Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Display Your Keyboard Logo On Stage?

JamPro

21 hours ago, rickzjamm said:

TommyRude, which Casio did you use on the TS tour? I would imagine you opted for VSTs as opposed to the Casio inboard sounds.  

hey rickzjamm, thanks for asking.  If you read through the thread I go into more detail about the preparation for the tour, the gear & technology, interaction with Taylor, more...  As for Casio, there were a few.  I recall the CK-200 was a workhorse.  The Casio team really pulled out all the stops on that board, super advanced tech, and gave us the ability to tailor sounds to Taylor's needs.

• Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 4 weeks later...

From Saturday’s Keb Mo’ show at Parx, Bensalem, Pa.

Dane Farnsworth on keys sounded stellar and the whole show was wonderful. 

The black keyboard facing the audience was definitely a shell with I’m guessing the Nord Grand.  I saw an overhead shot on the big screen that revealed red end caps.  That, plus the shape and the distinctive, familiar sound of one of the Nord upright samples makes it a safe bet. 

675761DE-06B7-4F2F-ACF4-7275131E9160.png

7 minutes ago, ewall08530 said:

From Saturday’s Keb Mo’ show at Parx, Bensalem, Pa.

The black keyboard facing the audience was definitely a shell with I’m guessing the Nord Grand.  I saw an overhead shot on the big screen that revealed red end caps.  That, plus the shape and the distinctive, familiar sound of one of the Nord upright samples makes it a safe bet. 

Dane is a terrific keyboard player and was with Mingo Fishtrap for a number of years (I don't know the current status of that band, but that's another story). When I saw him with them, he had covered most of his Nord Stage with camo-patterned tape but on the small stages I saw them on, I could easily tell what he was using.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 1/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, Stokely said:

I've had the thought that if Casio changed their name they might have more sales.   Then again, for all I know they are drowning in sales!
Do I think this is right or fair?  Hell no, it's ridiculous.  If I heard someone run down Casio I'd make a point to mention they make some fine pro gear, right before I insulted their Mom.  And I don't even own a Casio! (but would if it met my needs!)

I missed this thread earlier. I see a number of comments like this about Casio, and forgive me if I've shared this before... Casio has fought this image problem since the early days. After making small, portable "fun" keyboards for a number of years, we (I worked there for 4 years as Product Manager and 4 years before that as a demonstrator) started making cooler, more pro gear. Like the CZ synths, the RZ-1 drum machine, the AZ-1 keytar, the FZ-1 sampler, the VZ-synth... you know. 

We did well with the CZs, but it was hard to get any respect in the pro community. I spun off the pro gear to different, more MI dealers only and tried to do everything I could to separate the consumer and the pro, but it was an uphill battle. I too had the idea of creating a sub-brand to remove the Casio name from the products. But I didn't get very far with that idea when I realized that the name comes from the family name of the brothers who founded the company. Kashio. So can you imagine having that meeting, telling them that their name was hurting sales? Not. Gonna. Happen.

Our next plan was to buy some smaller companies so we could have pro products under another brand name. We thought about either EMU or Ensoniq. Before that plan went very far I ended up getting headhunted and switched to Ensoniq (12/88), so the plan went no further. Think back to a dozen years or so later and what happened? Creative Labs bought both companies. Can you imagine if that had been Casio instead?

OK - enough nostalgia. It's a shame that Casio still fights this image battle - they make amazing products, not just for their price points, but in general. Are they a 100% pro company? Certainly not, but there's no shame in playing a Casio board on stage.

• Like 4

On 1/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, Krakit said:

My Roland JX-8P was the first keyboard I used in a gigging band. I elected to put duct tape over the logo on the back. I chose duct tape because the tape resembles the finish of the keyboard itself. I still have this keyboard and must admit that my attempts to remove all traces of the duct tape have me regretting the decision immensely. 

I will never stick anything on any of my keyboards again, with the exception of a vinyl wrap. 

Even my cases remain pristine.  

The surprising product to remove all duct tape residue without damaging a thing is Gibson Guitar Polish (if they still make it). That stuff is magic. For electrics, not acoustics. The Martin acoustic polish doesn't work as well and is way too oily.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

If people, especially other keyboardists, see that I'm using a Kurzweil PC4-7 and they really like the sound, maybe they'll buy a PC4-7, helping in a small way to grow the user base, enabling Kurweil to grow and put more money into new features, bug fixes, new models, and get into more stores. I see no downside.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Funny today on IG keyboardist Kiefer Shackelford posted a rant saying unless companies give him gear he's covering up all logo on his stage gear.   

Personally if I was a gear company I would think the guy is embarrassed to use our gear, well write him off the list of people to endorse in the future.  Covering up the logos doesn't do anything gearheads are still going to figure out what you're using and buy that gear if they like it.    So for me unless for TV or doing a show with a lot stage design and gear needs a stealth look why bother covering up logo.  It could have the reverse effect and keep you from a future gear deal in the future.

• Like 1

I’ve never gaffed over the logo of a keyboard.  But I’m not strongly opinionated about it one way or the other.  I’ve certainly never played on TV.

However that’s not what I came here to say.  Last year I did a lot of backlining stage pianos and here in Australia one generally ends up with a Roland RD of some description.

The attached photo was taken at a gig in Melbourne, home of Australian cricket superstar Scott Boland.  I honestly had no idea that someone had altered the logo until a mate pointed it out upon seeing the picture.  

E91908EE-E4A7-413B-A0DF-3989407E66E2.jpeg

CF635B98-F421-4454-B741-829F1F2AB859.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, ewall08530 said:

I knew Dane's late father quite well.  Got to jam with him several years ago, on a NS2 that belonged to Dane, which was fun.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

I’ve wondered about this for a long time. I also avoid clothing with logos on it, but I don’t feel the same way about my keyboards. I think back to when I was eight years old watching the Beatles on TV… I barely knew what musical instruments were, but from that moment on, I was obsessed by Hofner And Greta he  and ricenbaker and Ludwig. I like to know what pianos my role models are playing as well. Today my keyboards are Korg, Casio, Hammond, and a Yamaha S80 at home that I bring to certain gigs. Even though I understand peoples comments, I like to promote that the sounds my audience are enjoying came from a Casio, for example. I think of young people out there, who are getting turned on to music, and to see the various options being played live is a good thing for them.

I do understand the point about not giving free advertising, but every time I see black tape covering the logo I can’t help but feel like the keyboard player either had a personal beef with the company or just worries about the wrong things in life. I feel like the statement should be made by the music he is playing, and I find the act of covering logos to be an attempt to make a secondary statement. A lot of musicians use the stage to make political statements, and while I am definitely a liberal, more than one sentence along those lines and I start getting antsy. I came here to listen to what you have to say with your instrument, so please get back to playing.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com