Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artists' songs: "love it, like it, hate it" song list

bill5

I've seen this done elsewhere don't know if it has any appeal here, but FWIW...the idea is name an artist and list one song you love by them, one you simply like, and one you hate (obviously if you love or hate everything by an artist it's N/A for the thread :) ). Sometimes some interesting viewpoints and/or discussion can come about from it, BUT it requires that people not get in a snit if someone says they hate a song that you love. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and after all it's only that. And of course there are numerous reasons to love/like/hate a song. I'll lead off:  

Eagles

Love it: Victim of Love 

Like it: Best of My Love

Hate it: The Long Run

• Like 2

Billy Joel

Love it: Scenes From An Italian Restaurant 

Like it: New York State Of Mind

Hate it: River Of Dreams 

• Like 3

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

51 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Steely Dan

Love It: Dirty Work

Like it: My Old School

Hate It: Pretty much every thing else they ever did ;)

I could flip hate & love.😁

Springsteen

Love it: Jungleland

Like it: Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out*

Hate It: Dancing In The Dark

* actually between love & like

• Like 2

15 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Hate it: Sad Songs (Say So Much)

@o0Ampy0o  I hate the studio version - this is how it should sound:

Clapton and Knopfler on geetars, organ (Greg Phillinganes?) loud in the mix, alongside Elton's superb playing on the RD1000. Steve Ferrone, Nathan East, Ray Cooper, Katie Kissoon and Tessa Niles... A real horn section would have been the cherry on the cake!

[Sidenote: Elton's playing on this very performance had a huge influence on my teenage-musician self]

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, justin_havu said:

Billy Joel

Love it: Scenes From An Italian Restaurant 

Like it: New York State Of Mind

Hate it: River Of Dreams 

I don't like much of Billy Joel's song-writing.  River of Dreams is one of the few I enjoy listening to.  Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

• Confused 1

Nat King Cole

Love it: Nature Boy

Like it: Unforgettable 

Hate it: Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer ( pretzels and beer) 

Nat King Cole was such a great musical artist both vocally and instrumentally. I always wondered why he recorded that horrible song? Despite, that this song is awful, his vocals are as beautiful and smooth as silk like always. Sorry for the crude analogy , but you can never make sh*t smell good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

This topic could be as contentious as religion or politics.

Hence the up-front Snowflake caveat :)  

Billy Joel:

Love it: Scenes from etc also came to mind, but since it was already mentioned, I'll go with Zanzibar

Like it: Get it right the first time

Hate it: We Didn't Start the Fire (as I recall even he has said in hindsight he doesn't care for it)

Doobies:

Love it: Nobody

Like it: Dependin on You

Hate it: One Step Closer

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Michael Macdonald

Love: everything solo

Like: everything he did as a guest of other musicians

Hate: everything as a Doobie Brother

Interesting - I found McDonald-era Doobies very representative of McDonald solo. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

53 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Interesting - I found McDonald-era Doobies very representative of McDonald solo. 

Cheers, Mike.

It is the bad fit that gives me a stomach ache. His voice and music were a major mismatch with The Doobie Brothers. He has contributed vocals on many other artist's material but the band he joined was the worst foundation for his assets. They of course welcomed the difference but I am always reminded of that instead of hearing his DB material as his and not the band's. Sometimes he sang China Grove in their live shows and it was just horrible. He is one of the greatest backing vocalists in the business but it was so far off for the Doobie's sound. Their music had been heavily enhanced by a distinct choral harmony supplied by Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons, two guys so compatible and complimentary one could sing the other's leads and get away with it. 

• Like 1

At the risk of getting thread police-y and sorry if so, can I ask we limit the lists to single songs vs the everything-they-did kinda stuff? As the point is to list/comment on individual songs, not artists or swaths of artists' work in general. 

Sincerely,

Warden Norton

• Love 1

Interesting choices with Billy Joel. I could easily think of 3 unmentioned songs for a list:

Love it: Summer, Highland Falls

Like it: All For Leyna (maybe not well known?)

Hate it: Uptown Girl

The guitar on the verses sounds like “Roxanne”:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mark Zeger said:

Interesting choices with Billy Joel. I could easily think of 3 unmentioned songs for a list:

Absolutely! No need to list the obvious hits. In fact that's part of what I liked about this when I did it before, I'd see a song and go "?" and check it out and sometimes find a hidden gem

• Like 2

I could've picked All For Leyna for the "Love" option, but it completely slipped my mind.  So many great deep tracks in his catalog.

Elton John

Love it: We All Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains (One of those situations where you can't have one without the other.)

Like it: Madman Across The Water

Hate it: This may be a controversial choice, but I gotta go with Rocket Man.  I've had to play it as a solo spot in way too many bars that when I left that band, I vowed I would never need to hear it again.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

Frank Sinatra

Love it: How Little We Know

Like it: The Tender Trap

Hate it: My Funny Valentine

Neil Diamond

Love it: Cracklin' Rosie

Like it: Solitary Man

Hate it: Coming to America

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

Michael Macdonald

Love: everything solo

Like: everything he did as a guest of other musicians

Hate: everything as a Doobie Brother

Huh. My two favorites are both Doobie era: It Keeps You Running and Taking It To The Streets.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Dire straits - 

Love: Telegraph Road

Like: Calling Elvis

Hate: Twisting by the Pool

Elton John - 

Love: Border Song

Like: Ballad of a well-known gun

Hate: Crocodile Rock

Van Morrison -

Love: A Town Called Paradise

Like: Till We get the Healing Done

Hate: Brown eyed girl

Sting - 

Love: The Wild Wild Sea

Like: Consider Me Gone

Hate: Fill Her Up

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

7 hours ago, niacin said:

Van Morrison -

Love: A Town Called Paradise

Like: Till We get the Healing Done

Hate: Brown eyed girl

Piggybacking on that:

Van Morrison:

Love: Into the Mystique

Like: Brown-Eyed Girl

Hate: Gloria

The Police:
Love: MIss Gredenko 

Like: Roxanne (although I loved his solo live version at the Secret Policemen's Ball)

Hate: Doo doo doo doo

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bill5 said:

Absolutely! No need to list the obvious hits. In fact that's part of what I liked about this when I did it before, I'd see a song and go "?" and check it out and sometimes find a hidden gem

OK now you are getting too “police-y” ignoring hits. Maybe use a different title and describe it differently next time. The way this was going as well as the way you wanted it can both be fun when you make the rules clear in the beginning. Like “rate less known deep dives” or something. I could say at this point I hate everyone’s hit due to having heard them so many times but it doesn’t mean I didn’t ever like them. And of course becoming a hit doesn’t mean it was ever a good song. 🙂