Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple announces Logic Pro for iPad

43 minutes ago, Nievski said:

Logic Pro iOS is looking really nice ...

1. Multi-touch Mixer looks cool.

2. Step Sequencer looks very usable (dare I say, looks fun!)

3. Live Loops (aka Session View) looks live-performance friendly!

What I would like to see is a way to link the iPad/Logic with the Macbook/Logic to give me the power and flexibility of the MacBook and the touchscreen interface of the iPad.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

As I use Logic now I can't see the iPad being too useful. But I could see it being really cool in ways I haven't imagined yet. As they lean into the Ableton style stuff it makes more sense.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Already bought Logic Pro X after Apple discontinued support for the previous version, and I do love my iPad, but no reason to get the IOS version for me. GarageBand is good for sketching out ideas, and can be imported into Logic Pro. Korg gadget is another cost effective DAW.

Logic remote is also free and connected to a Mac, provides a nice extra screen/remote.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

It's the time of year when I remind everyone that Apple should release MainStage for iPad. This year Elmer beat me to it.

Cheers, Mike.

Mainstage with full AU support and no subscription. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ibarch said:

Mainstage with full AU support and no subscription. 

I'm of the view that any supplier can charge what they want for a product, and any consumer can choose not to pay it. You're no worse off than if the product had never been released.

Cheers, Mike.

Apple's Pro apps on iPad is a big deal.  We've been wondering if/when/how iOS and macOS merge since the hardware is already the same.  They've coyly been tweaking iPad OS for productivity a feature at a time.  If you've ever thrown your iPad into landscape mode with a smart connector powered keyboard... the trackpad gives you a dot for mouse location, iPad OS 15 gave us keyboard shortcuts.  In iPad OS 16, there's Stage Manager for multitasking, collaborative document editing, DaVinci resolve, Logic Pro, Final Cut, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fresco, etc.  

iOS touch screen apps on MacBooks without a touch screen don't make a lot of sense.  But it looks like they are coming from the other side.  Building up iPad OS to run "real" apps on the same SoC as we find in their "computers".  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I'm not gigging yet, we only practice and currently we compose new songs and prepare repertoire for an eventual gig some day (probably never) 🤣 So, with that in mind I'm not the one who you're asking... But I use MacBook with Logic Pro for these sessions. The reason is we don't have a drummer, so I use the Logic Pro Drummer on a track, a sequenced bass on another track and one (or more) MIDI tracks that I control with my Numa X Piano 73 which also plays a Rhodes piano from its onboard sounds. It's a pretty complicated setup, to be honest (but I'm a software engineer by trade, so no worries here), and I also own Mainstage and was wondering if it could eventually help me once we're settled on the final arrangement and I can then export the Drummer track and the sequenced bass to audio tracks that will be replayed in MainStage. However there's something I am not sure is possible on the MainStage. I often use the Live loop cells in Logic Pro. Not sure how many of you are familiar with that, they are more for modern type of music but I use them also in our creative process. Here's how:

So, I lay down some linear regions for the Drummer track, for the bass, etc. But since it's still not a finalized arrangement, I switch to Live Loop mode and drag those regions from the tracks view to the live loop cells. This then allows me to dynamically switch between intro, chorus, verse, etc. (so to speak) and we can loop in any of these parts as long as we want, improvising and creating melodies/lyrics, etc. on the fly until we're happy and then we just move on to another part when we decide so, without having to stop, we just make signs (what was that, non-verbal communication? 😉)

got it, that's helpful, thanks Gene

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

If they bring Mainstage to the iPad, I don't think it would be a subscription. That model is more justifiable for what would otherwise be a $200 program than it would be for what is only a $30 program. They could charge the same $30 on iPad, without devaluing their desktop version, and it would be a price nobody would complain about.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Re: Mainstage. I may be wrong but to me it seems like it's actually Logic Pro underneath only with a different frontend. You can (sloppily) recreate MainStage by adding enough tracks in a Logic Pro project and selectively solo/mute them to emulate switching between patches (where a patch can be multiple tracks for a layer/split). And of course there's the great mapping stuff between controls and anything.

What I'm saying is, Mainstage looks deceptively simple compared to Logic Pro but to me it's exactly the same underneath, only tweaked with a different UI to turn a DAW into a tool for live playing. With that in mind, once you have the big machinery (Logic Pro) ported for iPad, you can then easily make MainStage for iPad. I'm pretty sure we'll see it soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RABid said:

What I would like to see is a way to link the iPad/Logic with the Macbook/Logic to give me the power and flexibility of the MacBook and the touchscreen interface of the iPad.

There’s an iOS app called LogicRemote that makes an iPad or iPhone a remote control interface for Logic on a Mac. I have it. It works well. It’s actually more than a remote as it also shows some Logic info, like levels, on the iOS device. 

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Re: Mainstage. I may be wrong but to me it seems like it's actually Logic Pro underneath only with a different frontend. You can (sloppily) recreate MainStage by adding enough tracks in a Logic Pro project and selectively solo/mute them to emulate switching between patches (where a patch can be multiple tracks for a layer/split). And of course there's the great mapping stuff between controls and anything.

What I'm saying is, Mainstage looks deceptively simple compared to Logic Pro but to me it's exactly the same underneath, only tweaked with a different UI to turn a DAW into a tool for live playing. With that in mind, once you have the big machinery (Logic Pro) ported for iPad, you can then easily make MainStage for iPad. I'm pretty sure we'll see it soon.

I’m certain the two share a lot of code.  But the interface and readily accessible feature set for building patches, set lists, input devices and assigning functionality and behaviors is different.   The instruments, fx, patches, mixer, and a lot of other things is the same.  Yes, I agree it’s coming, sooner than later.   

Note, an M2 iPad Pro can be spec’d up to 2tb of storage and 16gb of RAM. It’s the touchscreen MacBook Air many have been waiting for.  

No To Subscriptions...

IF they will do the same for a possible upcoming mac version Logic pro i will switch to another DAW...

• Like 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Why is a subscription so unacceptable? At $50 a year it means 4 years to pay what the desktop version costs. 4 years is a lot of time and means continuous usage. If you will not be using it all the time you can pay on a monthly basis $5 a month. And not pay when not needed.

22 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Why is a subscription so unacceptable? At $50 a year it means 4 years to pay what the desktop version costs. 4 years is a lot of time and means continuous usage. If you will not be using it all the time you can pay on a monthly basis $5 a month. And not pay when not needed.

The difference all these years was that you paid the expensive apple hardware but you had a profit using their programs because was much cheaper from the competition...

If they will make the mistake to do the same with the desktop versions of the programs, i believe that a lot of users will switch to other programs or to windows based systems. I do not want to do it but if they will force me, i will do it(i use logic pro since 2008).

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

Yes, we want Mainstage for iOS but

1) Without subscription

2) And with full AU support. That means (to me) to be able to transfer my Mainstage patches from my Mac to my iPad with little or no money. 

But i don't see it coming

Having to recreate all my patches adding new ones (let's say au lieu de Scarbee within Kontakt-Scarbee within Korg Module, instead of Arturia synths-iOS syntns etc etc) is a huge PITA. Plus the iOS user will have to purchase the iOS version of synths he already have payed for, unless there's some kind of agreement with Apple to giveaway the iOS versions to owners of the original VST versions 

But better wait and see 

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Re: subscription vs one-time purchase. Take in mind Logic Pro on the Mac is seen by Apple as something that attracts people to Macs. Macs are a small percentage of the entire computer market. They can afford selling Logic Pro for such a lucrative price because they make up with the hardware and the ecosystem. However the case with the iPad is not the same. There's no competition for the iPad and it's ubiquitous. People will buy it anyway. They won't "switch" to it because of Logic Pro for iPad since they already own an iPad. And I doubt Logic Pro on the iPad would be a full-blown DAW that can replace the desktop version. 

• Like 1

Subscriptions are the wrong way to go, and I won't use them. It's a new overhead, and in the UK at least, would save you precious little on your tax bill (I spent £3600 on new boards recently and will get £500 off the tax bill at most). I'm very happy to pay upfront for software that lasts me over a decade with updates. Until now, Apples business model works through profiting from the hardware they sell to enable you to use Logic in the first place. The £200 or so it costs is almost like a nominal fee.

• Like 2

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Re: subscription vs one-time purchase. Take in mind Logic Pro on the Mac is seen by Apple as something that attracts people to Macs. Macs are a small percentage of the entire computer market. They can afford selling Logic Pro for such a lucrative price because they make up with the hardware and the ecosystem. However the case with the iPad is not the same. There's no competition for the iPad and it's ubiquitous. People will buy it anyway. They won't "switch" to it because of Logic Pro for iPad since they already own an iPad. And I doubt Logic Pro on the iPad would be a full-blown DAW that can replace the desktop version. 

1. Everything present in advertising for Logic Pro for iPad showing that the iPad-version is a complete Logic Pro, but, with touch optimized functions…

2. You don’t have to subscribe to Logic Pro, but, 50 bucks a year for the most advanced app ever on a tablet is nothing to complain about…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

1. Everything present in advertising for Logic Pro for iPad showing that the iPad-version is a complete Logic Pro, but, with touch optimized functions…

2. You don’t have to subscribe to Logic Pro, but, 50 bucks a year for the most advanced app ever on a tablet is nothing to complain about…

Ipad is the industry standard and there is no competition. And 50 euros is a lot of money. I have logic pro for mac for 8 or 9 years for 200 euros...

2 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

50 euros without being the owner of something, is a lot. The notion of really owning your gear plays a role to this subscription rejection 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

This all depends on Apple’s intentions for iOS. If they make it more like macOS at some point, then third party plugins are possible. At the moment, no. 

But, if Spectrasonics, as example, did release Keyscape as an AU3 app on iOS you could route MIDI to the application and audio back the way iPad owners have been doing for a number of years now. 

AUv3 is the new standard on iOS, and the plugins/apps combination works on macOS as well — Moog plugins, for example, work fine on both platforms. 

support is explicitly mentioned on the product page, and clarified in footnote #4

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/?cid=wwa-us-yt-shr-ipadprologicinfocard#footnote-4

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

40 minutes ago, analogika said:

AUv3 is the new standard on iOS, and the plugins/apps combination works on macOS as well

I thought AUv3 was iOS-only. I'm guessing they run in an Apple Silicon Mac inside an iPad app – is that what you mean by "works on macOS as well"? Are there really AUv3 plugins I can get for my older Intel Mac that will work in my DAW and VI host program?

24 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I thought AUv3 was iOS-only. I'm guessing they run in an Apple Silicon Mac inside an iPad app – is that what you mean by "works on macOS as well"? Are there really AUv3 plugins I can get for my older Intel Mac that will work in my DAW and VI host program?

If a developer writes an AUv3 it’s going to run on iOS and macOS.  The issue is typically that the developer has to create a graphic user interface that works on iOS device screen sizes and uses iOS gui rules/norms.  Many music Apps for iOS (not all) are already in AU3 format and will work with Garage Band.  I’m not sure yet how Apple is dealing with Logic Pro projects going back and forth between macOS and iOS when using third party AU3 in the projects. Obviously the plug-in has to be installed on both devices to work. 

• Like 2

I recently bought an M1 iPad Pro mostly for a useable alternative to hauling around sheets and sheets of music, but I also justified the considerable cost (including a Magic Keyboard) on the basis that for me it could also effectively replace my aged Macbook Pro. I have found that to be the case for everything bar music so far. Besides Garageband, I also downloaded a ton of other stuff such as Beatmaker 3, Korg Gadget, Drambo and Koala. They were fun to play around with but felt a bit basic and clunky. The iPad version of Logic looks like it might finally get me at least using the iPad as a serious scratchpad while I’m away from home. With the line between Mac OS and iOS blurring further by the moment, I’m confident we’ll see the big plug-in makers enter this space in the wake of this announcement.

I don’t care much for subscription plans either, but let’s face it, you’d struggle to buy a nice dinner for two these days for 50 bucks, so it doesn’t strike me as exorbitant. I’m pretty sure I can write it against tax. Dave Keys, I believe the reason you only saw 500 quid off the last tax bill is that those new boards are classed as capital assets and so the expenditure is amortised over several tax years. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t write a subscription off fully against tax as it’s comparable to, say, your mobile phone bill. 

Frankly, I’d be more worried that Apple may be considering shifting to subscription on Mac OS Logic. I think it would be suicidal if they did, but… I think they see this as a way of getting extra revenue for those who want the specific convenience of creating on iPad.

With regards to Final Cut making an appearance on iPad, I can only hope it bucks Blackmagic up into releasing a fully functioning (without shortcut wrangling, at least) version of Davinci. 

As it happens, I have a short holiday booked at the end of this month at an isolated country cottage. I was going to take the creaking MBP with me to make some music, but instead I shall download Logic iOS and see how I go.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

3 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Goodbye…

Bro you have two posts under your belt, but you're already ballistic and a little ironic 😉

R u working for Apple? 

2 hours ago, yannis D said:

50 euros without being the owner of something, is a lot. The notion of really owning your gear plays a role to this subscription rejection 

Hundreds of million people is living in apartments that they don’t own, they pay subscription fee to the real estate company…

50 bucks for using Logic Pro on iPad for a whole year, bargain…

If yon can’t afford it, don’t jump on the train and go for the free Garageband… Easy choice…

• Dislike 2