Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Trivia anyone?

bill5

38 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

1. Did you know ants are mathematical?

According to some studies, ants’ movements can hide mathematical patterns. For example, the random changes in the direction of the ants follow a Lévy distribution, which is also found in other natural phenomena. Ants are also very numerous, with an estimated 20 quadrillion individuals on Earth. That’s 20,000 trillion!

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

https://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

Chickens can change sex over time, randomly, due to their biological makeup. Hens can become "roosters" but they are still technically female and cannot fertilize eggs. Roosters cannot become hens, they remain roosters.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Prevailing local regulations compel me to repost this:

Cheers, Mike.

My ears!! My ears!!

Old No7

Now I've really gone off the deep end...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

This version by Annie Lennox isn't half bad -- but the one above gives me the WILLIES

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

https://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

Chickens can change sex over time, randomly, due to their biological makeup. Hens can become "roosters" but they are still technically female and cannot fertilize eggs. Roosters cannot become hens, they remain roosters.

There is conflicting information on this. What I read is that it is more of a hormonal shift in role behavior and not anatomical. More common going hen to rooster but the other way does happen it is just rare. 

If you have ever witnessed a female dog mounting another female dog hormones explain a lot.

28 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

There is conflicting information on this. What I read is that it is more of a hormonal shift in role behavior and not anatomical. More common going hen to rooster but the other way does happen it is just rare. 

If you have ever witnessed a female dog mounting another female dog hormones explain a lot.

True or false, it's still trivia. 

My uncle was a hog farmer, he had lots of pigs. When the pigs are babies, the other baby pigs will chew the tail and the ears off the runt off the litter, marking it for a lifetime of torment and misery. I've seen those chewed on runts.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Please, only trivia that is actually true :) 

I didn't know pigs were so nasty. Now I feel even less guilty about my ham sandwiches (OK I didn't really feel that guilty before...).

How about some presidential trivia? Which presidents, if any, were born and/or died on the 4th of July? (I wish the site had a "spoiler" tag you could hide answers in)

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

My uncle was a hog farmer, he had lots of pigs. When the pigs are babies, the other baby pigs will chew the tail and the ears off the runt off the litter, marking it for a lifetime of torment and misery. I've seen those chewed on runts.

Me, too. They're the ones who end up playing drums and exploding onstage with Spinal Tap.

That's trivial in the larger scheme o' things, but not to fans who end up with a drumstick embedded in their foreheads. 🔥

• Haha 1

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

21 hours ago, TommyRude said:

According to some studies, ants’ movements can hide mathematical patterns. For example, the random changes in the direction of the ants follow a Lévy distribution, which is also found in other natural phenomena. Ants are also very numerous, with an estimated 20 quadrillion individuals on Earth. That’s 20,000 trillion!

So that means there's 2.5 million ants per person and yet they haven't risen up and killed us. Silly things....

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Merilu Henner has a rare ability to recall every detail of her personal experience on any given day in her life.

Yeah that is wild. I saw her in an interview and they tested her..."OK....May 21st 1973."  "Oh yeah...it rained a lot that day. I was just getting over a cold so I just had soup for dinner. On the local news they were talking about this horrible traffic accident, worst in our area in 20 yrs. Johnny Carson had Burt Reynolds and this comedian called Joe Schlabotnik as his guests" (etc etc) 

But really she could be unable to remember her own name and I'd still give a month's pay for one night. ;)  

2 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Merilu Henner has a rare ability to recall every detail of her personal experience on any given day in her life.

Eidetic memory would make learning lines trivial.  Hmm.  That would be nice for song lyrics as well. 

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I watched The Johnny Carson Show every night. One night Joan Rivers was guest host. Charley Callas was a guest and did a skit on drums with intermixed goofy Callas noises and facial expressions. He was a capable drummer and the bit was funny and perfectly executed.

The first night upon Johnny's return Ed Shaughnessy the regular drummer in The Tonight Show Band did a similar routine including the signature goofy noises and facial expression of Charley Callas. Johnny was shown enjoying it and he acted like he was unaware that Callas had done the same bit while he was off. This stood out and I always wondered what the reasons were for how things transpired.

Years after Johnny had died when Charley Callas died I read about a riff between he and Carson. Callus was a guest with Johnny. During the interview Callas and Johnny were seated in typical fashion. At one point as a gag Callas shoved Johnny in his seat. Johnny almost fell out of his chair and was taken aback by the gesture. Apparently Johnny felt violated and that Callas had overstepped boundaries. Johnny never had him on the show when he was host again and the Ed Shaughnessy bit was intended as a F**k Y#u! to Callas.

I looked for a video of the Callas and Shaughnessy bits. I researched coinciding dates when Rivers hosted and Callas was a guest. I was able to pin the date down but there is no official record of the night Rivers had Callas as a guest and he did the drum bit. No one has uploaded anything online of either that I could find. NBC's official statement on the riff between them is that it didn't exist. I have always remembered the bits and Johnny's behavior. 

On 3/7/2023 at 8:06 PM, bill5 said:

How about some presidential trivia? Which presidents, if any, were born and/or died on the 4th of July? (I wish the site had a "spoiler" tag you could hide answers in)

Answers below in white font to avoid spoilers...highlight with your mouse to read:

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, long-time rivals, not only both died on the 4th of July, but in the same year (same exact day). Calvin Coolidge is the only president born on the 4th of July.

The fastest-growing plant is bamboo, which can grow up to 3' a day.

Something that doesn't surprise me actually because I had it in my backyard in my previous house and omg this stuff is so invasive. Even kudzu looks at this stuff and goes..."damn." 

Here's a trivia I made up years ago:

Name the movie that features three actors who have each played a Bond villain.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 hours ago, Husker said:

Barry Manilow had a short career as a jingle writer.  He actually wrote the "Like A Good Neighbor - State Farm Is There" jingle...

And the "You deserve a break today" McDonald's jingle among others...I recall he when he performed he would sometimes to a medley of the better-known ones just to joke around.

9 hours ago, Husker said:

Ronin.

(Bond fanatic here).

phil-hartman-ed-mc-mahon-snl.gif.0e169635eec1d38274883585bf9744ee.gif

Michael Lonsdale - Moonraker

Sean Bean - GoldenEye

Jonathan Pryce - Tomorrow Never Dies

I am also a Bond fanatic, and the best Bond was Timothy Dalton. Too bad the two movies didn't live up to his potential.

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

The Venus Flytrap plant is native to a small area that overlaps two American states. Few people seem to know that it is even native to North America and I found out because I now live in one of those states.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact