Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Sounds Made Famous by Specific Artists

2 minutes ago, Mark Zeger said:

Farfisa organ

2nd generation:

Steve Nieve on Elvis Costello “Radio Radio”

Cindy Wilson on The B52s’ “Rock Lobster”

I believe Kate Pierson played the organ on Rock Lobster, not Cindy.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Garth Hudson from The Band playing "wah organ" on Up On Cripple Creek. 

That wasn't an organ. It was a Clavinet.

I think the song The Shape I'm In is also a Clavinet, but it may also be a Pianet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

That wasn't an organ. It was a Clavinet.

I think the song The Shape I'm In is also a Clavinet, but it may also be a Pianet.

OK, still a keyboard though. 

Take another listen to The Shape I'm In, there is also most definately an organ cooking along on that one. 😁

Garth takes the first solo on an organ and does some call and answer with Robbie on the second solo, also more organ soloing. It's not a Hammond and nobody else plays like Garth, he had a unique style. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

During a certain period Tony Banks uniquely colored his RMI 368x Electra piano sound using an MXR Phase 100.

Phil Collins as a soloist gave a significant nod to the Prophet 5.

Gregg Rolie on Hammond is as much a part of Santana's trademark sound as his vocals and Carlos's classy playing style. 

Richard Wright using Arp Solina String synth and EMS VCS 3 for the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

• Like 1

Clavioline:

"Telstar" 1962 by The Tornados in played by Roger LaVern. First British record to go to number one in the US.

"Runaway" 1961 by Del Shannon played by Max Crook on a modified Clavioline.

"Baby You're a Rich Man" 1967 by The Beatles played by John Lennon.

Hammond Solovox:

"Sugar Shack" 1963 by Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs. Played by producer Norman Petty. Number one song of the year.

Ondioline:

"More" 1963 by Kai Winding played by Jean-Jacques Perrey

"Suspicion" 1964 by Terry Stafford. Player is unknown. Elvis recorded the song first in 1962.

"No Time Like the Right Time" 1967 by The Blues Project played by Al Kooper. Kooper continued to use the Ondioline with BS&T, and Super Session.

"I Think We're Alone Now" 1967 by Tommy James and the Shondells played by session great Artie Butler. Also used on "Mirage" from 1967.

"Lonely Too Long" 1967 by The Young Rascals played by Felix Cavaliere producing a French Horn-like sound.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Hard sync’d oscillators.  - the dude in The Cars.  

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Donald Fagen’s Rhodes on “Babylon Sisters” and Richard Tee’s Rhodes on “Still Crazy After All These Years”

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

4 hours ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Donald Fagen’s Rhodes on “Babylon Sisters” and Richard Tee’s Rhodes on “Still Crazy After All These Years”

Barry Beckett played on Still Crazy. Richard Tee played on One Trick Pony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keyboard solo in In My Life by the Beatles. 

Sir George Martin played it, he could not play that swiftly so the tape was slowed down during recording. 

It has a "harpsichord-ish" sound but it isn't a harpsichord. It is iconic. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/which-beatle-played-the-tricky-keyboard-solo-on-in-my-life.html/

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Pipe Organ:

"Do You Know What I Mean" 1971 by Lee Michaels. Likely the only top ten hit to use a Pipe Organ. Recorded at Whitney Recording Studio in Glendale, CA which had a four manual 1928 Robert Morton Pipe Organ.

Lowrey Organ/Leslie with only bass rotor working:

"Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf. Played by Goldy McJohn only on the first album. 

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact