Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bonnie Raitt's Hammond player

I've been listening to Bonnie's new release Just Like That and was completely blown away by her keyboardist, Glenn Patscha. Up until now, I've never heard of this guy.

The song, "Down the Hall", is a duet with Bonnie and Glenn on Hammond. His expression pedal work breathes so much life into this track. Simply amazing IMHO.

• Like 4

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Very very tasteful playing.  Other than meeting him once in a Zoom, I don't really know Glenn, but he's highly respected, I know that.  I also know Finnegan is on some of the record, and the guitar on this cut might be my bud Kenny Greenberg. He's that good.

So beautiful…

The end is amazing…. The long Hammond chord and the cut off!!! Such a beautiful end of life moment.   

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The guitar could be her, she is a guitarist.

The music is beautiful.This could have been simply vocals and guitar. The organ adds beauty and warmth.

I didn’t expect to get caught up in the story.  I wondered about most in the hospice ward having no one and wondered how difficult it is to be admitted to a hospital in a non-emergency when you have no contacts to list. Hospitals are reluctant to get in a situation where they can’t seek input from family or have them involved in the aftermath of death. Listened through to the end I wondered what brought the narrator to the hospital. I listened again and realized I had missed the part about the flu in a prison infirmary. It wasn’t autobiographical like I had thought. She’s just singing to The People as such is the Country genre.

Wow, that song inspired a number of emotional reactions from me. We lost my father-in-law about a month ago - at least he had his wife and kids around him in his final days.

On a musical level - did anyone spot the "Blackbird" quote at around 2:33? I suspect it was an inspiration - Blackbird is about the struggle for freedom, while Down The Hall uses some of the same stylistic tropes to address a very different subject matter. 

And finally - a lot of "singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar" stuff leaves me cold, but the addition of Hammond, with its huge range of dynamics and tone colour, brings a lot of interest. 

(Edited for punctuation).

Cheers, Mike.

The song doesn't do anything for me really.  I don't hear any gospel influence but rather a player with a great feel and good use of the expression pedal.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yes, the article Stoken6 posted says it's Bonnie on guitar. Beautiful performance.

4 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

The guitar could be her, she is a guitarist.

The music is beautiful.This could have been simply vocals and guitar. The organ adds beauty and warmth.

I didn’t expect to get caught up in the story.  I wondered about most in the hospice ward having no one and wondered how difficult it is to be admitted to a hospital in a non-emergency when you have no contacts to list. Hospitals are reluctant to get in a situation where they can’t seek input from family or have them involved in the aftermath of death. Listened through to the end I wondered what brought the narrator to the hospital. I listened again and realized I had missed the part about the flu in a prison infirmary. It wasn’t autobiographical like I had thought. She’s just singing to The People as such is the Country genre.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:27 PM, The Real MC said:

Nice Hammond technique.  Lot of gospel influence in there.

+1!  Nice Leslie slow/fast changes to complement the very active expression pedal work, as was mentioned above.  Really nice Hammond sound on that!

Tried not to think to hard on those lyrics; as I've lost too many too...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs