Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatever happened to Ultimate Apex stands?

When I first left the music circuit around the late 1990’s, the Apex stand was the bees knees. Everyone wanted them and I remember selling my original Apex for not much less than I bought it for. Somewhere down the line I picked up a cheap copy where the arms were fixed and that worked fine for a lot less (but I ended up selling it on). Now I’m thinking of a simple lightweight two tier stand (X Frame with extensions I have is really quite heavy and cumbersome), and I spotted a used Ultimate AX48 Pro with the microphone boom arm on sale locally, managed to haggle the guy down to £90. Aside from a few tears in the rubber pads, it looks perfect.

However, looking around there seems to be no stock of these anywhere, can’t get spares parts in needed or the tote bag. Looking at lists of top keyboard stands, the AX is rarely listed, if at all.

These things were once considered the best you could get, I know Ultimate are still in business, but are their stands just not up there anymore or have they priced themselves out of the market? Are they prone to breaking?

Wanting to put a Korg Grandstage 73 and a Yamaha YC61 on this and it looks like it will be stable. Also have spotted the K&M table holder cheap which looks like it will fit instead of the mic boom.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I should add that I cannot find a black one anywhere in the UK, with some dealers listed as discontinued. 
Except for this optimist…

F68DA156-B5F4-49AB-B2F3-ECDA831C0053.jpeg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

To me the Spider Pro takes the idea and improves it a lot--mainly by having an open space right in front and under for pedals.

That said, I have found I don't like the "it's blocking me" aspect of column stands, and don't really like having the column coming down toward me.  I started using the Omega Pro and love the completely open area underneath :)  

I'm also a bit biased because I owned a Deltex why back when--granted, this was the el cheapo version of their stand--that was the most unstable stand I've ever used.  It could tip way too easily.

• Like 2

Yeah the Deltex was crap.

I still have and use, on occasion, the original APEX stand I bought new in 1987.   Rock solid 37 years now.

I also have the new version APEX 40 because I like the rounded back and the newer style superclamps.   Also rock solid.

My favorite Ultimate stand is the missile launcher style APEX AX-90.  Bought new when they first hit the market. Also rock solid

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

29 minutes ago, Stokely said:

To me the Spider Pro takes the idea and improves it a lot--mainly by having an open space right in front and under for pedals.

That said, I have found I don't like the "it's blocking me" aspect of column stands, and don't really like having the column coming down toward me.  I started using the Omega Pro and love the completely open area underneath :)  

I'm also a bit biased because I owned a Deltex why back when--granted, this was the el cheapo version of their stand--that was the most unstable stand I've ever used.  It could tip way too easily.

I had the K&M Omega with a Yamaha CP4 on it. Brilliant stand, but was happy to leave that one in the studio. Need something easy to store (small) lightweight if possible and easy to set up. The AX weighs about the same as the X Frame with extensions.

15 minutes ago, EscapeRocks said:

Yeah the Deltex was crap.

I still have and use, on occasion, the original APEX stand I bought new in 1987.   Rock solid 37 years now.

I also have the new version APEX 40 because I like the rounded back and the newer style superclamps.   Also rock solid.

My favorite Ultimate stand is the missile launcher style APEX AX-90.  Bought new when they first hit the market. Also rock solid

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks great, is the AX48 not such a great stand then? No idea why no one has it or what has replaced it if it is discontinued. its still on the Ultimate site.

19 minutes ago, Stokely said:

If you mean the original Omega, yeah I wouldn't want to gig with that.  The Pro folds up pretty nicely, though with the 2nd tier on it it's a bit of a pain to put in my car.

Yeah sorry, mine was the fixed one. Still think its a bit bigger than I want just for a quick set up. I an still checking out my options for gigging (might not happen) but I would like something that is easier to store and rehearse with. Also thinking I could probably pass on the AX48 without losing much....as long as there is still a market for people buying them...

I have two Ultimate Apex stands that served me well throughout the years. 

A few things I recall…

when using a substantial 88 key weighted action on the bottom I needed to get the larger mount with the longer arms for my bottom board. 

having the legs that come out left and right (parallel to the keyboards) sometimes didn’t allow me to put pedals exactly where I wanted to. 

the carrying handle  typically can’t be placed where it needs to be a balanced carry (due to where I liked to lock and leave my keyboard mounts. 

The spider design addresses all these things and offers tilt. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I have two Ultimate Apex stands that served me well throughout the years. 

A few things I recall…

when using a substantial 88 key weighted action on the bottom I needed to get the larger mount with the longer arms for my bottom board. 

having the legs that come out left and right (parallel to the keyboards) sometimes didn’t allow me to put pedals exactly where I wanted to. 

the carrying handle  typically can’t be placed where it needs to be a balanced carry (due to where I liked to lock and leave my keyboard mounts. 

The spider design addresses all these things and offers tilt. 

The AX48 has larger tribars on the bottom (18") compared to the top which I believe are 13".

I have the Apex but I only ever use it at Disney. It’s solid enough, but it compromises pedal position and it’s not quite tall enough for me (5’11”). More importantly, I never figured out how to transport it on my RnR cart with my other stuff.

Keyboard stands are like mouse traps. The first person to invent something that is truly better than the x-stand will make a fortune.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Looks great, is the AX48 not such a great stand then? No idea why no one has it or what has replaced it if it is discontinued. its still on the Ultimate site.

I meant AX48 when I said APEX 40.  LOL I'm old and names escape me.

The AX48 is solid.  In fact I used it on two gigs this past weekend, holding my Roland RD88 and Arturia Keylab 61

David

35 minutes ago, zephonic said:

I have the Apex but I only ever use it at Disney. It’s solid enough, but it compromises pedal position and it’s not quite tall enough for me (5’11”). More importantly, I never figured out how to transport it on my RnR cart with my other stuff.

Keyboard stands are like mouse traps. The first person to invent something that is truly better than the x-stand will make a fortune.

I must admit my original style Apex is much easier on a RnR cart since it has 3 flat sides, and not the rounded back of the newer Apex AX48

• Like 1

David

I have an original. Where do I begin? What a beast, it weighs a ton and the clips holding the legs in the body of mine don't work anymore, so you pick the thing up and the legs slide out, making transporting it a drag. Depending on where the blocks holding the arms are positioned, you may not be able to have the handle at the center of gravity - making the stand tip as you pick it up (discharging the legs as I noted before) and combined with it's overall weight just a miserable experience to move (I never had a bag, did they make one for this model? If so, I imagine it would have to be very heavy-duty). Once on a stage with a keyboard on it, especially a heavy 88, it's an absolute bear to move. The issue with the legs messing with pedal positioning have already been mentioned. 99% of the time on the road I get this stand from backline, since despite its faults it's pretty much indestructible. One thing I do see "destructed" with the rentals is the small adjustable plastic piece at the bottom, meant to stabilize it – either the screw holding it is missing, or the whole piece is gone - so more than the music will "rock", lol. And, those clips for routing cables down the stand? I never use them because when a quick set change is needed and I have to get my stuff off a (usually) dark stage in a hurry, working my cables out from them is a PITA; I just gaff them. What else? Oh yea, the hinged plastic cover for the compartment holding the arms is often either missing or doesn't stay snapped down.

You really want one of these things?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

You really want one of these things?!

After that glowing review I’m not sure I even want to gig anymore…lol

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

What a beast, it weighs a ton and the clips holding the legs in the body of mine don't work anymore, so you pick the thing up and the legs slide out, making transporting it a drag. Depending on where the blocks holding the arm are positioned, you may not be able to position the handle at the center of gravity - making the stand tip as you pick it up (discharging the legs as I noted before) and combined with it's overall weight just a miserable experience to move (I never had a bag, did they make one for this model?

35 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

One thing I do see "destructed" with the rentals is the small adjustable plastic piece at the bottom, meant to stabilize it – either the screw holding it is missing, or the whole piece is gone - so more than the music will "rock", lol. And, those clips for routing cables down the stand? I never use them because when a quick set change is needed and I have to get my stuff off a (usually) dark stage in a hurry, working my cables out from them is a PITA; I just gaff them. What else? Oh yea, the hinged plastic cover for the compartment holding the arms is often either missing or doesn't stay snapped down.

All of this on mine, too. 

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Their customer support in the USA used to be really good. Now it just goes to voicemail. I had a bag zipper break four months after purchase. They sent me a couple of different replies then completely blew me off and never took care of me. Nice going. They are horrible. I hope the new owners step it up. I still have to reach back out to them on this and give them another chance before I go on line and start making posts about it on amazon, yelp and Better Business. Some of the worst service I have had lately. Nice plan- tell me you are going to replace then never do anything about it then switch messages on the next emails and then blow it off. Terrific work. And yes, I provided in warranty proof of purchase and it was bought new authorized dealer.

• Like 1

It’s nice to hear the Deltex mentioned here because I recently cannibalized a broken one, cutting it down to around 32 inches in height to accommodate an “ultralight” micro keyboard rig. Turns out that the Deltex isn’t that much lighter but the super-cheap model airplane PLASTIC main bracket/clamp down at the bottom is prone to breakage(Duh.)

I had an Apex given to me many years ago and for my purposes it has always been bulletproof.

• Like 1

I sold mine a few years ago, mostly because my remaining keyboards are too deep or have all their critical connections at the center. 🙂

I don't think I'm the only one who loved the concept but just didn't find that they mated well with certain keyboards.

K&M came out with the Spider (or was that Ultimate as well?). Several high-end versions from Ultimate, K&M, and others.

I don't really see them at gigs anymore. I still prefer them to multi-tier X-brace stands, but I only do single-tier anymore.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I haven't used it since 2008 and gave it away a few years ago. It gave me PTSD just to look at, it in corner of my cellar and reminded me of the many GB gigs I did with it.  It was a nice stand for its day. It had a small footprint so I fit on even small stages, when there was one. Outside on grass or any type of incline was not an easy set up.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Reading these comments, I think I will give the AX48 a miss.

So, a bit off topic, but what are the recommendations for an easy to use, carry and store two tier stand? I came across the Stay tower and Piano stands which Korg seem to favour (and sell on their site).

I love their lightweight slim, but their specs limit 10kg a tier and my Korg GS is more than that. Wonder if they are just conservative numbers….

Although I sold it, I found Standtastik to be a bit better than most in terms of weight support, being sturdy, and not too difficult to set up and break down while still recapturing the ideal positioning for the second tier. Not sure if they're still available.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have a pair of Apex Ultimate Stands, one with triangular profile and one with the rounded column. The criticisms others have mentioned are valid concerns. I am 6"2' and do all my playing while standing, often while singing backup vocals and switching between sax and keys mid-song. So I like this stand's ability to allow me to put two keyboards at high height with good keyboard stability, including plunking near the top or bottom of a board. My 73-key top board is all the way at the top, and my 76-key board very close underneath it. Yes, it's pedal-unfriendly but my son and I have adapted to it by mounting the 3 pedals (2 small sustains plus a control for the Nord) on a piece of aluminum so the larger control pedal nestles just to the left of the column. If we were doing serious keys playing this might bother us, but it's more of an instrument juggling act between our horns, keys, and backup vocals in our covers band.

• Like 1

FYI:

You can buy the tri-bars separately if you desire.  You can buy extra 13" or 18"  I have 6 of the 13 and 4 of the 18, as well as some extras superclamps.

Also FYI, the superclamps on the AX48 version fit the original Apex

David

I was never successful in finding the longer arms in stock everywhere. I eventually found the gig bag, which was great, and especially helpful was the attachment arm for a mic, as I sang while I played. One less thing to slow down setup, get in the way, or get tripped on by a drunk customer (followed by beer spilled on the keyboard, or worse!).

• Like 1

Sweetwater still carries it. For $300.00!!!

RE : Gig  bags  I've used larger speaker/light pole  bags to carry my Apex.  Much sturdier than the original nylon bag, and easy to find. 

Sad the company went downhill, I had a ton of their stuff.   When I was putting together a seated rig couple years ago, I got their V stand.  It was a wobbly PITA disaster, with unmarked floppy 2nd tier.   I was actually relieved when it got stolen from all places, a Church gig.     Wouldn't buy anything from them again.  Though I do miss the old triple tube stands.    Still have two memory X stands, but would never gig with them, as mine have amnesia. 

Ditto on all  Apex issues and missing broken parts.   Did anyone mention the metal thing that holds the legs in becoming bent and razor sharp??    Then the legs falling out trying to carry it..(because the carry handle had long broken off....  Come to think of it, when the cable holder things snapped, they'd also become sharp. 

Because of you guys I'm totally sold on the K&M 188880 for either seated, or rare times standing.  That thing  not as cool looking, but pretty darn great.  I got mine from Thommans- and Paul W if you're in the UK you could easily grab one from them, Andertons or Bonners. 

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

The 18880 and extension weighs just 4.2 kg which is nice. For double the weight, there is also the 18826 which seems a ‘neater’ solution if heavier. Also goes a fair bit higher too and a little quicker to set up without that back bar.

54F331A4-5963-4302-A295-E19019309A93.jpeg

27BA3351-6B09-47C8-A9FA-B0DBA5AE23B9.jpeg

Another option for me is to take the Stagg keyboard table from my office/studio which the Korg Grandstage is sat on and buy the extension arms, then get a cheap replacement for the office where it’s currently hidden under an electric standing desk.

447084F0-56CB-4A56-AB3B-AF665EE7683D.jpeg

• Like 1