Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things that people write in gear ads that make you cringe....

Mint condition, except for a missing knob and some scratches on the wood.  Easy to fix.

New in box, barely used it at home only a few times.

Gently used floor model.

Top of the line, sells for over $3,000 new (but is a 15 year old model out of production)

Never gigged, only used at our church.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I see this way more with my other expensive hobby (aquaria), but this one is baffling:

Show a picture of something dirty and dusty and then type in your ad "will clean up before you buy" or "needs to be cleaned up".   

Guitar center has a keyboard right now at a great price (for that keyboard) and "great" condition, then the description is "has shipping damage"....uh, which one is it?

I've said all of those things in ads, with missing keywords (that is, different wording and details from yours) that eliminate the cringe factor. 🙂

For instance, it can be tricky when you want to make sure something is OK before selling, even though you never used it, so off comes the shrink wrap?

The specialty vendors I shop from (directly, not via auction sites), insist on opening things before sending, to make sure they're OK, or to do free setup/checks.

The wording in your examples however, cannot be excused as "threading the needle", and should be considered downright dishonest, even if unintentionally so. 🙂

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's not easy being green, so I'd harbor a guess that green isn't photogenic. Nevertheless, the brand name says it all.

• Haha 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

I see this way more with my other expensive hobby (aquaria), but this one is baffling:

Show a picture of something dirty and dusty and then type in your ad "will clean up before you buy" or "needs to be cleaned up".   

Guitar center has a keyboard right now at a great price (for that keyboard) and "great" condition, then the description is "has shipping damage"....uh, which one is it?

I guess it's a matter of where does the scale start? perhaps "Destroyed in shipping" would equate with "Good Condition"?

An empty box that used to contain the item might be described as "Fair", as in "Fare thee well".

1 hour ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Vintage. As in-

Vintage Yamaha PSR 200.

Anything 20 years old is called vintage by sellers now even if they were common, not collectable, generally not desirable.

Sorry, old is not equal to vintage. Sometimes old just means junk.

20 years is generous! My guitarist just bought a "Vintage Squier" from 2006!

About 20 years ago there was an eBay listing for a set of Moog Taurus pedals.  The description was so spirited that I printed it out as a laugh.  I don't remember much (I'm away from the house) but one stands out "bass so fat you'll have to put your studio on a diet!"

I've seen plenty of cringe-worthy gear descriptions...

• Haha 1

Lowrey organs from the ‘70s or ancient Yamaha Clavinova examples that read like “my grandfather bought this new for $12,000 and it was state of the art for its time. Willing to sell for $8,000 or best offer.”

I sometimes have friends reach out to me as they know I’m a keyboard player, “hey man my mom is looking to get rid of her old spinet piano, do you want to buy it or help me sell it?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real MC said:

About 20 years ago there was an eBay listing for a set of Moog Taurus pedals.  The description was so spirited that I printed it out as a laugh.  I don't remember much (I'm away from the house) but one stands out "bass so fat you'll have to put your studio on a diet!"

I've seen plenty of cringe-worthy gear descriptions...

These days that would be parroting of typical Youtube-speak, so many broadcasters wanting to come off as interesting, or worse entertaining, when they have no personality for it.

Someday I'm going to write my own and be completely honest:

"Complete junk taking up space in my closet, but makes noise and will hold your interest for a while.  Much cheaper than buying a new gizmo and then losing interest.  Price negotiable on how quickly you can come and take it away."

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

11 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Sorry, old is not equal to vintage. 

Actually it pretty much is. Vintage has nothing to do with quality or being desirable. You can have a vintage 57 Chevy or a vintage 77 Pinto. I think it just tends to be used more in a presumed flattering way because the word got its start with (and is most commonly associated with) wine.

Anyway, my fav was one where a guy was selling a keyboard he claimed was "barely used" (which may be true) and therefore justified in selling it for $950 (the going new price was around $1000). He seemed miffed when I called asking if that was a typo. 

I'm selling my beloved "insert gear here". I don't really want to part with it, but I really need you to give me top dollar because it's so special to me.  😆

I'm selling my legendary "...."     Ha?  It's so legendary, I've never heard of it.

Up for sale, or up for grabs is my "...."  Is it just me, or is stating the obvious with these extra words a bit superfluous?

Conversation between 2 keyboardists,

Person A: My keyboard collection is quite old, so it's not worth much.

Person B: My keyboard collection is sooooo old, it's worth a fortune!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Same gear as played by [insert musician here] or played on [insert recording here]. 

As if that's going to make a difference once it lands in the new owner's hands. 🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't have anything specific in terms of trigger words, but I always cringe when I see someone describing an item and it's clear that they are not versed at ALL in music gear and how quickly it changes. They will go on and on about their (truly) mint condition M1 that "sounds exactly like a piano". Then they post a heartbreakingly earnest price. What's worse is when they are elderly. Especially in my area, which is as "rural" as you can get within 30 minutes of Chicago, there are a lot of abandoned guitars, drums, and keyboards that were probably a significant part of a family's budget when purchased for a kid that just had to have it. It all makes me cringe in empathy.

• Sad 1

"For instance" is not proof.

Gear ads, Italian style.

Last year, after a quick look at the ads for keyboards, I wrote this.

(I used Google Translate, so a few terms or sentences could sound bizarre)

Unrepeatable opportunity! I'm selling with great reluctance super fabulous unobtainable Yahrolkorg XYZ-49H Fart Generator, almost analog digital vintage. In perfect aesthetic, functional, electrical, electronic, electromechanical, physical, chemical and psychic condition. Unless you are brain-damaged, this crazy synth, a milestone in the history of music, certainly needs no introduction: 7 monophonic voices and 11 memories, fabulous sounds, screaming bass. Maniacally kept, pulled out 2 times from its pressurized case (not included in the price) and used a total of 20 minutes in the studio where no one has smoked for three generations, it still has not one but 3 superimposed films on its display! Only problem 12 keys that don't play, otherwise everything is perfect - apart from 4 broken sliders and 5 missing buttons. Only the headphone output works, or rather only the left channel, and the pitch wheel has a fixed range of 15 octaves, but apart from these very small problems that can be easily fixed with a few euros, the instrument is absolutely to be considered as new. Price strictly not negotiable, don't even try. I know it's two and a half times the new price, but considering the prestige and rarity of the instrument, consider yourself lucky – in fact I'll only sell it to you if I like you and you care for my own football team. Time wasters keep away, only motivated buyers capable of appreciating such an ultra-wonderful gem for connoisseurs: I request a non-refundable deposit of 80 euros to try it for 15 minutes under the watchful eye of a hungry rottweiler; 10 euros surcharge for each additional minute. Gift price, doubles tomorrow! Hurry up and don't miss this opportunity to own the legendary XYZ-49H, a synth beyond time and space!

• Haha 3

On 4/12/2023 at 7:42 PM, elif said:

The weirdest I've seen was someone selling old saxophone reeds (used) on ebay as "vintage".  I am not kidding.

Not weird at all! I've even had people ask me if I have some specific ones available. Quality reed is ever harder to find as a source material, which makes it ironic that Vandoren mostly now has 9 out of 10 vs. 1 out of 10 good reeds per box.

Some brands are out of business but still loved and/or changed production style and/or source/origin/country. I gave some La Bella reeds to several people recently.

Perhaps there is an unspoken part that is missing from your statement though. Are you referring to USED reeds? I am specifically talking about NIB unused vintage reeds. If stored properly, they can last eons.

On 4/13/2023 at 3:29 AM, analogika said:

Do we need to do an intervention?