Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple announces Logic Pro for iPad

17 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Hmm, most definitely I'd have a use case for what you just mentioned:  live show recordings.  Our mixer won't let you simply connect up a hard drive, you need a computer.  Assuming it could connect to an ipad instead of a computer, that would be ideal (I already bring out my ipad but dislike having to find a spot for a laptop).   I'd then take the project and get it somehow over to my mac at home.  Whether or not the band wants me recording more shows, there's another matter :) 

Other than that, not sure I see any advantage over just bringing my laptop where I need Logic.

Why not just bring a small recorder like a Zoom or other handheld recorder then sent one of the outputs of the mixer to the recorder.    Unless your mixer has an audio interface and you want each channel then you're going to need a computer and a DAW, a hard drive isn't going to work.  

Oh I definitely would want each independent track.    Recording out front is fine for hearing screwups but I like mixing the tunes after the fact, sounds miles better and its fun.

Our old QSC touchmix could record each track to a usb hard drive, I actually bought a "fast" thumb drive to see if that would work for around 10 tracks but then we switched to a Behringer XR18 and that needs a computer.

34 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Oh I definitely would want each independent track.    Recording out front is fine for hearing screwups but I like mixing the tunes after the fact, sounds miles better and its fun.

Our old QSC touchmix could record each track to a usb hard drive, I actually bought a "fast" thumb drive to see if that would work for around 10 tracks but then we switched to a Behringer XR18 and that needs a computer.

I looked at the TouchMix webpage and it is a DAW and recorder as well as a mixer which is why you can offload its file to storage.  

it has a utility to convert its file to a format to import into other DAWs.    So it's kind of a unique product and not your typical mixer.   

37 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I looked at the TouchMix webpage and it is a DAW and recorder as well as a mixer which is why you can offload its file to storage.  

it has a utility to convert its file to a format to import into other DAWs.    So it's kind of a unique product and not your typical mixer.   

I have a TouchMix 8 and this is exactly how I use it. Works great while being an excellent mixer.

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

allen & Heath q-pac.  mix FOH and monitors from your phone all while independently recording 18 tracks to a USB thumb drive in 24bit wav files that load into any DAW. (or straight into a laptop as an interface)  i've recorded a bunch of location records with this thing. all in 4 rack spaces. used to be a LOT cheaper, but there's used ones around.

spacer.png

On 5/11/2023 at 3:06 AM, CyberGene said:

you can basically access the entire full app for €5 for an entire month.

Another perspective, $50 per year is less than $1 a week! I understand the pushback on subscriptions (since it's really a RENTAL, not a subscription), but the pricing is still inexpensive for software.

13 hours ago, Stokely said:

Hmm, most definitely I'd have a use case for what you just mentioned:  live show recordings.  Our mixer won't let you simply connect up a hard drive, you need a computer.  Assuming it could connect to an ipad instead of a computer, that would be ideal (I already bring out my ipad but dislike having to find a spot for a laptop).   I'd then take the project and get it somehow over to my mac at home.  Whether or not the band wants me recording more shows, there's another matter :) 

Other than that, not sure I see any advantage over just bringing my laptop where I need Logic.

Interesting point - if Logic is a studio tool, why is iPad a better platform than a laptop? One answer is perhaps the new touch-enabled features: step sequencer et al. 

Cheers, Mike.

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Interesting point - if Logic is a studio tool, why is iPad a better platform than a laptop? One answer is perhaps the new touch-enabled features: step sequencer et al. 

Cheers, Mike.

Apart from multi-touch mixing, which is a bit of a big thing, the point isn’t so much that iPad is *better*, rather, that it will eventually become the default, going forward. There will be very good and very specific reasons to get a Mac for anything iPad can’t handle, but the de-facto „computer“ will be the iPad. 

I’m already seeing this with my daughter. She is sixteen, does everything on an iPad, and will probably never own a laptop, let alone a desktop. 

So it makes perfect sense to support that platform as far as it can go. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

37 minutes ago, analogika said:

I’m already seeing this with my daughter. She is sixteen, does everything on an iPad, and will probably never own a laptop, let alone a desktop. 

Yes, these pick up from something I said earlier. There are people who would potentially like to run Logic, and don't own (or have exclusive, unfettered access to) Macs. Or, perhaps, any laptop/desktop computer at all. But they may own (or be more inclined to acquire) an iPad.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

34 minutes ago, analogika said:

Apart from multi-touch mixing, which is a bit of a big thing, the point isn’t so much that iPad is *better*, rather, that it will eventually become the default, going forward. There will be very good and very specific reasons to get a Mac for anything iPad can’t handle, but the de-facto „computer“ will be the iPad. 

So it makes perfect sense to support that platform as far as it can go. 

show me the ipad with removeable storage (microSD), multiple port connections, 32 or 64GB ram, and a dedicated audio out jack and we'll talk.

Only speaking for myself, but an ipad would *not* be better in any way at home.  I am very happy with a laptop (or desktop) feeding my 32" monitor and regular mouse and keyboard.  I have no desire to use touch screens in fact I prefer keyboards for example without them.

Heck there is the Logic remote app already but I have only dabbled with it.  I can play keyboards right at my desk and record vocals right there as well.

The only reason I prefer an ipad for live is the form factor.  I can velcro the thing to my bottom (or top) keyboard and it's not going to fall off or get in the way.  No monitor, mouse or keyboard needed.  A laptop isn't terrible, but it requires me to find a spot for it and that's sometimes difficult on our stages.  There is a laptop attachment for my main stand (K&M Omega), I'd probably get that if I were to start using a laptop for mainstage or recording.

16 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

show me the ipad with removeable storage (microSD), multiple port connections, 32 or 64GB ram, and a dedicated audio out jack and we'll talk.

You can already buy one with 16 GB RAM and Thunderbolt/USB4. By the time the major sample libraries are finally available as AUv3, which will certainly take a number of years yet, you’ll surely be able to buy an iPad with 32 GB. 

No Mac has ever had microSD, and I’m a little confused why you’d want that super slow and unreliable format, given that you have 10 Gbps external storage. Full-size SD for photo transfer, I can understand, but I still find the dedicated slot on my M2 Pro supremely annoying and would prefer an extra USB-C port. But if that’s your criterion, you’ll certainly never own an iPad. 

Headphone jack, I hear you. Though if you’re connecting an interface, there’s really no necessity for a minijack. Still, I wouldn’t want to miss it off the MacBook. 

This is the first iteration, and it’s not even released yet. It will grow and thrive, even as you skeptically stand with arms crossed. Nothing to say you can’t keep working the way you are today. 
The world will move on. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

14 minutes ago, analogika said:

No Mac has ever had microSD, and I’m a little confused why you’d want that super slow and unreliable format, given that you have 10 Gbps external storage. Full-size SD for photo transfer, I can understand, but I still find the dedicated slot on my M2 Pro supremely annoying and would prefer an extra USB-C port. But if that’s your criterion, you’ll certainly never own an iPad. 

if i'm gonna do DAW work on an ipad, chances are it will be while i'm on a plane.  Perhaps you've never recorded a live 24 track show to a card, removed it and popped it into your laptop and instantly been able to rough mix it on the flight home (with no drives,dongles etc hanging off the box other than headphones into a HEADPHONE jack)...Then pop out the card and pop it into your studio rig to finish when you get home?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

As another person above said, iPads with M1/M2 cpus have Thunderbolt 4-port, and, you can easily connect some TB/USB-C hub with every port you need for sound, storage, power supply, midi-controllers…

Get it, iPad is, and will be, the future for many ex desktop people running Logic Pro or many other Pro software (as the new Pianoteq 8) etc etc…

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

if i'm gonna do DAW work on an ipad, chances are it will be while i'm on a plane.  Perhaps you've never recorded a live 24 track show to a card, removed it and popped it into your laptop and instantly been able to rough mix it on the flight home (with no drives,dongles etc hanging off the box other than headphones into a HEADPHONE jack)...Then pop out the card and pop it into your studio rig to finish when you get home?  

Or just use your laptop on the plane? I haven't had much of an issue with that. Of course this is most useful if the laptop is your main computer at home too – no transferring of anything needed, and you'll have all your AUs and VSTs with you as well. Even if your home computer is a desktop, transferring from a laptop to desktop Mac is probably going to be easier than from an iPad to any Mac.

We've all seen the videos of the M-chipped MacBook Airs doing 100+ tracks with plugins up the yinyang - is it really that much harder to carry on a plane than an iPad?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Or just use your laptop on the plane? I haven't had much of an issue with that.  

exactly. i thought i made it clear that that is what i do now. Given that an ipad is supposed to be that much "more" portable it ideally should be less encumbered by adapter thingies having hang off all over it.

50 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

iPads with M1/M2 cpus have Thunderbolt 4-port, and, you can easily connect some TB/USB-C hub with every port you need for sound, storage, power supply, midi-controllers…

as mentioned as nauseum, who wants crap hanging off their nice, sleek ipad? it's bad enough now trying to do midi in, power in, and audio in/out in a tidy manner.

also, and more importantly, show me an APPLE branded dock or hub.  AFAIK, they do not exist which opens the door for SO much finger pointing when the 3rd party hub doesn't play nice. fwiw, i bought at least 5 diff brand hub/docks until i got one that played nice with my macbook. 

You guys don’t get it. Apple is marketing this to the new generation of creators, not us. Just watch their advertisements on their website regarding this new software on iPads.  No one is above 25 years old. 

Personally, I will be subscribing to both programs. I use my iPad Pro more than my Macbook Pro. 

• Like 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I could never gel with my iPad Pro for years. Only used it as an expensive score reader on my piano. Gave it away to my daughter and she's so happy with it. We're old, they are young, get on with it and move on. We can keep using our wonderful Mac-s with Logic Pro and they can use iPad-s with Logic Pro, everyone is happy 😉

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I could never gel with my iPad Pro for years. Only used it as an expensive score reader on my piano. Gave it away to my daughter and she's so happy with it. We're old, they are young, get on with it and move on. We can keep using our wonderful Mac-s with Logic Pro and they can use iPad-s with Logic Pro, everyone is happy 😉

It’s funny, because when the iPad first came out, I thought that it was going to be a big loser. Boy, did I get that wrong!

• Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

8 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

when the iPad first came out, I thought that it was going to be a big loser.

Yeah, I also thought that was not gonna work. BTW, I love my iPhone and one may think that the iPad, being a much larger iPhone, should be even better but no, doesn't work for me. I can't hold it with one hand and if I have to put it on a desk then the MacBook is much better. But yeah, we're getting old... 😕

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

You guys don’t get it. Apple is marketing this to the new generation of creators, not us. Just watch their advertisements on their website regarding this new software on iPads.  No one is above 25 years old.

One of the big problems with computers is there isn't any entry-level equivalent of a Yamaha $99 acoustic guitar. Companies have come up with lite software versions, but they're still convoluted when used with a conventional computer. Smartphone apps are fun, but they can only take you so far. Tablets hit a sweet spot. And given the variations among Android tablets, Apple has the field all to itself, at least for now (and probably well into the future).

Just like other entry-level gear, some people will drop off, but some people will move up to more powerful computers and software. Meanwhile, Apple will have captured them into the Apple Ecosystem. Apple is creating its next market rather than just trying to tap what's out there. That's why Apple is Apple :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nievski said:

Another perspective, $50 per year is less than $1 a week! I understand the pushback on subscriptions (since it's really a RENTAL, not a subscription), but the pricing is still inexpensive for software.

On its own, but subscriptions don't take long to add up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PianoMan51 said:

This dates me, but…

I remember how frustrated and angry I was when MSDOS turned into Windows. I already knew how to do everything I wanted!

Come on, just pull up a command line and type…

yup as a SysAdmin Window, Unix, even Mac since it's built on BSD give me a command line.   Made a lot of money writing scripts to do any task that had to be repeated.  People don't realize a lot of the Mac utility apps are just GUI's put on command line tools.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Apple already did/does that with Garageband (which is free).

Unless I'm missing something, there wasn't an upward move other than going to desktop/laptop to run Logic Pro. Logic Pro on iPad bridges the gap between GarageBand iOS and Logic macOS. I think that's a demographic Apple is smart to address.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

Unless I'm missing something, there wasn't an upward move other than going to desktop/laptop to run Logic Pro. Logic Pro on iPad bridges the gap between GarageBand iOS and Logic macOS. I think that's a demographic Apple is smart to address.

Yes, I am pretty sure being on mobile device is exactly that.  To get work done with a lightweight, thin piece of gear you have in your bag.  It’s more about transferring your mobile work to a more robust machine to finish the project later if you need more power. If you even need it. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

Logic Pro on iPad bridges the gap between GarageBand iOS and Logic macOS. I think that's a demographic Apple is smart to address.

Apple likes to push technology into the consumer space and that's pretty exciting because the consumer side tends to breed a lot of innovation. It will be fun to watch pros, who don't mind coming up with new workflows, using re-purposed consumer tools. And of course amateurs, who don't know any better, just doing what comes naturally with the new tools! 

In contrast, professional tech tends to hit a hard plateau for stability & reliability and I think the dividing lines will be Logic Pro projects thet seriously require:

1. Screen real estate

2. Horsepower

3. Connectivity

4,. Storage

THE BIG QUESTION:

Will it be actually usable as Logic Pro Mobile?

OR will it be known as GarageBand Plus, because functionality isn't as good expected.

That still remains to be determined.