Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscars

9 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I like crazy, non-orthodox and even absurdist movies but that’s too much for me. I am a huge Monty Python fan, that’s my type of absurdism ❤️

You may enjoy some of Wes Anderson's films. The style of humour is certainly different to Python (I don't think there's anything directly comparable to Python these days), however I would describe his films as unorthodox, while still being beautifully crafted on an artistic and technical level.

"Isle of Dogs" is excellent.  It's a stop motion animation about a pack of dogs set in a retro-future Japan. I think you might enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

48 minutes ago, Kawai James said:

You may enjoy some of Wes Anderson's films.

I loved the Grand Budapest Hotel so much! Somebody recommended it to me, but I haven't watched his other films, so it's something on my list. I usually binge watch directors. That's what I did with Coen brothers many years ago. BTW, some of their films can go into the absurdist direction, although it's not very obvious visual and factual absurdism, rather subtle psychological one...

Anyway,

48 minutes ago, Kawai James said:

"Isle of Dogs" is excellent.  It's a stop motion animation about a pack of dogs set in a retro-future Japan. I think you might enjoy it.

I actually caught some excerpt of it on the HBO channel one night and was immediately hooked which made me stop it, so that I can watch it from the beginning on the streaming app and I forgot! Thanks for reminding me 🍻

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I loved the Grand Budapest Hotel so much!

Yes, me too!

I also loved "The Royal Tenenbaums", "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" and "Moonrise Kingdom".

48 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I actually caught some excerpt of it on the HBO channel one night and was immediately hooked which made me stop it, so that I can watch it from the beginning on the streaming app and I forgot! Thanks for reminding me 🍻

Great, it sounds like you'd definitely enjoy it!

I also look forward to the day that I can watch this film with my son. He loves dogs at the moment. ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:12 PM, TommyRude said:

they left out Robert Blake too

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/15/2023 at 1:02 PM, 16251 said:

Empathy fail.

image.png.5040343c571c532855d8a9e91339e4a7.png

This says “Oscars” more than why other image that night.  “It’s all about me!”

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I love the variety of perspectives we have here. It’s awesome, like a band with everybody seeing different insights. This is my favorite Oscars story, about old friendships. Ke had stopped acting for awhile. He had been running a stunt business. He had fallen out of touch with his former colleagues…

• Like 1

I watched 'The Banshees of Inisherin' last night. I appreciated the nuanced acting, especially from Colin Farrell. But the extremity of Brendon Gleeson's character just didn't feel right. Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. His actions just seemed way too drastic for the issues he had with Farrell's character. Barry Keoghan was fantastic as the dim-witted Dominic. According to IMDB he spent seven years in foster care, during which he lived in thirteen different foster homes, and then found acting. Ke Huy Quan must be phenomenal in EEAAO to have beaten this performance. I mean, this scene right here is excellent.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/15/2023 at 6:08 PM, Mark Zeger said:

My favorites in no order:

The Royal Tennenbaums

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Rushmore

Moonrise Kingdom

Fantastic Mr. Fox.  George Clooney voiced Mr. Fox.   I'm a big Wes Anderson fan also.

Re Paddington 2:  I  just heard about that the other day while watching Nick Cage in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, which I expected to be stupid, but turned about to be very enjoyable.   Nick and one of the characters discuss P.2 being one of their three favourite films.  Kinda made me want to watch it too.   Then I googled it, and found out it had a 100% critic rating on IMBD for a while.   Now it has a 99% rating.   I'll probably end up watching it.

Okay, Paddington fans... While I doubt Paddington 2 is not fully follow-able on its own, is there some real benefit to seeing the first one first? Or would you say it's just fine (or even preferable) to just watch P2 cold?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 3/21/2023 at 2:17 PM, Floyd Tatum said:

Fantastic Mr. Fox.  George Clooney voiced Mr. Fox.   I'm a big Wes Anderson fan also.

Re Paddington 2:  I  just heard about that the other day while watching Nick Cage in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, which I expected to be stupid, but turned about to be very enjoyable.   Nick and one of the characters discuss P.2 being one of their three favourite films.  Kinda made me want to watch it too.   Then I googled it, and found out it had a 100% critic rating on IMBD for a while.   Now it has a 99% rating.   I'll probably end up watching it.

Weird how I mentioned Wes Anderson and Paddington 2 in the same post.   I just watched P2, and to me, there seems to be a noticeable Wes Anderson influence on this film (which wasn't there in P1).

I tried watching EEAAO, but couldn't get past 10 minutes.   I have to wonder why it won best picture and not best foreign film.

Watched EEAAO...  free Showtime week!

Wow yikes..  as it was going, I was WTF am I watching?  I made it all the way through, glad for that.  Leaving mid-course would leave me very dissatisfied.  Oscars best pic, best everything, was it at that level?  Tough to say, but it certainly was a tour de force.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 3/21/2023 at 2:39 PM, AnotherScott said:

Okay, Paddington fans... While I doubt Paddington 2 is not fully follow-able on its own, is there some real benefit to seeing the first one first? Or would you say it's just fine (or even preferable) to just watch P2 cold?

I would say that watching P1 first is not a prerequisite, but it wouldn't hurt.   It gives you Pad's backstory, and the shenanigans of him adapting to life in (fairy-tale) London.  It's a slapstick, "Mr. Bean"-like comedy, watchable, but just barely, imho.   P2 is quite different.   Much less Mr. Bean stuff, more of an adventure story.

P.S.  I hated Mr. Bean, and never watched more than a couple of minutes of it.  Not my kind of comedy, I prefer the darker stuff.

• Like 1