Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Donald Fagen defends Steely Dan from friends' insults

11 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

I wonder what Fagen thinks about his music being classified as yacht rock. I was with my sister the other day, and she listens to this stuff. Her yacht rock channel consisted of heavy doses of Buffett, McDonald, and Fagen. 

I worked in the record store off and on for many years,  Whenever I didn't have some music gig the owner of the record store gave me some hours to help out.    For me it really hurts in later years hearing young people start called The Beatles   "bubblegum music".   

5 hours ago, Bill H. said:

I wonder what Fagen thinks about his music being classified as yacht rock.

Either he couldn't care less or it makes him want to power puke. I personally go with nausea, along with nauseous that someone invented yet another make-believe non-genre as stupid as "yacht rock." 

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

For me it really hurts in later years hearing young people start called The Beatles   "bubblegum music".   

Fortunately not all younger folks are so clueless. I wouldn't even waste time trying to explain the idiocy in that, or in anything about music frankly. Sure some of their earliest stuff was lightweight, as was most rock then, but even calling that "bubblegum" is bubblestupid.

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

For me it really hurts in later years hearing young people start called The Beatles   "bubblegum music". 

You misspelled 'ignorant people'...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

41 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Shame on you sir. You got me with this click bait. You'd make a good mass media journalist. ;)  I should have known something was up though

You love calling people out for making mistakes but Elmer beat ya to it.

I scrolled down a little too far with my mouse by accident.  The Onion website changes its URL on you when you do that.

23 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

You love calling people out for making mistakes but Elmer beat ya to it.

I scrolled down a little too far with my mouse by accident.  The Onion website changes its URL on you when you do that.

I had no idea what you were talking about until I clicked your link - I didn't initially since I saw someone mention The Onion and knew it was a joke. I assumed you knew the article was a joke too and so my post above was totally joking around as well. I (jokingly) meant shame on you for sucking me in :)  As for "loving calling people out for making mistakes," hardly. But as you appear sensitive about it, np, I won't do so again.  

18 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I had no idea what you were talking about until I clicked your link - I didn't initially since I saw someone mention The Onion and knew it was a joke. I assumed you knew the article was a joke too and so my post above was totally joking around as well. I (jokingly) meant shame on you for sucking me in :)  As for "loving calling people out for making mistakes," hardly. But as you appear sensitive about it, np, I won't do so again.  

You ribbed me and I ribbed you back - it's all good.

24 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Have you been drinking?

Never heard of The Onion?  Don't worry about it

19 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Never heard of The Onion?  Don't worry about it

Of course I've heard of the Onion.  Your link was dead (see below) and people were getting edgy posting 13 year old links and other chafe.

Can you reiterate what your point is?

Onion.png

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

13 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Of course I've heard of the Onion.  Your link was dead (see below) and people were getting edgy posting 13 year old links and other chafe.

Can you reiterate what your point is?

Dude it's The Onion. Silly fun is the point. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I thought the article was funny.  Cleverly captures the idea that in a thousand years people will still be debating whether The Dan was the greatest band ever or "p**** music."

I'm clearly on the pro-Dan side of the debate, though with some historical hindsight I do feel the studio perfectionism aspect of their approach isn't aging all that well.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If not greatest, surely on the short list. I get they're not everyone's cup of tea, no band is, but I wouldn't take seriously anyone about music who dismissed them as "p**** music" or "yacht rock" or other "yeah I just kinda listened to the general sound in the background but didn't really listen to it and haven't got a clue" buffoonery. 

And I can't imagine at the very least how anyone who has ever tried to record/mix/produce music (granted a tiny % of the population) wouldn't be impressed by their skills there, again if if it's not their thing. Personally I never got the "hey let's make it sound like we recorded this in my parents' garage with a tape recorder" thing, but again, to each their own. 

21 hours ago, ITGITC said:

Gotta love The Onion!!

"No one knows better than I do that this stuff can get extremely self-indulgent," Fagen said. "And, yes, I realize that all the preciousness and apparent awe at its own cleverness can be a little too much to stomach sometimes. Hell, some of Gaucho is even too goddamned smooth for me."

"pussy music" :lolol: :rimshot:

ITGITC? :cool:

“ITGITC”????  [Is there gas in the car?]???

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

5 hours ago, Adan said:

I'm clearly on the pro-Dan side of the debate, though with some historical hindsight I do feel the studio perfectionism aspect of their approach isn't aging all that well.

This captures my feeling as well. They had a time and place. They filled that time and place with amazing and unique sounds (for that time and place). In THIS time and place, they sound overly clever and flaccid. Soundmen and old guys love them, for most others they are an old-person oddity at best.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The Onion delivers as usual.🤣

Admittedly, I'm a fan of the music of Steely Dan. Regardless of how it's classified, Donald Fagen and the late Walter Becker (RIP) caught lightning in a bottle back in the 1970s.

When Fagen and Becker decided to play the music of Steely Dan live, the band they assembled kicked azz. Yacht or Dinghy Rock be d8mned.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

This captures my feeling as well. They had a time and place. They filled that time and place with amazing and unique sounds (for that time and place). In THIS time and place, they sound overly clever and flaccid. Soundmen and old guys love them, for most others they are an old-person oddity at best.

hmmm... if this is accurate, they wouldn't be able to tour, correct?  I mean, who would want to spend $$$$ to go see an old-person oddity? Especially when they could go spend their hard earned $$$$ elsewhere, perhaps on a young-person much more relevant artist? Like Snarky Puppy?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 2/11/2023 at 1:49 PM, Bill H. said:

I wonder what Fagen thinks about his music being classified as yacht rock. I was with my sister the other day, and she listens to this stuff. Her yacht rock channel consisted of heavy doses of Buffett, McDonald, and Fagen. 

Just the other my teenage daughter refereed to Steely Dan as “ dad rock”. 
Boy, did I have some stern words for her! 

• Haha 1