Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WATCH OUT! Do not update to iOS or iPadOS 16.5 if you use the USB 3 Camera Adapter

6 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Every currently sold iPad except the bottom-of-the-line 9G model has a USB port.

But you still need a CCK?

Mine is a 9G and It has plenty of cpu and battery time and it was cheap being a 2 year old model. The annoyance is needing to charge it through its only port for connectivity. 

FunMachine.

I also have the 9G and the CCK. Even with the newer iPads with USB-C ports, you’ll need a CCK or hub if you want to connect to the outside world and keep things powered and the iPad charged at the same time. The 20-watt cube I got with the 9G powers my keyboard controller and keeps my iPad battery charged. I’ve inadvertently had things working on the iPad battery alone, but haven’t seen how long I could do it for - and don’t want to find out on a gig!

edit - It’s probably obvious I have the USB3 CCK with both USB and power ports, not the older USB2 CCK which lacks the lightning port. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, analogika said:

iOS/iPadOS 16.5.1 has been released and fixes the issue. 

iPadOS 16.5.1

489.4 MB

This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users. It also fixes an issue that prevents charging with the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.

So, I guess I'll update.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

OK.  - this looks like it is now OK to upgrade the OS?

”This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users. It also fixes an issue that prevents charging with the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.   https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

I am not very tech savvy -  did you try it.  Does your camera adapter still work with an older iPad??  :)

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707

I updated, and my Adapter is charging the iPad Pro the way it should. I haven't tested functionality of the USB yet.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I used my 2019 iPad with VB3m, an AudioBox iOne, and a KeyLab MkII 61, with a powered USB hub and a USB3 CCK at a gig last Saturday.  All worked just fine.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I can confirm that it briefly broke on my iPhone, but with the new iPad OS 16.5.1 and iOS 16.5.1 it works again on both my iPad Mini 5 and iPhone 12 mini!
Scary stuff!

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 9:07 PM, analogika said:

Two weeks ago, Apple pushed a security update (iOS 15.7.6) to the iPhone 6S, which puts its total software support at SEVEN YEARS and seven months since release, and four years & eight months since it went out of production. 

"Forced obsolescence" yah right. 

Just a note: Apple just released another security update to the iPhone 6S. 

That puts support at EIGHT YEARS and four months since release (or almost five and a half years since it was disconitnued) — and counting. 🙂 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

2 hours ago, analogika said:

That puts support at EIGHT YEARS and four months since release (or almost five and a half years since it was disconitnued) — and counting. 🙂 

I’ve still got my 6S+ the accelerometer/compass has gone and battery life isn’t great, but as a little thing to run set list maker or iReal pro it’s great value. 

Cheers, Mike

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I’ve still got my 6S+ the accelerometer/compass has gone and battery life isn’t great, but as a little thing to run set list maker or iReal pro it’s great value. 

Or run a full-fledged music rig like I do on my SE2016 (which has the same internals as the 6S). AUM hosting AudioLayer, Korg Module, Synthmaster 2, VB3m, etc. - at a 128 buffer. As I've mentioned a few times here, I've done AWB gigs with the phone alone. I'm not sure I'd want to use it to read any kind of chart though - not with my old eyes, that's for sure!

I see 6Ss on Ebay for around US $50. Those, along with the SE2016 are the last iPhones with headphone jacks as well.

• Like 3

There's currently no audio Out signal from FaceTime when using a firewire port adapter for wired headphones which I attempted for teaching virtually. I called Apple and the only way is by using wireless Airpods. So I have to use an old iPhone 6 if I want to use my favorite wired headphones.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

22 hours ago, analogika said:

Yet my iPhone 6 was locked to iOS 12 and perfectly good hardware was made a paperweight in 2019 as new apps I built were  not allowed to target it. This following on the heels of my 2012 iMac scrapped in 2018 despite a full upgrade to 16GB ram and an SSD drive because Apple decided not to allow a new version of MacOS which XCode required for development. 

Apple have practically invented planned obsolescence in phones and computers and sadly other manufacturers have copied their lead. 

When quality hardware is usable for 20 years, deliberately disabling it and making it obsolete in 6 years is obscene. Celebrating 8 years of use is a joke. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, Ibarch said:

Yet my iPhone 6 was locked to iOS 12 and perfectly good hardware was made a paperweight in 2019 as new apps I built were  not allowed to target it. This following on the heels of my 2012 iMac scrapped in 2018 despite a full upgrade to 16GB ram and an SSD drive because Apple decided not to allow a new version of MacOS which XCode required for development. 

Apple have practically invented planned obsolescence in phones and computers and sadly other manufacturers have copied their lead. 

When quality hardware is usable for 20 years, deliberately disabling it and making it obsolete in 6 years is obscene. Celebrating 8 years of use is a joke. 

Your iPhone 6 got its last security update on JANUARY 23rd, 2023.

Eight years and four months after it was introduced. 

(six and four months after it was discontinued)

I get that you are talking about new functionality, not software support per se, yet, I find this argumentation disingenuous and annoying.

"Deliberately disabling" is NOT the same thing as "no longer updating it with new functionality". 

The Yamaha SY77 I bought new in 1992 was not "deliberately disabled" at purchase as per your argument, just because Yamaha never shipped a firmware upgrade for it. That's just ridiculous. It's STILL functional and does exactly what I bought it for, thirty years ago. 

Your 2012 iMac continued to do *exactly* what it had always done when Apple stopped updating the software. The Emulator II librarian needs a 35-year-old ancient Mac operating system — that's "planned obsolescence" from a hardware manufacturer. 

Calling the celebration of 8 years of software support FOR A CELLPHONE a "joke" just because your own was only supported for FIVE YEARS isn't fair. For one, it assumes that Apple is under the obligation to perpetually enable your phone to do things it could not when you bought it, which is not how hardware — nor software — works. For another, it conflates "software support" — ensuring safe and secure operation via security updates — with "upgrades" that introduce new functionality. 

Even more ridiculous is the claim that Apple "invented planned obsolescence", considering the market at the time. 
In contrast, the highest-end Android phones back then were getting AT MOST barely two years of support, while the majority of phones were shipped from the start with outdated versions of Android that were never updated at all. 

This graphic predates the iPhone 6, but it gives a pretty good idea of what was going on, since you've apparently forgotten: 

fidlee-ios-vs-android-adoption-support.png.thumb.webp.8a6ffc54d3c2952d31cf6793a9ddb31b.webp

Note that this is both "software updates" in YOUR sense of the meaning — new versions, with new functionality — and "support updates" in my sense (the little dashes in the boxes).

All the iPhones listed were supported beyond the timeline shown here. The last security update for the iPhone 3GS came out in February 2014 — nearly five years after its release. It's not shown in this table. 

That Nexus 4 got dropped from regular software upgrades two years after release (in Nov 2014), and security updates stopped after exactly three years (as per google support page). 

But yeah, Apple invented planned obsolescence. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

While I agree with your main point that Apple is neither the inventor nor worst offender when it comes to planned obsolescence, they are not among the best in this respect, either. So for example...

5 hours ago, analogika said:

The Yamaha SY77 I bought new in 1992 was not "deliberately disabled" at purchase as per your argument, just because Yamaha never shipped a firmware upgrade for it. That's just ridiculous. It's STILL functional and does exactly what I bought it for, thirty years ago. 

One problem is that old Apple gear doesn't last as long as it could even if you only want it to do exactly what you bought it for x years ago. The issue is that they "pioneered" the concept of non-replaceable (or non user-replaceable) batteries, in their music player (starting with iPod), phones, and laptops. The fact that you'd have to pay a tech to change the battery (if it could be changed at all) means that these things pretty quickly become not cost-effective to maintain. Sometimes you can't maintain them at all because, since the battery designs are not only not user-replaceable but also proprietary, it can become impossible to find replacements even if you were tech-savvy enough to want to try to replace the battery yourself. Or the only batteries you can find are cheap knock-offs which often hardly last. When a "consumable" part cannot be replaced (or cost-effectively replaced) often in a matter of years measured in single digits, that is a certain amount of planned obsolescence... "planned" in the sense that it did not have to be that way. Rather they made a decision to not build in such a way as to maximize useful lifetime.

Perhaps they were prioritizing instead how to make the device as small as possible. And that's not entirely unjustifiable, in that maybe that decision helped them sell more products, since they have often made small size one of their key selling points. That's hard to quantify. But regardless, maximizing useful life was not the priority... and the fact is that, even if someone were comfortable with that trade-off, Apple still decided to not continue to even make technician-replaceable batteries available once a device passes a certain age.

Another issue is how new models cannot run older versions of the OS.

In the case of iOS, you can't roll back even to an earlier OS that ran on that very device, so you can easily find that some of your apps stop working after an update, and are lost to you forever, "obsoleting" perhaps one of the things you bought the device (or spent money for it) to do. Apple doesn't care. Rather than build maximum compatibility into their OS updates, they tell the developers it's up to them  to update their apps. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. This is another kind of planned (read "unnecessary") obsolescence that Apple has control over, even if it is not necessarily obsolescence of the Apple device itself, and is still something that could make the Apple device someone bought obsolete for what they had been using it for.

As for Mac OS, WIndows is much better at letting new hardware run old versions of the OS and/or older applications. Upgrading to a new Mac from an old one is more likely to also force you to need to buy updates to much of your software. This doesn't necessarily make Apple any more money (most Apple software updates are free), and I don't begrudge their desire/need to make major architectural changes (like 32->64 bit or Intel->Apple silicon), but again, it is an Apple-controlled "unnecessary" obsolescence of some of what their customers have paid for. So for example, Apple and Microsoft both built systems into their initial 64-bit builds that would allow their newer 64-bit OS to continue to run a customer's 32-bit apps. Windows carries that support forward indefinitely, while Apple's approach is to do it for a few years and then not bother, again obsoleting some of their customer's investment. 

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Apple seems to prioritize "user experience" in a general way, so I see it as kind of a vicious circle where innovations or advancements in hardware offer the ability to add features but require new OSes to use those features. Eventually the newer OSes are judged (by Apple) to degrade this "user experience" when run on older hardware, so bingo, they lock you out - regardless of your own "user experience." Some folks are upset, others more or less resigned to it – which is pretty much where I'm at, given the competitive nature of the tech world and the rapidity of advances in things both soft and hardware. When it comes to the major transitions I think Apple has actually been pretty good – Classic, Rosetta and Rosetta 2 being examples of that. They also gave plenty of notice to botjh devs and the general public (with those annoying "this app may not run on future versions of MacOS" alerts) when they went 64-bit only.

As far as batteries & ram specifically - if one is unhappy with Apple making these glued or soldered in, well it's not exactly a secret you find out about after you buy, is it? 🙂 There are other computers that let you replace and upgrade these things - buy those instead, if that feature is high on your "must have" list.

When it comes to this stuff, I see it as a question of where you want to compromise. I got ten years out of my late-2013 MacBook Pro and might even be using it still, if not for a (presumed) hardware fault I couldn't diagnose – but I figured it was time to go to Apple Silicon and 10 years is a good run imo. My old iPhone SE 2016 is frozen at iOS 15-something and runs my music rig just fine. I'm also OK with doing my own battery replacements, having opened up all my phones and computers, starting with a 1990s Mac 9500 tower (you had to take the logic board out to add ram!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, analogika said:

Your iPhone 6 got its last security update on JANUARY 23rd, 2023.

Eight years and four months after it was introduced. 

(six and four months after it was discontinued)

I get that you are talking about new functionality, not software support per se, yet, I find this argumentation disingenuous and annoying.

"Deliberately disabling" is NOT the same thing as "no longer updating it with new functionality". 

Your 2012 iMac continued to do *exactly* what it had always done when Apple stopped updating the software. The Emulator II librarian needs a 35-year-old ancient Mac operating system — that's "planned obsolescence" from a hardware manufacturer. 

Calling the celebration of 8 years of software support FOR A CELLPHONE a "joke" just because your own was only supported for FIVE YEARS isn't fair. For one, it assumes that Apple is under the obligation to perpetually enable your phone to do things it could not when you bought it, which is not how hardware — nor software — works. For another, it conflates "software support" — ensuring safe and secure operation via security updates — with "upgrades" that introduce new functionality. 

Even more ridiculous is the claim that Apple "invented planned obsolescence", considering the market at the time. 
In contrast, the highest-end Android phones back then were getting AT MOST barely two years of support, while the majority of phones were shipped from the start with outdated versions of Android that were never updated at all. 

This graphic predates the iPhone 6, but it gives a pretty good idea of what was going on, since you've apparently forgotten: 

fidlee-ios-vs-android-adoption-support.png.thumb.webp.8a6ffc54d3c2952d31cf6793a9ddb31b.webp

Note that this is both "software updates" in YOUR sense of the meaning — new versions, with new functionality — and "support updates" in my sense (the little dashes in the boxes).

All the iPhones listed were supported beyond the timeline shown here. The last security update for the iPhone 3GS came out in February 2014 — nearly five years after its release. It's not shown in this table. 

That Nexus 4 got dropped from regular software upgrades two years after release (in Nov 2014), and security updates stopped after exactly three years (as per google support page). 

But yeah, Apple invented planned obsolescence. 

We are drifting from music related topics a bit but this will affect developers of iPad and iOS music apps.

1. I got the iMac and iPhone 6 for building and testing iOS apps.

2. To build iOS apps requires using Apple's XCode software. 

3. Apple doesnt  allow old versions of XCode to put apps onto store. 

4. Apple doesn't allow new versions of XCode to run on non supported versions of MacOS. 

5. When Apple ended support for my iMac in 2018 this prevented new updates to MacOS. 

6. Without the latest MacOS, I couldn't run the latest XCode so could no longer build iOS apps on my Mac. So the very purpose I bought the kit for was removed. By Apple. For no reason other than they said so. It no longer runs the Apple software it did on day one because Apple says no. 

Same applies for the iPhone. It no longer can test new apps because Apple deliberately prevent me building apps for iOS12. XCode  removed all earlier versions than iOS 13 in 2019 IIRC. 

In both cases, security updates are worthless as Apple as stopped their own software from running.

Text book definition of planned obsolescence if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1

Another way Apple "obsoletes" old gear unnecessarily...

If you are still using an iOS device that is running an old OS (whether by choice, or because no newer OS is compatible with your device), and you go to download a new app, you may get a message that says "this app require a minimum of OS {something greater than what you have}." But here's the rub... if you have another iOS device with the newer OS, you can download it on that device, then go back to the original device, which will now tell you something like "the current version of this app requires a newer OS, would you like to download an older version?" THE OLDER VERSION WAS THERE ALL THE TIME. They just won't let you download it unless you own a newer device as well. It's a forced, unnecessary reduction in the usability of your older device, unless you purchase a newer device. In a way, my newest device is a "dongle" that allows my older devices to have the software I want on them. It would take no more work to just allow the older devices to download the older versions in the first place. As far as I can see, this behavior exists for no reason except to tempt people with no-longer-updatable OS versions to ditch their device and buy a new one.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)