Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blossom Dearie

Dave Bryce

Just now, Dave Ferris said:

One of my favorites, typically in her understated hip style. She swung her @ss off !

That's the thing!    She's not flashy (no OP), but she gets it done, completely.  The feel, the right lines in the first video.   Phrasing in the second video.

I had not heard of her.  Totally awesome!   Thanks for posting Dave and  Dave!

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

14 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Oh man, one of my all time favorites. ❣️

She was totally an original and totally the sh!t ! Miles loved her ! I saw her in  the '80s at old Donte's in N. Hollywood with Dave Frisberg. What a pair ! You could barely get in the door, SRO packed in like sardines. Yet you could hear a pin drop during Ballads.

One of my favorites, typically in her understated hip style. She swung her @ss off !

Her version of Surrey is killer.  I have her Once Upon A Summertime album - it’s on there.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

40 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

You might have, without knowing it.

Perhaps you’ve heard this one..?  :thu:

dB

Beautiful.  That was one I missed but I'm glad you pointed it out.   The piece is a confluence of talent in multiple ways that will never be seen ever again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I saw her at Danny's Skylight Room in Manhattan with her trio, I think it was around 2004.   That was one of her last residences, I think she was there for about five years.   Nice.  She performed Bye Bye Country Boy, written by Jack Segal and Blossom.   I liked it.   I've got it on a cd I bought at the gig somewhere.

Weird, long time ago in sixties wondered why first time hearing a legit song by her, I somehow thought it was a put on like someone doing Betty Boop.

Further listening revealed she obviously had the goods. Just a unique style.

Googling her, I found she did this root beer commercial I remember hearing growing up. Some apparently thought she did a take on Betty Boop. 

Seems a stretch, but interesting. I loved Hires back then and still do.

she had a number steady gigs here in NYC.... Floyd Tatum had it:  "I saw her at Danny's Skylight Room in Manhattan with her trio, I think it was around 2004. "

so relaxing... 

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122