Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Joey DeFrancesco

2 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Shame on me if I ever again use sub-optimal gear as an excuse

The Voce sounds good, i still use a Voce V5+ for small gigs with a BURN or a Vent and in a rock situation, it sounds really good, and fabulous through my 122.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

The Voce sounds good, i still use a Voce V5+

1 hour ago, Doerfler said:

in the year 1995, that was a pretty good clonewheel rig 

I mean no disrespect to the Voce... rather, I was complimenting Joey on doing WAY more with a ROMpler and a half-rack than I could do with a Hammond and a Leslie.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I mean no disrespect to the Voce... rather, I was complimenting Joey on doing WAY more with a ROMpler and a half-rack than I could do with a Hammond and a Leslie.   

what's really impressive is that he is carrying the bass and the lead on one 61 note manual, split for upper and lower, leaving him not many keys for either hand, yet you'd never know it.

• Like 6

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

[On the Jazz de Vitoria Gasteiz 1995 video posted earlier]

The hand independence is stunning. Was he born with two brains?  On the blues, the LH plays a walking bass line, perfectly in time with the drummer, while the RH takes off in a furious flurry of runs and bebop lines that are completely free of any notion of the beat, like its spewed from a completely different musical source.  I've watched him do it many times and it always leaves me amazed.  Such a talent.

• Like 4

Damn! I’ve been out of cell coverage for the past two weeks. I certainly didn’t think I would come back to civilization to hear this. Terribly sad right now. Joey was a great player and a very nice person. God rest his soul.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

On 8/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Delaware Dave said:

what's really impressive is that he is carrying the bass and the lead on one 61 note manual, split for upper and lower, leaving him not many keys for either hand, yet you'd never know it.

Yep. Another example on the changes to Secret Love.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Doerfler said:

more of the same, this one with long time drummer Byron Landham. ( I own one of these Studiologic Numa Organ Joey DeFrancisco Signature organs, love it)

I have one too. Great Leslie SIM, percussion, authentic tonewheel sound.

Downbeat: " He began playing organ when he was 4 years old and had memorized Jimmy Smith’s “The Sermon” in six months when he was 5..."

Here's Joey's version at 39:

• 2 weeks later...

with a lot of tears...
I found some old recordings of mine, with Joey here in Italy (during some concerts, or some workshops, or simply having fun at friend's home after dinner...).
I never published these videos because the audio quality is not so good, but now this is just a nice memory of moments spent together.

I met him back in 2007 and every time he was in Milano he spent some time with me and other "organ friends".

a really nice person, great musician, he was often a joker with us listening to his jokes ❤️

nice memories 1

nice memories 2

nice memories 3 (with Jimmy Cobb too)

more unreleased videos coming...

RIP joey 😢

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2022 at 1:30 AM, KRK said:

with a lot of tears...
I found some old recordings of mine, with Joey here in Italy (during some concerts, or some workshops, or simply having fun at friend's home after dinner...).
I never published these videos because the audio quality is not so good, but now this is just a nice memory of moments spent together.

I met him back in 2007 and every time he was in Milano he spent some time with me and other "organ friends".

a really nice person, great musician, he was often a joker with us listening to his jokes ❤️

nice memories 1

nice memories 2

nice memories 3 (with Jimmy Cobb too)

more unreleased videos coming...

RIP joey 😢

I love that face he makes at 3:50 in "nice memories 1"  !  🙂