Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday Sales 2022

There have been some decent ones.  Cinesamples (not really for me as I don't do orchestral composing) had an unprecedented sale, not sure if it's over.

That IK sale is very good if you are just starting out and in need of a lot of different plugins.  Heck B-3X alone is normally more than the entire Max bundle price I think.

LA Scoring strings is on sale for 150, but no more strings for me until I use the ones I have more!

For anyone needing drums, 8dio had 3 kits on sale for 20 bucks each (I got one, and 15 bucks off doing the "refer a friend" thing).  Superior Drummer is $295 at Thomann, which believe it or not is a very rare sale and the lowest anyone remembers seeing it.   Also the lowest, BFD3 is $49 right now--I'd jump on that but I don't like what I'm hearing about instability on Macs, and that product has changed hands several times.  I don't really "need" drums in any case so I'm exercising new-found restraint this year!  (I might pick up Sun Drums from SonicCouture if it were to go half off though!)

Not to steal this thread's thunder, and I'll remove if desired, but a great place to spot deals is on reddit:   look for "By Grabthar's Hammer", audioproductiondeals reddit.   The folks at vi-control have a thread going as well, they are of course focused a bit on sample libraries.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stokely said:

There have been some decent ones.  Cinesamples (not really for me as I don't do orchestral composing) had an unprecedented sale, not sure if it's over.

That IK sale is very good if you are just starting out and in need of a lot of different plugins.  Heck B-3X alone is normally more than the entire Max bundle price I think.

LA Scoring strings is on sale for 150, but no more strings for me until I use the ones I have more!

For anyone needing drums, 8dio had 3 kits on sale for 20 bucks each (I got one, and 15 bucks off doing the "refer a friend" thing).  Superior Drummer is $295 at Thomann, which believe it or not is a very rare sale and the lowest anyone remembers seeing it.   Also the lowest, BFD3 is $49 right now--I'd jump on that but I don't like what I'm hearing about instability on Macs, and that product has changed hands several times.  I don't really "need" drums in any case so I'm exercising new-found restraint this year!  (I might pick up Sun Drums from SonicCouture if it were to go half off though!)

Not to steal this thread's thunder, and I'll remove if desired, but a great place to spot deals is on reddit:   look for "By Grabthar's Hammer", audioproductiondeals reddit.   The folks at vi-control have a thread going as well, they are of course focused a bit on sample libraries.

Is Thomann legit?  The overseas company?  I've been scared to order from them before... Their prices are low compared to here... Always seems sketchy to me. 

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

50 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Is Thomann legit?  The overseas company?  I've been scared to order from them before... Their prices are low compared to here... Always seems sketchy to me. 

Yes, they’re a pretty big online MI dealer across the pond. They can’t always sell to us (you’ll find out when you go to check out) if the manufacturer has agreements with US distributors and dealers.  But if they can, then yeah the dollar is strong right now. Might be worth the shipping.  Or if a download, then sure, why not. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thomann is legit.  I was worried at first too, but now  I've bought a fair amount of gear from them.  The first time, I got really excited about the low price of one keyboard (even after shipping) and purchased--only to have them contact me and explain that the US customs might/will apply some fee (how much exactly they didn't know) to the item.  That said, they offered to roll back the sale if I didn't want to proceed.  I did roll it back, because a 25% (or more) import fee would have negated the savings, and they might have held up the item in customs as well.  I really appreciated this, they didn't have to do that.

A "pro tip"  :)    If ordering multiple things, make sure to put them in one order as the shipping doesn't seem to increase per item.

Another hard-earned tip:  be wary of power adapters.  I got a euro one for a pedal and ended up ordering a new one here in the states (I wasn't sure if I could use an adapter to use the euro wall wart and didn't want to risk it.)   I've mostly bought keyboard stands and accessories, K&M in particular is a great deal from Thomann.  I saved at least 100 bucks on a Gator flight case.   Gear that I think has more of a risk of breaking I'd probably buy from Sweetwater/Guitar center as I wouldn't need to send it back overseas (presumably).

Lastly, some manufacturers won't ship to the states, period.  (edit:  As ElmerJFudd points out above!)

30 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Thomann is legit.  I was worried at first too, but now  I've bought a fair amount of gear from them.  The first time, I got really excited about the low price of one keyboard (even after shipping) and purchased--only to have them contact me and explain that the US customs might/will apply some fee (how much exactly they didn't know) to the item.  That said, they offered to roll back the sale if I didn't want to proceed.  I did roll it back, because a 25% (or more) import fee would have negated the savings, and they might have held up the item in customs as well.  I really appreciated this, they didn't have to do that.

A "pro tip"  :)    If ordering multiple things, make sure to put them in one order as the shipping doesn't seem to increase per item.

Another hard-earned tip:  be wary of power adapters.  I got a euro one for a pedal and ended up ordering a new one here in the states (I wasn't sure if I could use an adapter to use the euro wall wart and didn't want to risk it.)   I've mostly bought keyboard stands and accessories, K&M in particular is a great deal from Thomann.  I saved at least 100 bucks on a Gator flight case.   Gear that I think has more of a risk of breaking I'd probably buy from Sweetwater/Guitar center as I wouldn't need to send it back overseas (presumably).

Lastly, some manufacturers won't ship to the states, period.  (edit:  As ElmerJFudd points out above!)

Thomann's is especially good if you can keep your purchases under the custom's limit (around $800).  I ordered an item from them on a Monday and it arrived from Thomann's on Wednesday.  Because there were no customs duties I saved about 40% over purchasing in the states and it probably arrived faster as well.  Thomann's also has a 3 year warranty where in the US it is typically 1 year.  They do send Euro style plugs so you have to purchase a Euro two pin to US two pin converter (generally about $3).  The power sources are generally 100-240V so that piece doesn't really matter.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Native Instruments / Izotope software is on sale.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/cyber-season-2022/software/

I need more software like a hole in the head. I do have software from both NI and Izotope and they make good stuff. 

Stokley mentions SonicCouture above, I have their Array Mbira and all of their free stuff. They make great sounding plugins. 

Last but not least, many times in the past software companies have had Xmas gifts. I got Raum reverb from NI that way, it's a keeper. 

So keep an eye out and post here if you see one! 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thomann is useful for buying K&M hardware if the US distributor doesn't have it available.  

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

Thomann's is especially good if you can keep your purchases under the custom's limit (around $800).  I ordered an item from them on a Monday and it arrived from Thomann's on Wednesday.  Because there were no customs duties I saved about 40% over purchasing in the states and it probably arrived faster as well.  Thomann's also has a 3 year warranty where in the US it is typically 1 year.  They do send Euro style plugs so you have to purchase a Euro two pin to US two pin converter (generally about $3).  The power sources are generally 100-240V so that piece doesn't really matter.

Ugh, I kind of suspected I could just get an adapter on that plug, well worst case I have a spare for the Lester K (that I'm not using!)

800 was the cut off they mentioned, not sure if that is exact or what.

11 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I’ll kick off the sharing of info with IK Multimedia doing up to 85% off. 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=BlackFridayMAX2022

I think I am finally going to get Total Studio Max 3.5-  It is $199 and in my account I have $55 in jam points to make it $145. + tax ~ $!60. if I can combine a gift card form someone it oculd be $135 net 

• Like 1

I was in a studio doing some recording and the engineer (also a guitar player) turned me on to the Harley Benton guitar line from Thomann. I picked up a Les Paul copy, Strat copy, and a Tele copy all for around $500. They arrived to the East Coast in 3-4 days, and the set ups were surprisingly good for the price point.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

EZKeys for 1/3 off I am kinda tempted but probably not enough to get. Really I don't have any big needs or money burning a hole in my pocket. If it was something interesting and crazy cheap maybe, but it'd have to be way out there...like last year when Sampletekk had an 80% off sale and I was looking for a good upright piano and they had one (Rain Piano), with that discount it was less than a decent meal. 

18 hours ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

I can't believe you people are still unsure about Thomann. I have been buying stuff from them for over 20 years. Always a great service.

Example 1 - My Sub37 went faulty just inside the 3 year warranty. Thomann repaired and returned - I just paid for the shipping to Germany

Example 2 - fancied a SpaceStation. Ordered, received, tried it out at a rehearsal, not for me, returned, Thomann paid the return shipping, refunded.

Example 3 - despite UK leaving the EU Thomann negotiated a deal so we still don't pay import duty.

They are massive in Europe and have a lot of their own brands like Millenium stands and Harley Benton.

• Like 1

I’ve returned a 100+ kg Yamaha NU1X piano and they covered the transport. Replaced it with a N1X. I’ve returned a few other instruments (YC61 and a YC73 finally ending up with a CP88) without them asking why. Thomann are superb. It’s beyond me why someone would think they are not legit 🧐 

• Like 1

To be fair, I didn't know anything about them until a couple years ago.  I had to ask on some forums (probably here as well) and check around.  They were never on the radar over here for me.  That's the insular states for you, Thomann is in the "here be dragons" part of the map (ie, outside the states!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve returned a 100+ kg Yamaha NU1X piano and they covered the transport. Replaced it with a N1X. I’ve returned a few other instruments (YC61 and a YC73 finally ending up with a CP88) without them asking why. Thomann are superb. It’s beyond me why someone would think they are not legit 🧐 

Price disparities with their US counterparts.  At times too good to be true - but there are reasons for that. And in fact, the states get better pricing on other  items.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Price disparities with their US counterparts.  At times too good to be true - but there are reasons for that. And in fact, the states get better pricing on other  items.   

Ahh, right, I totally forgot they ship to the US too. I thought the question was from a European customer's perspective.

18 hours ago, LarsHarner2 said:

I think I am finally going to get Total Studio Max 3.5-  It is $199 and in my account I have $55 in jam points to make it $145. + tax ~ $!60. if I can combine a gift card form someone it oculd be $135 net 

I am interested in the B-3X for desktop (already own it on ipad). Would you recommend buying the Studio Max bundle? I think I would not need at least half of the stuff which is packed; many of them tell me nothing, I am no guitar player, ... I only have experience with the Sunset Reverb and I remember downloading and activating was more of a PITA.
Thanks for your advice.

16 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

I am interested in the B-3X for desktop (already own it on ipad). Would you recommend buying the Studio Max bundle? I think I would not need at least half of the stuff which is packed; many of them tell me nothing, I am no guitar player, ... I only have experience with the Sunset Reverb and I remember downloading and activating was more of a PITA.
Thanks for your advice.

Your situation definitely sounds like you’re better offer grabbing only what you need/want when on sale.  Grab B3X and be done with it.  Besides there’s always an upgrade path and “jam points” if you want to add something later.  

12 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Your situation definitely sounds like you’re better offer grabbing only what you need/want when on sale.  Grab B3X and be done with it.  Besides there’s always an upgrade path and “jam points” if you want to add something later.  

Thank you!

10 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

Thanks for your advice.

I am in the same situation where I honestly think I would only be using B-3X- (but have 2 B3's already by other companies) and Lurrsen Mastering Console (but use Izotope)

I don't really want to load 470GB onto my hard drive either- it seems some of these things could be redundant. i.e. i use EZ Drummer 2 and a bass sound from Native- 

Its tempting for the volume but I might actually now that I think about it today pass. 

• Like 1

I was interested in a few NI Komplete apps. I just can't accept separately paying for individual apps, even when on sale, as down the track I would have upgraded my KU11 anyway.

Was hoping K14 may be on sale too, but as it's just been released, I guess not. Well after deliberating on the individual costs, I pulled the trigger and upgraded to Komplete Ultimate 14 Collectors Edition!! It was still cheaper than the few individual apps I wanted. I have so eaten my words, as I was growing weary of the endless apps I would never use in all the padding. Oh well, I guess I just have to pretend they don't exist. Clever psych marketing with their prices, to be sure!

My next problem, is my broadband connection 😞 I'm now looking at having to up my ISP plan to something faster, as it's taking me more than a day just to download one of the bigger apps. As the years have gone on, this was inevitable given the increasing large and sophisticated software.

I live in a regional area on wireless broadband, and even my fastest available is not like city speeds.

There are other Black Friday software deals I'd be interested in this year, but I'm a bit scared of paying for something I may have a drama getting, and more products are coming as download only.

Just glad I'm up to date with my computer hardware and storage! 1TB of download....here I come!

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.