Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What beer or wine are you drinking lately?

bill5

11 hours ago, bill5 said:

I never liked Heineken but they IMO always had one of the coolest bottle labels :)

Yeah, I like Heineken's label too.    However, I find the red star slightly disturbing:  Heineken is Dutch, but that red star reminds me of Communist China.

Here's an interesting article from 2017 about Heineken's red star label being banned in Hungary for being too communist or something.    I don't think it actually happened...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hungary-heineken-redstar-idUSKBN16R17K

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a couple of 12-pack mixers lately which tbh I did not care for...one was Port City which is based out of Alexandria, VA, the other is Kona which based out of...no not Hawaii but New Hampshire :) Mostly weak beer and the flavors just did nothing for me. But this is how we learn, I don't want to get the same thing all the time.

Port City Monumential IPA is a fantastic offering, IMNSHO. You should give it another try, or maybe that one wan't in the mix pack.  I was lucky enough to hang out there at their brewery a few years back with Markyboard.

It's typically available in bottles at Trader Joes in DC, and always available on draught at Ted's Montana Grill near my crib.

:nopity:

12 hours ago, Doerfler said:

Port City Monumential IPA is a fantastic offering, IMNSHO. You should give it another try, or maybe that one wan't in the mix pack.  I was lucky enough to hang out there at their brewery a few years back with Markyboard.

It's typically available in bottles at Trader Joes in DC, and always available on draught at Ted's Montana Grill near my crib.

Nope wasn't in the pack and i'm not in DC so might not be able to get that one, but keep in mind.

Re Guinness I hear it's much stronger overseas than here...I wish they exported that version!

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Re Guinness I hear it's much stronger overseas than here...I wish they exported that version!

your source is incorrect. All Guinness draught is brewed in Dublin, then shipped globally

:guinness:

:nopity:

• 3 weeks later...

How disappointing...

Speaking of disappointing, my last two adventures in beers I haven't tried haven't panned out. I tried a porter from a regional brewery which bills as "hints of chocolate and toffee"....right...it's like someone took a beer and melted an entire chocolate bar into it. Gross. Also tried New Belgium's "Voodoo Ranger" IPA and it's terrible...not at all hoppy and also a icky sweetness to it. Oh well live and learn :)  

• 1 month later...

For Father's Day I got a trio of Founders Porter, KBS Imperial Stout, and Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale. I love their Porter, the Dirty Bastard was also good, but the KBS is aged in Bourbon barrels and takes on way too much of that taste. You can't taste any of the coffee or chocolate that's added. Not a fan.

Otherwise, I drink whatever dark beer I can find on sale. Recently it's been Shiner Bock and Yeungling Black & Tan.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 4/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, Doerfler said:

your source is incorrect. All Guinness draught is brewed in Dublin, then shipped globally

:guinness:

But it does taste much better in Europe. Most likely because they drink so much of it, it's fresher. I also noticed that the head is a bit whiter over there than it is here. That may be a freshness issue, also.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My fridge beer is Stella Artois. I like a good pilsner. In the SF Bay Area I get Trumer Pils at my local gig watering hole, and also Fort Point Kolsch. In wine, I drink French and Italian reds. As bill5 above, I'm grateful for Total Wine. For special sipping, it's Redbreast single pot still Irish Whiskey

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Speaking of Total Wine, my last few excusions:

La Enfermera (Spain) - A good tempranillo. When I think of wine, I rarely think of Spain but that is changing; they are so consistent in their quality.

Marchese di Borgosole (Italy) - Oh man this was good, very smooth. Went perfect with a steak.

Beer wise I tried Lagunita's IPA. Solid enough beer, not amazing, wouldn't be my first choice, but no real complaints.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:56 PM, Floyd Tatum said:

As much as I can get down my throat.     Just kidding.    Heineken.

I'm not sure if I got some "bad" Heineken, or if my taste has changed.  I used to love Heineken, but the last few times it has been weird-tasting.   I'm not particularly picky about beer so this is a bit weird.

Lately I'm cutting back on hard stuff and don't really like regular wine much.  Solution--sake!

58 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I'm not sure if I got some "bad" Heineken, or if my taste has changed.  I used to love Heineken, but the last few times it has been weird-tasting.   I'm not particularly picky about beer so this is a bit weird.

I've gone off Heineken too.   Lately I'm just drinking average Canadian beer - Molson's Canadian, which is fine as far as it goes (which is down my throat).    Definitely not Bud Light.    What I'd really like to drink is what's referred to as "real ale" - beer brewed the English way, served in an English pub, hand-drawn from a cask in the basement, totally natural, no artificial carbonation.    I was in England in 1967, and was able to go to English pubs.   That's what I really want, but I can't get it in North America.    It's not a thing North Americans care about.   Here, people think unusual craft beers are the pinnacle of achievement.     Thing is, I don't know whether what I remember is real, or some kind of exaggeration my memory's come up with.   I've learned that memories are not reliably accurate, which is why, before I die, I'd like to visit England again (my place of birth) and see if my memories are lying to me or not.

21 hours ago, El Lobo said:

My fridge beer is Stella Artois. I like a good pilsner.

Same, although I rotate among Stella, Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell, and Peroni.

What’s the best kind of beer?

An open one.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Just got back from vacation in Utah and brought back some Polygamy Porter from Wasatch Brewery. Quite good. 

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I wonder if I'd have the same reaction now, as there are breweries everywhere, but as a younger person I never drank much in the way of "fancy" beer.  Rolling rock was fine and dandy, I just didn't pay much attention.

I visited a friend in Germany and had some draft beer from their town brewery.  It wasn't even in the same category as what I had called "beer".  I was shocked it was so much better.

That's why I'd be hesitant to visit say a Scotch Distillery where they make the expensive stuff.  It would be very interesting but I'd have to try a sample of course...  Ignorance may not be  bliss but it helps you hold onto your money sometimes.

When I was younger, there were no microbreweries or "craft" beer. The top-end beers were Canadian and German. We actually thought Miller was decent beer. ah youth :) 

tbh I'm surprised that the Bud/Miller type stuff still sells so well, esp as it isn't much cheaper anymore. 

David Coffaro Wine.   They're in Dry Creek Valley north of Healdsburg, CA.

He believes in making world class wine affordable.   He offers futures as well as a wine club that makes it very affordable.

Wonderful winemaker's diary going back to 1998.  https://david-coffaro-winery.myshopify.com/

ScreenShot2023-06-22at4_42_48PM.thumb.png.b802ce3e39219c91d25682a219c3ff25.png

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The last beer I had was delicious. This was at El Segundo Brewing Company in El Segundo, CA. It's called Citra Pale, which is a hoppy pale ale. Great beer for a warm summer day.

In my experience, there have never been numerous inexpensive good wines.   Inexpensive good wines exist but they are rare.

As a confirmation of the above, it's been proven that (1) most people have no taste who think they have taste in wines,  and (2) 38% of people don't have a sense of humor, resulting in a serious conflict with who they interact.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3