Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OBERHEIM is back

Mike Martin

Nice! Looking forward to seeing what lies ahead here.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Awesome that Mr. Oberheim was able to get his name and company back. 

Very cool that his peer Dave Smith has graciously kept the Oberheim legacy going as well. 

Jason (J3PO) Pollack is making a name for himself as a musician/synthesist/composer too.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Details are all but moot. Its hard to imagine that there won't be a high-polish OB-8 and most likely a revised OB-6 of some sort below the former's natural price tag. Since Tom gave GForce his blessing for the OB-E v.2, I somehow don't expect yet another actual SEM. People seem to be aiming for the keys, so I loosely expect to see a new OB from Tom that acts like a snowplow, pushing Uli's alleged BX-8 to one side.

• Haha 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I have a big problem with this announcement. Big.

Why?

- I have lusted for a Oberheim 4 or 8 SEM voice ever since hearing Heavy Weather, the Pat Metheny Group “white album”, and a 2 manual SEM 8 voice bought by someone who worked at a local music store. That 8 voice could loosen dental fillings. 

- Owning an Oberheim would be purely scratching a 40 year itch. I won’t be gigging or making any money with it.

- The last analog keyboard I bought? A black/gold ARP Odyssey in 1978. I still have it.
- I haven’t bought any new keyboard gear in a VERY long time. In fact, I’ve been planning to sell off nearly all my home studio gear and going to software.

- I have a big birthday in the fall.

- I can feel the GAS approaching.

So, yeah, big problem. Thanks a #%^ing lot, Tom Oberheim.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mark Zeger said:

I have a big problem with this announcement. Big.

- Owning an Oberheim would be purely scratching a 40 year itch. I won’t be gigging or making any money with it.

- I haven’t bought any new keyboard gear in a VERY long time. In fact, I’ve been planning to sell off nearly all my home studio gear and going to software.

- I have a big birthday in the fall.

- I can feel the GAS approaching.

So, yeah, big problem. Thanks a #%^ing lot, Tom Oberheim.

As the preacher says, get ready, get ready, get ready...🤣

Brotha Mark it reads like you're long overdue to scratch that itch.  I hope that Oberheim delivers bigly.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So happy to hear.  I love that every time I see Tom he has a smile on his face.....or occasionally a glass of wine.   Hoping he brings back something like the 0b1- or a similar compact 2 voice with memory for live use.  Also hoping he ( and Marcus) get to fully concentrate on the fun stuff they're so gifted at, and they find someone to run the biz side of things. 

ps- There's a perfect marketing opportunity right there:  I would love to put my Mini-Mug on one of those coasters!

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

15 hours ago, David Emm said:

Details are all but moot. Its hard to imagine that there won't be a high-polish OB-8 and most likely a revised OB-6 of some sort below the former's natural price tag. Since Tom gave GForce his blessing for the OB-E v.2, I somehow don't expect yet another actual SEM. People seem to be aiming for the keys, so I loosely expect to see a new OB from Tom that acts like a snowplow, pushing Uli's alleged BX-8 to one side.

Maybe we´ll see a new flagship,- a competitor to the MOOG One.

I guess, for a remake of OBX, OB-Xa or OB-8, they won´t need Marcus Ryle urgently.

AFAIK, he was into the Xpander and Matrix-12 before he jumped ships Alesis (Andromeda) and Dynacord (ADD-One).

So, some patchwork like discrete VCOs together w/ the true Oberheim multi-mode SVF and a 2nd Filter (Xpander multimode type), ModMatrix like Xpander/M-12 w/ possibly more sources and destinations, 2 8-voice boards w/ detune page (Matrix-12) and dual/layer mode, modifiers (5 ENVs, 5LFOs, Ramp generators, tracking generators, VCAs etc.), poly portamento w/ the famous modes, (8 or 16x) MIDI Multimode/ Multitimbrality via Multipatch-Mode, 61 keys, arpeggiator (OB-Xa/OB-8) and the Oberheim Phasor and Ringmod as also a flanger/doubler, tape-delay sim and reverb.

Did I forget something ?

Well, I can dream ...

:D

A.C.

• Like 1

Great to see this news!

Fond memories of a lightly-used OB-Xa I picked in 1984; added MIDI to it in 1986.  That keyboard was on almost every gig through 1992, then I sold it for $700... Man, I miss that sound and all the knobby goodness. Thankfully my Stage 3's synth section has lots of front panel fun to offer, and can sound positively huge and 'drippy' as well.  Though putting an OB-6 up top of the Stage has been a temptation.  Will be fun to see what's coming from Oberheim Electronics.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

It's just incredible that Tom and Dave still have the enthusiasm and desire at their age. Nothing short of amazing.

How will this impact on Behringer's production plans? Will they try and get the UBX out sooner? There is still no sign of the Pro 16 either. 

Was the announcement of the Behringer clone the catalyst for this new venture?

A penny for Uli's thoughts eh?

Great synths keep coming out or getting announced. I keep talking myself out of one in order to wait for the next cool thing, so I end up buying nothing. I suppose that is a good thing. Too many options these days....and too much price inflation! I sure like the OB sound. 

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

A redux Matrix 12 could take on the Polybrute and would catch my eye for sure.

The original came out when I was a young teen--no amount of honest work would have afforded one. I did get to play one once. The sound blew my hair back and sunk my eyeballs a bit more into my skull.

A few years later, I got a Matrix 6. Not the same feeling :D

• Love 1
I make software noises.

1 hour ago, ChazKeys said:

It's just incredible that Tom and Dave still have the enthusiasm and desire at their age. Nothing short of amazing.

How will this impact on Behringer's production plans? Will they try and get the UBX out sooner? There is still no sign of the Pro 16 either. 

Was the announcement of the Behringer clone the catalyst for this new venture?

A penny for Uli's thoughts eh?

I personally don't think it will matter to either entity.

There's a market for both the  $$$$ and the $$

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80