Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NO, Misophonia is not a rock opera

* Quick, name the synth this most accurately describes!! Okay, don't.

Misophonia, commonly known as "sound rage," is "a decreased tolerance to certain sounds," according to University of Oxford psychologist Jane Gregory who co-authored a key scientific paper on the subject. And it turns out that 18% of people, in the UK at least, experience some form of it. Maybe it's the sloppy salivary sounds of your partner eating or the annoying whistle of someone's snoring, but it's definitely a thing that can repulse people to the breaking point, even leading people to end relationships out of sheer acoustic agony.

* Punk rock gave me this condition when it first appeared. Some say my voice can cause it as well. When they do, I talk a little longer, to see if they have the spine to take a swing at me. :roll:

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Today, as I walked down a busy street, two fire trucks came by with sirens blaring. The first one was the classic long slow ascent/descent sound. Too loud but otherwise I don't find it bothersome. The second one did that "Wayowayowayowayowayo" high pitched oscillation at a rapid pace thing. I HATE that!!!!!

I'd say the sound of a dog licking it's butt disturbs me but I think it's more that it's licking its butt. Nasty. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Do you know the opposite of being in love?

It is being enraged.

It might surprise you what love can overcome.

You need to cultivate a habit of loving to undo the habit of hating.

Perception is the key.

"...the sound of a dog licking it's butt disturbs me but I think it's more that it's licking its butt...."

Doesn't matter to me whose butt, all butt licking is equally gross to me. Here is something worse: That dog may go on to lick someone's face.

What would it take for you to kiss that face afterwards?

That siren KuruPrionz described: Pedestrians are not the obstacles getting in the way of emergency vehicles. It is all the drivers sealed up and distracted inside vehicles. That siren is designed to cut through the distractions. Pedestrians are collateral damage.

🌹

Serious question: is there a word, not for sound rage, but for sound anxiety? I've posted before that I can get stressed by lots of simultaneous sounds at too-high volumes - guitar amps and drum kits, to take a couple of hypothetical examples. Which is why IEMs are so valuable to me. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Do you know the opposite of being in love?

It is being enraged.

It might surprise you what love can overcome.

You need to cultivate a habit of loving to undo the habit of hating.

Perception is the key.

"...the sound of a dog licking it's butt disturbs me but I think it's more that it's licking its butt...."

Doesn't matter to me whose butt, all butt licking is equally gross to me. Here is something worse: That dog may go on to lick someone's face.

What would it take for you to kiss that face afterwards?

That siren KuruPrionz described: Pedestrians are not the obstacles getting in the way of emergency vehicles. It is all the drivers sealed up and distracted inside vehicles. That siren is designed to cut through the distractions. Pedestrians are collateral damage.

🌹

Yes, I have friends who own dogs and let them lick not just their face but even their mouth. 

I avoid dogs for the most part, I don't want that poop licking tongue anywhere near me!!!

I know why there are sirens, I respect that, it is a necessary evil. It does not change my reaction to the sound in the slightest. 

With regards to audio, I very much dislike too much treble on anything and PA midrange horns that are crossed over too low and have a brutal "honk".

Cat fight sounds can be disturbing as well. So far, none of this has killed me... 😇

• Like 1

What's all this about butt licking?! 🤮😆

I can relate to EscapeRocks and stoken6. Yoko causes me anxiety because her "singing" sounds like someone is abusing a cat. That's not "avant-garde," that's a legal excuse to belt someone with a sandbag.

More on-topic, I'm at a point where I hustle hard to exit stores ASAP. The in-store advertising makes me wanna beat on the offending server with an axe. I've forgotten many items because the ads were an endless sonic attack. "Can I help you find anything?" "Yeah, the Off button for your screeching intercom or the EXIT!!!" Our culture endlessly demands that you accept one strange form of assault after another. Being a musician makes it far harder to filter out an easy-listening version of "Sympathy For the Devil" in an elevator. :taz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSnVplyTOM   

• Like 1

~ "The Lazarus Project"

4 hours ago, David Emm said:

What's all this about butt licking?! 🤮😆

I can relate to EscapeRocks and stoken6. Yoko causes me anxiety because her "singing" sounds like someone is abusing a cat. That's not "avant-garde," that's a legal excuse to belt someone with a sandbag.

More on-topic, I'm at a point where I hustle hard to exit stores ASAP. The in-store advertising makes me wanna beat on the offending server with an axe. I've forgotten many items because the ads were an endless sonic attack. "Can I help you find anything?" "Yeah, the Off button for your screeching intercom or the EXIT!!!" Our culture endlessly demands that you accept one strange form of assault after another. Being a musician makes it far harder to filter out an easy-listening version of "Sympathy For the Devil" in an elevator. :taz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSnVplyTOM   

To be honest, it's only one disgusting aspect of the canine. 

I consider Yoko harmless, changing the music to something else solves the problem immediately. I rarely listen to anything so I might like about 15 seconds of it if it was the best 15 seconds. 

Now I want to record a marshmallow version of Desperadoes Under The Eaves - 

You could be religious nut, a psychopath, for all I care offspring of lucifer, with or without hope, sensibility or rationality, but still I wouldn't just believe the affliction misophonia is a law of nature, of more interest than compulsary laughter, subconscious humming or hatred of some kind uttering itself.

Yes, dogs can be disgusting. So can you! So can I! 😄 I get it. I know cat people who flare up if you say you like dogs, but its not the creature, its the connection. Dogs & cats have no artifice. Dogs learn things about you upon those first few sniffs that you'll never know, so their acceptance has real merit. My sisters are all about cats, one saying "I had kids, so I don't need anything else needy clawing at me all the time!" I get that, too! 

Years ago, in "Heavy Metal" magazine, of all places, Richard Corben presented a wonderful alternate tale of Aladdin. The guy gets arrogant, tells the genie off and gets dropped on a tropical island alone due to his bad manners, far from his hot new bride-to-be. There's a dog there with whom he develops the usual interactive, pack-type relationship. Near the story's end, Aladdin is belly-rubbing him and thinks "I've just begun to learn how to love a simple creature like a dog. What a fool I was to think I was ready to love one as complex as a woman." 

As with both synths and other people, there is a signal path for both ascent and descent, from the simple to the complex. The specific shape and aroma are up to you, as long as you keep at it. As Churchill once said, "If you find yourself going through Hell, keep going!" Even if you are not a "pet person," IMO, all you have to do is approach an animal gently. If they accept you, you're more golden than you may realize.         

~ "The Lazarus Project"

21 hours ago, David Emm said:

... I'm at a point where I hustle hard to exit stores ASAP. The in-store advertising makes me wanna beat on the offending server with an axe. I've forgotten many items because the ads were an endless sonic attack....

I also tune out the visuals. I especially do not read anything designed to be read as you are waiting in line. If the message is not attached directly to the screen at self-checkout it is not within my scope of visibility.

Distorted “music” on hold.

Especially when it’s for a doctor’s office or similar where you are in effect, a captive audience. The worst is when it’s a song like “The Girl From Ipanema”! And then you’re humming it the rest of the day. 

Every once in a while, with calls of this type, you are given a choice of waiting in silence, or listening to music. I always choose silence.

• Like 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Ok, this has gone too far.

A bunch of old white dudes perving on a young Asian pianist is fine. The veneration of music made so long ago that it is farther back in time from us, than the 1800s was from it, is fine. The unironic love of the…and it hurts me to even say this…keytar, is fine.

But let’s make this the last time anyone on this board says anything negative about dogs.

This aggression will not stand. This is the sort of nonsense I will not put up with. At long last, sirs, have you no decency?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

George Carlin once said that when he saw a dog licking his balls, he thought "If I could do that, I'd never leave the house!" PRAISE GEORGE! :2thu:

• Haha 1

~ "The Lazarus Project"

10 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Ok, this has gone too far.

A bunch of old white dudes perving on a young Asian pianist is fine. The veneration of music made so long ago that it is farther back in time from us, than the 1800s was from it, is fine. The unironic love of the…and it hurts me to even say this…keytar, is fine.

But let’s make this the last time anyone on this board says anything negative about dogs.

This aggression will not stand. This is the sort of nonsense I will not put up with. At long last, sirs, have you no decency?

I spoke from experience, I owned dogs. Any observant human will quickly see that a dog's tongue is it's toilet paper. 

But wait, there's more. I kindly left out the story of the time I let the dogs come into the house, briefly. The larger, more aggressive of the two (sisters we raised from puppies) ran straight over to the cat box and gulped down as much cat excrement as she could get into her craw before I dragged them both back outside. 

You can pretend that is all well and good, you can even allow a dog to lick you on the mouth. I'm not here to tell you what to do or not. 

I'm telling a simple, well-known truth from personal experience. We kept those dogs, fed and cared for them. One jumped the fence and ran out in front of a car, gone.

My girlfriend took the other one eventually when we parted. I've never considered owning a dog since then. 😇

18 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Unsubscribe.

Unsubscribe.

Siri, unsubscribe me from the thread of horrors.

Alexa.

Someone.

Call for help.

"Alexa is laughing at your junk." ~ Andy Richter

• Haha 1

~ "The Lazarus Project"

In my long years as a teacher, I have heard many mediocre singers, but a couple of female singers really stick out in memory as a sonic nightmare. I'll spare you the details.

On a more serious note, I have noticed that as I grow older, there are certain frequencies, or frequencies combinations, or equalization or whatever, that hurt my hearing. Some of them are on well-known records, and they never had that effect in the old days, so it must be me. I have also noticed that after the severe covid-19 that I got in October, I have this phenomenon more frequently - and also some other unpleasant little audio nuisances.

Regardless, I find that "Misophonia" would be a great title for an album.  :freak:  :D

23 hours ago, marino said:

Regardless, I find that "Misophonia" would be a great title for an album.  :freak:  :D

I think I'm personally leaning more towards "Misanthrophonia."

We'll use both. I envision a double-LP release. Rated M for Muthaf:curse::cheers:

• Haha 1

~ "The Lazarus Project"

23 hours ago, marino said:

In my long years as a teacher, I have heard many mediocre singers, but a couple of female singers really stick out in memory as a sonic nightmare. I'll spare you the details.

On a more serious note, I have noticed that as I grow older, there are certain frequencies, or frequencies combinations, or equalization or whatever, that hurt my hearing. Some of them are on well-known records, and they never had that effect in the old days, so it must be me. I have also noticed that after the severe covid-19 that I got in October, I have this phenomenon more frequently - and also some other unpleasant little audio nuisances.

Ohhhhh.....

I wonder if my current and brand new experience with tinnitus is COVID - related. I had the weirdest of all long-COVID symptoms for months--something called "olfactory hallucinations." Man, I hope that's what this is...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Well shit.  I was just diagnosed with Covid. 

My PA(1) prescribed a steroid for lungs, an antibiotic, Vitamin C and Zinc supplements.  I assume the antibiotic is to hold down secondary infections while my immune system is weakened by the steroid; I was doubtful about the zinc, but I found a recent NIH study that asserts that the supplements help -- a change from even last year's conventional wisdom.

(1) Physician Assistant -- roughly equivalent to a Nurse Practitioner, a definition which will be taken as an insult by people in both professions.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361