Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Stopped Motorboating on its own?

My C3 (59 I think) has been motorboating for years. I zapped the scanner once and it fixed it. Problem came back as expected so I knew I'd have to have the scanner rebuilt. I keep meaning to. just haven't got around to it yet 

Anyway, yesterday all of a sudden, the C/V works just fine. Any ideas why this would happen?

I have seen this happen before. The little metal fingers that grow can move if the organ is jolted or moved.

I've been able to clear some organs by zapping, and others needed the scanner popped out, opened and cleaned.

You can actually pull the scanner off the end of the run motor and open for cleaning without unsoldering any wires. 

• Like 1

Moe

---

10 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

I have seen this happen before. The little metal fingers that grow can move if the organ is jolted or moved.

I've been able to clear some organs by zapping, and others needed the scanner popped out, opened and cleaned.

You can actually pull the scanner off the end of the run motor and open for cleaning without unsoldering any wires. 

Now that you mention it, I did just move it to the other side of the room.

I recently purchased a Hammond B2 that was not working. The owner had partially disassembled the scanner and motor. He stated it had been making a loud cyclic squeak. I rebuilt the scanner per the the Benton website article. After putting the scanner back in, the B2 is still making the cyclic audio squeak. Any ideas anyone?Thanks, Kelly

3 hours ago, Kelly Gibson said:

I recently purchased a Hammond B2 that was not working. The owner had partially disassembled the scanner and motor. He stated it had been making a loud cyclic squeak. I rebuilt the scanner per the the Benton website article. After putting the scanner back in, the B2 is still making the cyclic audio squeak. Any ideas anyone?Thanks, Kelly

Dry bearing in the generator? Maybe oil the organ if it's not been done in awhile.

Moe

---

I should have been more clear on my description. The squeak is in the audio, I don’t hear a mechanical noise. The generator is fairly quiet. It is a high-pitched cyclic tone and I suspect it is related to the vibrato/chorus scanner.  Also, the tone changes when the vibrato/ chorus switches are used. I guess it could also be in the generator. 

thanks

Kelly

1 hour ago, mate stubb said:

Tone should get a bit brighter when using CV - that's by design.

Microphonic preamp tube? I'm just speculating because I can't hear it. Can you post an audio clip?

I was going to suggest checking the tubes, good call!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

37 minutes ago, Kelly Gibson said:

Here is a recording of the audio output from my B2.

Thanks

Kelly

Yikes! Something is not happy. That is well beyond my pay grade. Might be time for a tech visit, unless you are a tech. 

I left a Hammond M1 in Fresno, didn't want to deal with it. Had that Hammond sound!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The B2 was sitting in a garage, probably for many years.  I have just oiled it a few days ago as I was putting the scanner back in.  It did appear to be dry. A tonewheel makes sense as a possible source.  I’ll take a look at the generator. 

Thanks!
Kelly

Yes, It makes the sound with no keys pressed, no drawbars out, and vibrato/chorus off.  The sound does change a little while switching the vibrato switches . The Keyboard still produces sound when drawbars are pulled out. The squeaking noise is very loud. Much louder than the keyboard sound.

thanks

Kelly

we had had a bearing go on a C2 , as i remember it was more of a screeching sound . but yours does sound related to a bearing considering

the pulse sounds in sync with the generator RPM . with ours , the bearing was spinning in the chassis . i was later told it was fixable , don't know 

about that . luckily we had another generator from a spare organ and swapped it .