person who has been in charge of Revalver all these years, and he's been very happy with how inMusic has treated him and the product. So, there's one data point. FWIW this is someone I've known for years, so if there were major issues, he'd level with me. 

• Like 2

Hmmm...

I can see Alto and M-Audio as natural InMusic brands. They gutted the innovation that was Alesis.

And acquisition is good for shareholders, not consumers. If an independent Moog struggles, the company fights for its life. If the Moog brand isn't successful, InMusic simply shuts them down.

Cheers, Mike.

6 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Hmmm...

I can see Alto and M-Audio as natural InMusic brands. They gutted the innovation that was Alesis.

And acquisition is good for shareholders, not consumers. If an independent Moog struggles, the company fights for its life. If the Moog brand isn't successful, InMusic simply shuts them down.

Cheers, Mike.

I would imagine owning the brand and using it to sell software and more affordable brands of hardware is decent value. Does Moog USA have to do anything more than reissue classics and variants?  

4 hours ago, Anderton said:

I'd known Moog music was for sale for a long time. 

I didn't know that but I knew Mike Adams was planning his own exit as early as 2013 in language he used in an email. 

I just sent a note to someone I know at Moog and if I gain any insight I'll share it. 

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I would imagine owning the brand and using it to sell software and more affordable brands of hardware is decent value. Does Moog USA have to do anything more than reissue classics and variants?  

I can see how owning the Moog brand helps InMusic sell software and other brands ("infused with the legacy of Moog Music" or some other marketing nonsense). But I don't see how it helps consumers. In theory, economies of scale should help InMusic charge lower prices. In practice, it rarely works that way. I've seen too many acquisitions that destroy the culture, passion and ethos of smaller companies (see also: Sibelius).

Cheers, Mike.

5 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Kind of an opaque statement. The words "joining" and "partnership" are used in the statement. Is it a purchase? A distribution deal? An investment? A joint venture? 

According to the email that the Bob Moog Foundation just sent out, "Today marks a new chapter for the company Bob Moog founded in 1954, as Moog Music shares that it has been acquired by inMusic" [emphasis mine].

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I don't see this as good. A lot of brands in their lineup have lost footing. Akai is a mess with uninspiring releases that have the core user bass very upset. MPC's are bottoming out in value and many users say the Akai line has not sounded good since Roger Linn left. I bought a couple Air VST's and they are very problematic. I'll never buy anything else from Air. The only positive I can see is if Inmusic can boost overseas sales of Moog.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

5 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I can see how owning the Moog brand helps InMusic sell software and other brands ("infused with the legacy of Moog Music" or some other marketing nonsense). But I don't see how it helps consumers. In theory, economies of scale should help InMusic charge lower prices. In practice, it rarely works that way. I've seen too many acquisitions that destroy the culture, passion and ethos of smaller companies (see also: Sibelius).

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, I understand. We can never go back. It is a very rare thing in business, especially in MI, to really carry what the founder(s) built beyond their life time and ownership.  It takes a special person who really understands why they succeeded in the first place.  

Hey, they managed to get accolades for a $599 Minitaur without devaluing the brand.  Maybe InMusic can help them make great synths more people can afford.  I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

I'm curious how the fact that Moog was "employee-owned" works into this. Did they employees own a controlling share of the company, and did they choose to make the sale?

Mike Adams owned 51%, the other 49% went to the employees. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Kind of an opaque statement. The words "joining" and "partnership" are used in the statement. Is it a purchase? A distribution deal? An investment? A joint venture?

That kind of language happens when you want a soft landing.   In this case you have a asymmetrical inverse reputational mismatch.

inMusic's brand reputation isn't just less than Moog's, it's inverse (close to, but non-zero).

I assume they only purchased the controlling interest, which could be a reason Yamaha didn't happen.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3