Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

Well played in various bands, but this is a struggle for me.

For musicals etc it is not a problem (behind curtains etc)

How ever in a live setting when sitting as a keyboard player??  We get positive feedback music, bet looking to much at the sheets etc.  I'm guilty in that.

O share with you performance from last sunday

How do you deal with this sort of things?   is there a trick?

A) never sit

B) NEVER SIT

C) lose the tall double-stand so you can visually connect with the audience (go with an L-setup if you can)

D) turn sideways a bit so the audience can see wtf you are doing

E) if not D, get a keytar

F) if not D or E, tilt your stand forward so people can see you play

G) lose yourself in the music and have a great time, and the audience will follow

• Like 2

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

2 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

A) never sit

B) NEVER SIT

C) lose the tall double-stand so you can visually connect with the audience (go with an L-setup if you can)

D) turn sideways a bit so the audience can see wtf you are doing

E) if not D, get a keytar

F) if not D or E, tilt your stand forward so people can see you play

G) lose yourself in the music and have a great time, and the audience will follow

well great tips?  I know?   but I for me at least,  this is short term learn everything,   it is not complicated in music,  so should learn it by head.  (is this an ok English thing to say,   don't know ;)

Anyway yes, I understand. I think if I stand, I could move a little bit more, in rhythm.  hahaha but it feels un natural to me :)

2 hours ago, Dave Keys said:

A Bad back means for the first time I’m going to need to start sitting at gigs. Does stage presence really matter for the Keys player in a wedding function band?

I don't know,  btw this was not for a wedding,   a christian worship idee for Israel.   

Well doesn't me matter if it is christian or whatever other type of performance.

Well in this, while the critique was ok about musically performance.    We'll the say band-member should engage more etc.

Ik understand part of that,  but I have to learn quickly the chords and need a reminder for it to play...

Find it strange to advise not sitting. To play piano, and organ to some extent, properly you need to use both hands and feet and hit an endless array of buttons and dials. Almost impossible to do well standing up, and you look a proper idiot wobbling around, possibly even falling over.

Once had a band ask me if I could stand up to play as it ‘looked better’. Safe to say I walked away, they rang a week later asking if we could compromise (stand up for Jump, sit down for ballads maybe?) but didn’t (and don’t) want to work with a band who value ‘stance’ over playing well.

Pretty sure people want to appreciate your music, not how well you recreate Kraftwerk or (god forbid) Sparks.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, EricBarker said:

A) never sit

B) NEVER SIT

Hard disagree.

I have two options when playing even remotely serious piano parts: I can sit, or I can suck. If a situation comes up where having me stand to boost my stage presence is more valuable than having me not suck, that's a situation I have no interest in.

• Like 12

Learning to play stood up is like any other kind of technique. Practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory needs a lot of retraining if you have only ever played sitting and it will be uncomfortable for a while and feel totally alien. But it can be done. 

I can play equally well (and equally badly) in either position. It took me a couple of years to become comfortable standing but I persevered. 

For proper stage presence, I think most people need to stand. It's a special and rare talent to make sitting down look good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Keys said:

A Bad back means for the first time I’m going to need to start sitting at gigs. Does stage presence really matter for the Keys player in a wedding function band?

If a bad back excuses the use of a Casio, sitting down will be absolutely fine. 

We live in a different time. Back when every venue had an AP or a B3, and electric keyboards were non-existent or new, sitting was a given. But now, when keyboardists are blessed with their own portable instruments that aren’t that much larger than a guitar, we no longer get that pass.

It’s not that much work to learn how to play standing, and it really makes a large impact on presence. And there are positive performance aspects too, you can physically connect with the music better than sitting.

Drummers pretty much have to sit. I think the point is about really being kinetically active in the performance, and no one is going to accuse a drummer of being otherwise! When you have some of the greatest living keyboardists stand like Corey Henry, Jordan Rudess, and Hiromi, then this argument seems a little flimsy.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Real, strong, unfaked Stage Presence doesn’t start with ‘what you do on stage’. It starts with you, the performer, actually relating to your audience. 

As you walk on stage slowly look out at the audience. The whole room. Really see them. As individuals. They have come here partially to see and hear your music . Feel that situation as deeply as you can.

There’s a line in a Yes song: “The strength of the meeting lies with you.”

Now that your mind has acknowledged the physical, psychological and spiritual reality of the individual musicians and audience coming together for this unique moment in time, what is your desire? Why are you here? What do you want to communicate? In a worship setting, perhaps a musical message of love is your goal. So meld in your mind the music, your bandmates, all the audience, and your personal intent. From this perspective Stage Presence will be an organic outcome, not an act.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Sit and wear hats with big peacock feathers like Dr. John.... sitting is the correct natural playing position to play piano correctly as I was taught ... and to never break the elbows..so you can  pull down straight from the shoulder or deliver a more focused delivery and carry the arm weight into the keys ...  just move the top torso left or right to make the extremes of the piano keyboard. The legs and feet to anchor you and to hang slightly on the edge seem of your butt on the bench ...  With Synth and Organ you can break the elbows it you cant delver the right key weight you can adjust the velocity or pressure...organ different but basically a switch (yes there are 9 increments) ... not as much need again to carry a focused arm weight into the key as much... so standing and weirder positions are sort of more OK as I found things for orgn and synth... but there are always exceptions to rules....if your going over like that and the band is working and you feel OK, all good... but depending on what you have going... it could effect your better technique in the long run ....   

• Like 2

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

You either got it or you don't. Standing up, sitting, or wearing a wacky Hawaiian shirt ain't gonna make a single bit of difference.  If you ain't got it, make sure you're in a band with someone who does and make sure you're not the frontperson and you'll be fine.   i.e. Bill Wyman had the stage presence of a damp rag, but he had Jagger up there.

Go watch Little Richard, Esquerita and Jerry Lee Lewis videos. 

This guy is the best front man out there right now, who also happens to be the piano player. Rare in this day and age: 

• Like 2

IMO, KB player stage presence (sit or stand) and KB rig foorprint is predicated on a few factors:

1) style of music 

2) stage location 

3) KB player role

It doesn't matter if a KB player sits or stands when tucked away at the back of the stage behind a KB rig under the exit sign.🤣

As bandleader/front-person, the KB player should be positioned so the audience can see them work. Herbie Hancock sits and stands.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

People tell me I have good stage presence.  Well, maybe for a keyboard nerd :)

I sit, never stand.  I can't dance around all night playing pedals on one foot. My rig looks attractive -- well, for keyboards that is!  As I am in charge of lighting, I am always very well lit.  I get some nice photos as a result.

I think its all about engagement with others as you play.  If I analyze what I'm doing, it starts by engaging the other musicians: eyes, head bopping, body swaying -- get everyone into that jammy musical zone.

Once all the musos are engaged, I start projecting towards the audience: lip-syncing the lyrics, waving my arms around as if I'm dancing (and not otherwise playing), a 10,000 watt smile on my face, exuberant expressions, and so on.  I get outrageously happy when it's all going well, and it shows!

I will never be as engaging as a lead singer or lead guitarist, but with a little awareness, I'm a believer that you can give your stage presence a big boost.

• Like 3

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

22 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

You either got it or you don't. Standing up, sitting, or wearing a wacky Hawaiian shirt ain't gonna make a single bit of difference.  If you ain't got it, make sure you're in a band with someone who does and make sure you're not the frontperson and you'll be fine.   i.e. Bill Wyman had the stage presence of a damp rag, but he had Jagger up there.

Go watch Little Richard, Esquerita and Jerry Lee Lewis videos. 

This guy is the best front man out there right now, who also happens to be the piano player. Rare in this day and age: 

haha no way for me this,   but looks great :P

6 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

performance from last sunday

OT - but tell me about this performance @Emiel Minnee:

You mentioned this was

6 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

a christian worship idee for Israel

and there's a Menorah just in front of the stage. Singing in English and Hebrew, captioned in English, phonetic Hebrew and Dutch

What's the story?

Cheers, Mike.

7 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

How ever in a live setting when sitting as a keyboard player??  We get positive feedback music, bet looking to much at the sheets etc.  I'm guilty in that.

Doesn't it depend on the gig? Your video is of a group playing for a church service. You're hired to do a job - it's not a concert where people come specifically to see you. I see music stands for the other musicians, everyone else is looking at the sheets like you are. I see nothing at all wrong with this picture and anyone that singles you out for lacking "stage presence" - for this particular gig at least - is wrong to say that, imo.

I'm doing a little jazz gig in a week. Folks will be coming to see us - it's an actual "show", we aren't background music. It's a one-off with a really good guitarist I'll be meeting for the first time at the gig. There's no rehearsal – he emailed the musicians his charts and we'll be "looking to much at the sheets" for sure - but that's the way it goes. Maybe that's a more acceptable visual with "those jazz guys"! 🙂 These performances are live-streamed, and I've played at this place in the past and seen the videos. Nothing like a single fixed camera showing a bunch of players with their eyes trained on their music stands or iPads for 45 minutes straight!

• Like 3

Not weighing in on the standing vs. sitting issue here per se, but another reason (or requirement in my case) for sitting most of the time: If playing two keyboards simultaneously I often need one foot on the expression pedal for the organ part and one foot on the sustain pedal for the piano part. I'd love to be enough of a master of space/time that I could stand and simultaneously levitate both feet to accomplish those tasks but, alas, fear I am not that "enlightened." 🙂

• Like 1

The one gig I stand on, same deal - it's tough using the expression pedal and sustain at the same time! In my case it's one keyboard where I'm layering a string pad with piano. I mapped a slider on my controller to send CC11 so I can reach up and adjust there, but it's not a perfect solution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ITGITC said:

....wearing shorts (for God's sake), if your cables are neon orange, yellow or red and have the organization of spaghetti thrown up against a wall, or if your rig is 100% Nord

Guilty as charged, officer!  I wear shorts if we'e playing outdoors in Florida heat, I like the techno-cable look, and -- ahem -- all Nord.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"