Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want a modern Kurzweil Micro Piano.

CEB

I'm fine with software in the studio if latency can be sufficiently minimized.  Plugging in a laptop or phone for a live performance always feels like its draining a bit of mojo out of me.  I recognize that problem is in my head, not the real world, but that doesn't make it less real to me.  Maybe there's some sort of therapy I can do for that, which would likely involve beautiful women, Tennessee whiskey, and usb converters (and also, unfortunately, a likely divorce).

If someone made a good piano in a box, I would definitely own it.  Love the idea of a Nord piano module.  I don't love the Nord EPs, but I know if they made such a module it would be knobby enough for live use.

Alas, I think the days of the piano module are gone forever, over a long time ago.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

9 hours ago, ShadowMan said:

My Ipad has definitely glitched up and hung notes on occasion. My Micro Piano never did!

I can’t even begin to count the number of gigs and sessions I did back in the day with a 2RU SKB case with a MicroPiano and Voce V3 stuffed in it.  

I had a similar rig in college, with a MicroPiano and a Micro B controlled from a Studio 90 Plus.  That combo got me through a lot of jam band gigs and def never had any hanging notes.  I wouldn't want to use ANY of those sounds on a gig today, but it was good enough back then.

44 minutes ago, Adan said:

I'm fine with software in the studio if latency can be sufficiently minimized.  Plugging in a laptop or phone for a live performance always feels like its draining a bit of mojo out of me.  I recognize that problem is in my head, not the real world, but that doesn't make it less real to me.  Maybe there's some sort of therapy I can do for that, which would likely involve beautiful women, Tennessee whiskey, and usb converters (and also, unfortunately, a likely divorce).

If someone made a good piano in a box, I would definitely own it.  Love the idea of a Nord piano module.  I don't love the Nord EPs, but I know if they made such a module it would be knobby enough for live use.

Alas, I think the days of the piano module are gone forever, over a long time ago.

Were Nord to do a keyless module at least you could pick and choose which sounds to load on off it until you found a set you’re happy enough with. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

44 minutes ago, Adan said:

I'm fine with software in the studio if latency can be sufficiently minimized.  Plugging in a laptop or phone for a live performance always feels like its draining a bit of mojo out of me.  

I know what you mean. Whilst the virtual libraries often sound as good or better in a studio setting, that finger to ear connection just isn't there for me. 

Whilst I have gigged with my Surface Pro (and may do again) , using Omnisphere, Keyscape and Zenology, I much prefer a decent keyboard with built in sounds for live use. Controllers just don't cut it. 

6 hours ago, sleepwalk said:

Are there good Rhodes sounds or B3 sounds for iPhone? 

For B3, there's B-3X and VB-3m. For Rhodes, Neo-Soul is popular, but I prefer Korg Module (maybe with its Scarbee add-on). Neo-Soul is infinitely more tweakable, but I'm impatient, and for me, Korg sounds better out of the box.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Second the iPad. A recent iPad will have more processing power than something like a Kronos and probably more memory as well. Its easy to think of apps as a gimmick, but when you open up any board and see what is inside, the magic is lost and you see its just some wires and circuits, sensors and switches. The heart of an iPad is far better than anything in most boards in terms of processing and flexibility and there are no boards that allow you to drop in alternative engines from Moog, Yamaha, Roland and more....

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

2 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

There was this... but not known for its acoustic pianos

Right, the Electro 2 Rack... and the organs and EPs even today are highly usable. But also, I think unbeknownst to many, they subsequently made some updated acoustic pianos for it,  including "lighter" versions of the same Steinway D and Yamaha C7 that were later released for the Stage and Electro 3, which are still part of the primary piano library today. (In case there are any E2 folks reading this, those downloads are at https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-electro-2/grand-pianos )

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

28 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

There was this... but not known for its acoustic pianos

clavia-nord-electro-rack-2-5148940.thumb.jpg.91151ba2611da9ec2c513cbd58c06dc5.jpg

I have one of those, not working (think it's a power supply issue, I hope to resuscitate soon). They have been going for $800-1000 on Ebay. Like KC member Kanker, I am a fan of the way the mono Steinway sample responds and plays (I remember him being ragged for liking it). EQ'ing helps with the midrange "banjo" factor but it's still noticeable. Per the advice of another forum member, it worked well for layering with other pianos to help them cut through the mix. 

I still would like to see a hardware piano module. I used the Micropiano for a long time, it worked great but I always wanted a better low register.

I used to have the EMU B3 module. EMU came out with a piano ROM for the Proteus 2000 series, online samples sounded great, but I don't think many bought it as it was was pricey.

8 hours ago, sleepwalk said:

I am intrigued by the idea of using an iphone. I wonder how reliable that is. My phone is an Android, but I have an old Iphone 7 I don't use that my mom gave me when she got a new one. Apparently the Ravenscroft app would work with that. Are there good Rhodes sounds or B3 sounds for iPhone? Wonder how that works...

It works great - for me anyway - and there are quite a few threads here that get into the details of how we're doing it. I'm replacing my MacBook Pro setup on my touring gig with my old iPhone SE (2016).

"Reliability" imo is a function of the software you choose to run. Major companies like Native Instruments or Apple have teams of people that design and code their plugins - an iOS app might be programmed by a kid in his mom's basement. As an example, I use an app called Midiflow which had a reproducible bug that caused crashing on my setup - and the dev is unreachable and I see nothing posted from him anywhere online the last few years! Maybe he become a monk (or something bad happened to him - I hope not). However once I found a work-around, Midiflow and the rest of my iOS setup has performed without any glitches at all.

Unfortunately for you, your iPhone 7 is the first iPhone without a headphone jack - so you'll need a 3rd-party dongle or hub to make this work since Apple doesn't make one with both USB connectivity and a 3.5mm audio output. Having stuff dangling off the phone is slightly annoying and a little worrying in terms of having a super-reliable setup, but for the amount of time I've been doing it, it seems like things are working ok. I'm going to carry an extra iPhone with me (my daughter's old 6S, which has the same guts as my 2016 SE, as well as a headphone jack).

I use the Scarbee Rhodes on my iPhone, which is an IAP inside the Korg Module app. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can still get a free version of Module that contains a few basic sounds, then buy the add-ons. Also, Korg lets you demo these add-ons for a week which is great. I passed on the Ivory acoustic piano but the Scarbee Rhodes is pretty good imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

A recent iPad will have more processing power than something like a Kronos and probably more memory as well.

I second this. I probably mentioned this in a few threads here, but I was pleasantly surprised that my iPad 9G, the lowest-end (and cheapest) iPad still for sale at this time, is positively loafing along CPU-wise with my AUM setup. I have three instances of Korg Module (Scarbee Rhodes, strings & clav), the Galileo organ, KQ Dixie (DX7-like app), Synthmaster One wavetable synth, plus AudioLayer playing my custom 9-layer acoustic piano - as well as a bunch of EQs, a chorus and a global reverb plugin. The CPU meter in AUM is usually between 15% and 25%. As a test I turned on every plugin and with them layered did a run with the sustain pedal held, and got the CPU to 50% - of course, the # of times I'll do this on an actual gig are zero. All this at a 128 buffer which feels fine to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I second this. I probably mentioned this in a few threads here, but I was pleasantly surprised that my iPad 9G, the lowest-end (and cheapest) iPad still for sale at this time, is positively loafing along CPU-wise with my AUM setup. I have three instances of Korg Module (Scarbee Rhodes, strings & clav), the Galileo organ, KQ Dixie (DX7-like app), Synthmaster One wavetable synth, plus AudioLayer playing my custom 9-layer acoustic piano - as well as a bunch of EQs and a global reverb plugin. The CPU meter in AUM is usually between 15% and 25%. As a test I turned on every plugin and with them layered did a run with the sustain pedal held, and got the CPU to 50% - of course, the # of times I'll do this on an actual gig are zero. All this at a 128 buffer which feels fine to me.

The thing about iPads is few apps ever really push their processing limits until they are a few generations old. A 9G or an iPad Pro (I have both) will perform admirably for years. Previously I had a well used 5th gen which also worked just fine. I’m big on a ‘modular’ approach to a rig which is why I originally bought an A800 pro and a YC61. Both integrate so well with the iPad and it’s a cheap way of expanding  your palette of sounds without buying another board.

This photo is actually a ‘spare’ rig where the A800 can be a second board for organ or piano on the VR and drive the iPad at the same time with audio going back into the VR. On the YC, it’s even easier. Can also have sheet music and set lists on the iPad then sit on the couch with it for the net, movies and games. Try doing that with even the best workstations. Not many boards with a 10” touch screen either 😉

20230319_171244_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

My favorite item of all time was my Korg SG Rack hands down that I connected to my Fatar Studio 900. Also had the micropiano and P50m

Although the OP would understandably like to avoid a computer- as someone else mentioned- how would a Ipad be perhaps loaded with mainstage and if possible- can ivory's pianos be kept on a IPAD?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LarsHarner2 said:

how would a Ipad be perhaps loaded with mainstage and if possible- can ivory's pianos be kept on a IPAD?  

No Mainstage for iPad, that's Mac-only. Mainstage-"like" apps for i-devices would be AUM or Camelot. Maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.

There is an Ivory piano IAP for the Korg Module app but I'm betting it's not identical to the Mac/Win version in terms of # of samples. Korg lets you demo it for (iirc) a week. I tried it and passed. Not that it's bad, but I'm used to my Native Instruments piano and was able to get a version of it onto my i-devices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

This photo is actually a ‘spare’ rig where the A800 can be a second board for organ or piano on the VR and drive the iPad at the same time with audio going back into the VR. On the YC, it’s even easier.

That's a great stand you made for the iPad! Mine is a little wobbly since the A800 is on a single X-stand and that's gonna vibrate as I play - the clip stand amplifies that vibration a little. That's just how it is when you want to get the schlep & weight down, I think. It's not bad enough to bother me.

Unlike you, the A800 is my main rig. Actually it's my only rig! Audio goes direct from headphone out to my PPAs. This is the lightest, smallest, and easiest-to-transport setup I've had my entire working life. It's not quite at the level of what I get from my MacBook Pro's Bidule rig with AUs and VSTs - probably 80% of the way in terms of sound quality. If that bothered me I would continue to bring the laptop but it's been a good experience so far - and the older I get the more I hate "schleprosy"!

Also, with the laptop I often needed to bring a music stand and light to gigs, then deal with paper. Being able to have my charts in front of me on the same device hosting my sounds is a nice bonus. I know I sound like an ad for this kind of setup. It's not for everyone but I'm quite a happy camper these days.

i-devicerigs.thumb.jpg.0283de594b267208ad3ff607013bca65.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

No Mainstage for iPad, that's Mac-only. Mainstage-"like" apps for i-devices would be AUM or Camelot. Maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.

There is an Ivory piano IAP for the Korg Module app but I'm betting it's not identical to the Mac/Win version in terms of # of samples. Korg lets you demo it for (iirc) a week. I tried it and passed. Not that it's bad, but I'm used to my Native Instruments piano and was able to get a version of it onto my i-devices.

Hello Reezekeys- thanks. I was considering getting a Ipad (not necessarily for music) but might wait until next year when they might be moving to OLED screens.

I've said a few times on this forum that I think the smartest thing Kurzweil could ever do would be their version of an EMU Proteus: single-space rack unit crammed full of a thousand legacy Kurzweil sounds, and a selection of their latest pianos, EPs, classic, and organs. No extensive VAST editing or MIDI capabilities, just the sounds. Make it $1,000 and they would fly off the shelves, bringing in much-needed revenue. I'm sure Roland sold quite a few of their Greatest Hits Integra-7.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm using Cubasis on stage, and it's pretty capable for a lot of scenarios. I like that it's available for my iPad Pro at home and then transfer work to my cheaper Android tablet for stage. After a year and a half of using the iPad on stage I got tired of having to constantly move it back and forth from the vehicle. The Android version is just as capable. But then again, I'm not totally relying on it for all my sounds, so I'm not taxing it very much. Mostly MIDI sequences, a few sounds, a little audio.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

V3 Piano Module Link: The V3's Ac' piano sound I found to be playable and feels good on a number of my controllers on a number of the AC Piano patches, I like it's Wurly also that sits nice in the mix and hands and the vibrato is good on it... I don't like it's overall AC piano tone all the time, like there is not enough 'beating' going on with the piano strings sort of thing, a bit dead.. I don't own the editor, wouldn't work with the gear I own.... but still, I've have had some luck it recording wise and it's Ac. pianos, probably a keeper for now.... the low end on it is very dramatic sounding and deep, one Bosendorfer grand sample and a Hamburg Steinway, I think I like the Bose better...actually have to roll off some bass on those .. I was surprised how playable the pianos are in certain regards. Fluid is a better word.  I don't like it for blues or rock recording at home I found even the Rock piano patch which I thought was to shrill, at least for my playing but jazz and casual music I thought it was good on the Bose and Hamburg ...a solid 'good' I would say to 'very good. Not great or killer ...also the sample gets a bit sketchy ... it's a $400 module.  EQ it up live, works .. even for blues or rock I guess with Bose or Hamburg but wouldn't be my go to sound for those musics, I like a bit more 'beating' going on in the sample for rock or blues! Jazz standards and bebop and improvising or traditional and solo or acoustic playing... with a less heavy beat or no drums I think it works. ...  To be honest I haven't tried it out for rock or blues live, so...!    

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I have a Dexibell SX7 sound module. IMO the APs play and sound great! I’ve yet to tweak the EPs to my liking but still have some suggestions from this forumthat I need to try. Not sure how it will end up.

I played a few gigs with my iPad and had good experiences. B3-X is a wonderful B3 plugin. Korg Module Scarbee EP is very good. I used PurePiano and it was good enough but not great. I couldn’t get along with NeoSoul’s EPs. If I had a better AP I’d be more enthusiastic about my iPad rig. Other APs I have are Ravenscroft and Korg Module Ivory. I hope that an iOS version of Pianoteq is released soon and that I like it.

Now that I have a YC73 I’m less motivated to work on my iPad rig for gigs; the YC73 covers my needs and is portable enough. But I’ll keep working on the iPad for fun (I’m a geek) and couch playing with the Korg MircoKey Air 61. I have no doubt that the future is bright for iPad and iPhone rigs.