Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Research says playing music makes you more attractive if you’re a man….

Polychrest

….or play keyboards?

A man's face literally becomes more attractive to a woman if she knows he can play an instrument. But the other way around... the effect is different. 

https://www.dw.com/en/playing-music-makes-you-more-attractive-if-youre-a-man/audio-64526451

• Dislike 1

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

No doubt that it's let a lot of us fight above our weight class.

I didn't click through because any time a link makes we watch a video instead of feeding me the information, a little child's kitten dies. But...I can share that one of the theories about why we have arts/artists, is that a creative mind would have been an asset in battle, so both those with creative minds and those who were attracted to them/coupled with them would have been slowly selected for over time. The more rigid of thought and whoever was attracted to them proportionately died off. 

If only we could swing that again somehow...

• Like 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Or cause you to not get the audition for a band.   

Back when I worked at the rehearsal studio there was band had album out who lost their bass player.  They block booked time to work on new material as well as audition bass players.  They were hard rock or prog I don't really know what you'd call  them.    They had quite a few bass players come through auditioning and none that good or sound right with them.   Then one night this black bass player comes in and is great he really locked into their material and whole band really loved playing with him.  They had him stay for a couple hours then he split.    Later they come up to lobby where I worked and they are talking.    They all want the guy for the new bass player then their producer/manager said it won't work.    They guys said why???    Manager said he's too good looking and will draw attention away from the lead singer.  They thought he was kidding, but he wasn't and on next few minutes convinced them not to bring him on and they went back to auditioning bass player.    So a few days later they found a average looking guy who played bass good enough for them and that was it.  

So Confucius say don't be a rhythm section player and be better looking than the singer. 

• Confused 1

Playing music scores chicks. That's been known for a really long time. And the better known you are (i.e. playing gigs vs just a hobbyist), the more you score and the hotter the chicks get. It doesn't really matter much how you look. I mean cmon, if not for music, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger would stlil be virgins. Sadly, I didn't learn this until too late and didn't stick with it when I was a kid and should have. 

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

. . . don't be a rhythm section player and be better looking than the singer . . . 

The interesting distinction in the late-night Deutsche Welle podcast I linked to was that it was playing an instrument (as opposed to being strictly a vocalist) that triggered the female mating impulse.  The researchers found no comparable response in guys confronted with female instrumentalists.  Guys don’t make passes at girls who play basses? :facepalm:

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

5 minutes ago, Adan said:

Didn't we all figure this out at about age 14?

If I'd really figured that out at age 14, I'd be a guitarist, not a keyboardist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In the same vein, there was a study that showed that a guy carrying a guitar case was able to get more girls' phone numbers than the same guy w/out the guitar case. He didn't play music for the girls and I don't think it was even mentioned in the conversations (which were semi-scripted; he didn't vary his patter much talking with one girl versus another); the guitar case was just sitting there. The venue was a big public place...I think maybe the concourse at an airport? Something like that. Anyway, the conclusion was the same: Girls like musicians.

Grey

• Like 1

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

22 hours ago, bill5 said:

Playing music scores chicks. That's been known for a really long time...

But..... It doesn't out work well for keyboardists & drummers when the guitar & bass players simply unplug their solid state amps, pack up their axes and wheel their amps out with the chicks-of-the-night carrying their guitar cases -- 5 minutes after the gig ended.

Meanwhile, the keyboard player and drummer are taking their stacks and kits apart, packing everything well, making 4 to 6 trips to the rental van they shared (and getting extra help when you gig with a chopped Hammond M3 & Leslie 147, plus a MiniMoog in a heavy Anvil case) -- so then later, about 45 minutes after the gig ended, all the chicks are gone...........................

Been there, done that -- dozens of times...

Old No7

• Like 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

1 hour ago, GRollins said:

In the same vein, there was a study that showed that a guy carrying a guitar case was able to get more girls' phone numbers than the same guy w/out the guitar case. He didn't play music for the girls and I don't think it was even mentioned in the conversations (which were semi-scripted; he didn't vary his patter much talking with one girl versus another); the guitar case was just sitting there. The venue was a big public place...I think maybe the concourse at an airport? Something like that. Anyway, the conclusion was the same: Girls like musicians.

Note to myself, stop at Guitar Center on the way home tonight and get any kind of good looking guitar case that is cheap. 

I am flying next month....  I wonder if a guitar case is a good carry-on bag?  I am sure I could pack a couple days' clothes in one.

18 hours ago, Polychrest said:

The interesting distinction in the late-night Deutsche Welle podcast I linked to was that it was playing an instrument (as opposed to being strictly a vocalist) that triggered the female mating impulse.  The researchers found no comparable response in guys confronted with female instrumentalists.  Guys don’t make passes at girls who play basses? :facepalm:

I certainly would.

Only if she was interested, of course. But a man can dream. ;) 

• Love 1

I played my first real gig on guitar in the 9th grade opening for a well-known local band. No girls ever payed attention to me before but at school on Monday three girls I didn't know started talking to me because they saw me at the show.

• Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 1/29/2023 at 6:06 PM, Polychrest said:

The researchers clearly didn't poll me about this. 🤣

• Like 3

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The study notes that if you are a guitar player, all you need to do is to carry a guitar case, and you will be more attractive to women.  However, if you are a keyboardist, you have to actually play with a high degree of skill before women will be sexually attracted to you.  DAMMIT!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Tommy Lee agrees. Just ask Pamela Anderson, Heather Locklear, and a bunch of other Hollywood actresses and models.  They dug him because of his "huge" musical talent. 

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

When you're a bass player, it's kind of irrelevant, as Paul McCartney is the rare exception of a bassist that women actually even notice much less like. We're invisible!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I have it on good authority that Sting is noticed by women also. 

Cheers, Mike.

I think being a bassist AND a lead singer is a different game. Ask me how I know. Then ask me how oblivious I was to how well it was actually working for me as a teenager...

• Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Women are attracted to men based on different types of looks. It could physical appearance, style of dress, intellect, athleticism, talent, etc.

H8ll, some women are attracted to men in uniform.  I'm not sure that means instead of a guitar case, running out and buying army fatigues or service dress blues if a prop is required to become more attractive. 🤣

All BS and props aside, the universally accepted and most attractive quality in a man is confidence and swagger.  A confident man can get anything he wants.

The most physically unattractive dude on the planet can pull a dime-piece of a woman if he's unafraid to approach her. 

If a man exudes confidence and swag, dime-pieces will flock to him.  If that dude also happens to be intelligent, gifted and/or talented, it's game, set, match. 

Don't ask me how I know.  I'm not Hitch.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

57 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I think being a bassist AND a lead singer is a different game. Ask me how I know. Then ask me how oblivious I was to how well it was actually working for me as a teenager...

Sam, unfortunately I think being the bassist detracted from your attractiveness as the lead singer.  This is a textbook case of more NOT being more.  Rather, losing the bass would have made you more attractive.

Furthermore, even being really good at playing bass would not help the above scenario.  If you got up there on stage and proceeded to rip some amazing bass licks, that would only confuse a woman who might be sexually attracted.  First, she would see you singing and immediately be attracted.  Then you'd rip the bass licks, and her attention would then be directed at your bass, and her initial excitement would diminish.

• Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

21 hours ago, TommyRude said:

The study notes that if you are a guitar player, all you need to do is to carry a guitar case, and you will be more attractive to women.  However, if you are a keyboardist, you have to actually play with a high degree of skill before women will be sexually attracted to you.  DAMMIT!!

Awww, man,there's ALWAYS a catch isn't there!