Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song(s) that artist covered that became "go-to" version.

The Beatles "Twist and Shout"

Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah"

Janis Joplin "Me and Bobby McGee"

Santana "Black Magic Woman"

The Animals "House of the Rising Sun"

Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 U"

• Like 4

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Since We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck (Stevie, but he never recorded it)

'Til You Come Back to Me - Aretha (Stevie, and he DID record it)

I Can't Help It - Michael Jackson (Stevie, not sure if he did ever record it)

Without You - Harry Nilsson

Hurt - Johnny Cash (I know, that may be pushing it, but...man) - wineandkeyz beat me to it

• Like 2

Once I discover the original of anything, I usually prefer it, even though it's often late in life, but there are many exceptions, such as almost anything The Beatles covered.

I had never heard Springsteen's original until a few years ago (didn't even know he wrote it or recorded it; I'm not a Springsteen fan), and can't stand Mann's anymore!

Hard for me to listen to Santana's "Oye Como Va" after many high energy versions by Tito Puente (Santana even drops the mid-section). Same with La Bamba vs. Los Lobos.

In some cases, an artist wrote a song for someone else and then did their own version, which I prefer (e.g., Joni's "Woodstock" and others, Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer").

There are other cases where the cover is like a different song and cannot really be compared. Think of Yes's long-winded covers of America and stuff on first two albums.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow I am extremely surprised James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt haven't yet been mentioned...IMO the king and queen of covers. Almost everything they remade I liked better than the original, they were so good at it. Among the many:

Oooh Baby Baby

Every Day

How Sweet It is

Something in the Way She Moves

Oooh Baby Baby

That'll be the Day

etc etc

• Like 2

Elvis Presley didn't write many songs, maybe 3?

ALL of his songs are covers, pretty much. 

Emmylou Harris has written a few songs but most of her songs are covers too. 

There are quite a few artists who sold a lot of records but didn't write much. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

31 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Elvis Presley didn't write many songs, maybe 3?

ALL of his songs are covers, pretty much. 

Emmylou Harris has written a few songs but most of her songs are covers too. 

There are quite a few artists who sold a lot of records but didn't write much. 

I was gonna say, Elvis lol.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

10 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Up until a few years ago I didn’t know this was a cover of a Tommy James And The Shondells song.

My favourite music trivia fact: this song replaced Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" at the top of the Billboard Top 100. Both were Tommy James and the Shondells originals. It is the only time in Billboard history that two consecutive number 1s were covers of the same artist.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 3

I can't believe no one's mentioned this cover or others from this landmark album:

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A