Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Holiday Tunes

Docbop

When I worked at the church I made a Funky Holiday MixCD with lots of tunes I liked, they'd play it in the bookstore now and then.    I can't find a copy of the CD but I'll start this off with a few of the tunes.  So here's a few of the tunes I can remember maybe others can add some of theirs faves.

• Like 1

Take 6:  Love this.  They should sue JC for copyright infringement based on his whole shtick.   This track is great, but is one and done for 365 days.

En Vogue is the new Rick Astley on this cut.  Can't play it at a party beyond the into without the guests turning to violence.

Babyface..  Nice sounding track, but why?  I often wonder what if Coltrane had done a rework of Rudolph, or Frosty the Snowman.  He could have done a medley:   My favorite Snowmen, and Jazz would have been changed.

The Ronnettes.  Love it!  Probably one of the best of the obligatory Christmas releases.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

34 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Take 6:  Love this.  They should sue JC for copyright infringement based on his whole shtick.   This track is great, but is one and done for 365 days.

JC, Jacob Collier talks about Take 6 and they are an influence on his harmony. 

Thanks for the great music!!

At this time of year my family enjoys Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra's Big Band Holidays I and II. Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite and Cyrus Chestnut's A Charlie Brown Christmas have already been played. I expect that Voces8's Christmas album will be on solid rotation shortly. 

The young people at UNT's One O'clock Lab Band are understandably on a different skill level from the Wynton Marsalis professionals but still fun to watch ... 

19 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Take 6:  Love this.  They should sue JC for copyright infringement based on his whole shtick.

Ahh, the JC hate rears its head again! "Shtick"?

Maybe the Singers Unlimited should sue Take 6. Or, the Hi-Lo's should sue the Singers Unlimited (I know, SU were formed by two of the Hi-Lo's).

Anyway, I still listen to this every so often, and not only in December:

And this from June Lee, always a trip to behold. I can't imagine the ears you need to do this:

https://youtu.be/oGFGTrbemAs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Ahh, the JC hate rears its head again! "Shtick"?

Oxford: shtick -- a person's special talent, interest, or area of activity.  (Emph. mine).   It's what he does.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

OK I'll go with that, maybe I'm just the sensitive type! 🙂  To me, the word implies a bit of a dismissive 'tude, as in "gimmicky." And as far as "what he does", I would argue his vocal arranging is one of the many things he does!

Hmm.. just checked that Oxford dictionary and found your definition, also this one that you didn't mention: "a gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc. associated with a particular person." (Emphasis mine!).

Anyway, I know how mentioning JC here seems to stir things up a bit. I like his vocal stuff, others don't - fair enough. Happy Holidays!

Not going to post links but some of my favs:

Anything by Vince G but esp of course the Charlie Brown stuff 

Mostly because my follks played it when I was a kid, Ray Conniff's Christmas album: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000024RK/rayconniffintern

Manheim Steamroller's Silent Night and Deck the Halls

McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time

Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Boston Pops Orchestra - Sleigh Ride

Judy Garland - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Jon Anderson - Save All Your Love

John Denver & The Muppets - Twelve Days of Christmas

Gene Autry - Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer

The Royal Guardsman-  Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

I want to add Springsteen's Santa Claus is Comin to Town but it's been so overplayed for so long that it ruined it for me.

Speaking of overplayed, I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard over Grandma got run over by a reindeer (which was mildly funny when it first came out) 

Outside of all that, simple instrumental versions of the classics, secular or not