Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Beck RIP

At onetime I played most the material from his fusion phase. My fusion band in the 80s covered a ton of his work. I learned so much from the Wired and Blow by Blow albums.   Guitar work as well as Jan and Max ‘s keyboard work.  Both Jeff and Max were beastly insanely great players

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

5 minutes ago, CEB said:

Max ‘s keyboard work.  Both Jeff and Max were beastly insanely great players

Max's use of the Rhodes stereo vibrato and the way he comped behind Beck and his soloing with that effect became an obsession I have had since and still have.

• Like 2

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The most talented electric guitarist of our time has left us. 

Thank you Jeff for all the great music.

I feel blessed that I saw him open for BB King many years ago. He played as always, fantastic musician. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Jeff Beck never succumbed to being a cliche of himself.  His unique approach had no space for it. Every time he played he was using different words to say the same thing if he wasn't adding more insight to the original story.

He didn't get to reap the monetary rewards and have mass recognition like some guitarists who caught on with main stream rock fans but he is one of the very few who created a unique niche carving his own path defining and refining his voice. In the Rock genre he was around in its beginning and stuck to his personal principles gathering little things from everywhere and expressing them in his own unique way to the very end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 16251 said:

Max's use of the Rhodes stereo vibrato and the way he comped behind Beck and his soloing with that effect became an obsession I have had since and still have.

As much as I love Beck/Hammer, Max never got nearly enough credit for his work IMO. 

• Like 2

As a youngster we'd play Freeway Jam over and over.  Of course we couldn't even come close to what Jeff and his band were doing, but we wanted to.  That music took us all to a different and amazing place.  Those memories stuck with me through the years.   RIP Jeff Beck

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

My #1 guitar god, bar none, and I stupidly missed a chance to see him in Maryland last year due to the drive and still not feeling comfortable going out during the pandemic (other than the occasional gig, mostly outdoors, I have done nothing but do home chores and office work, plus one or two grocery store trips a week, since COVID started).

It was indeed sudden, as he caught meningitis and was gone shortly thereafter. I am devastated beyond words.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager