Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone CT-S1000V and CT-S500 arranger keyboards

Yep, thanks to those new S1 tones, I may have a CT-S1000V in my future.

BTW Mike and Rich, I really enjoyed the launch live stream. Laura Clapp Davidson was fantastic!

I posted links to the speech technology behind Casio's CT-S1000V:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-speech-synthesis-technology/

Reader, beware! There is serious science/math behind their singing/speech synthesis, the culmination of 20+ years of university research.

-- pj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:01 AM, miden said:

These 'boards are total cheese!

Sorry to Casio and everyone else. Easy to see this is a marketing construction and aimed at creating the most $'s quickly. I am sure others will rave about it, but for me, nah, huge yawn and a turn-off. It's not even listed under the Casio premier keyboards section - and it has no expression pedal input, well at least, it is not mentioned in the VERY limited specs available at this stage. I can't find a pic of the rear either so might have to wait and see.

I am so glad that I am not the only one wondering WHY!

I was expecting something good but am totally disappointed.

I tried the S1000 and S3000 and the OS sucks, the features buried deep, the arranger features are cut down and limited and changing anything on the fly is impossible.

Tried a CTX5000 that lasted a weekend, rubbish OS that would not hold a user preset.

Now these, lets face it they are TOYS, I watched the release and after five minutes was bored out of my skull with Martin and Formidosi going on and on about and demonstrating the text to tone vocal processing that in practice it not worth anything.

Come on Casio get your act together. 

Col

3 hours ago, Biggles said:

Tried a CTX5000 that lasted a weekend, rubbish OS that would not hold a user preset.

After editing a Tone, the CT-X5000 ASKS you if you want to save it....

• Like 3

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

6 hours ago, Biggles said:

I am so glad that I am not the only one wondering WHY!

I was expecting something good but am totally disappointed.

To paraphrase Snoop, if you don't like it, it wasn't made for you.   The common theme through the launch presentation was fun. Everybody who played it looked like they were having fun. Lots of it. Speaking for myself, and I'm a huge vocal synthesis fan, I think it's all kinds of cool for $450.  Now, if you had dropped $8500 on a Moog One and it was full of...eccentricities then yeah, you'd probably have a right to bitch.  For $450 just say mazel tov, live and be well. 

Vince Vaughn Reaction GIF by filmeditor

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Biggles said:

Now these, lets face it they are TOYS, I watched the release and after five minutes was bored out of my skull with Martin and Formidosi going on and on about and demonstrating the text to tone vocal processing that in practice it not worth anything.

So I guess you won't be buying one then?

spacer.png

• Haha 8

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

As sub-$500 keyboards, the CT-S1000V and CT-S500 pack a punch and deliver value for that market segment.  During the January 20th reveal my initial thought was, "Where is Casio going with this technology?" My impression is that the CT-S1000V and CT-S500 are at the front end of something new.

In the same way that the XW-PD1 pad features found its way into the MZ-X500, we will likely see future Casio keyboards that integrate CT-S1000V and CT-S500 features.  The PX-5S replacement is forthcoming and who knows what technology will be implemented.  Casio has lots of IP to work with.

Steve Coscia

Instead of a keyboard with a vocal engine that sounds like a vocoder a la the cylons chasing Lorne Green in Bstar Galatica,  how about a keyboard that sounds like Steve Perry, Steve Walsh, Steve Winwood or (your favorite Steve here). Now THAT would be useful. It would be a new era for coverbands.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I would like to know, which casiotone sounds better CT-S500 or CT-S1 and which will be better for musician (not arranger) to play mostly piano and rock music. I don't need houndreds of sounds but I don't know will the headphone output be enough to sound good linked to mixer and external speakers

2 hours ago, Przemodae said:

Hello

I would like to know, which casiotone sounds better CT-S500 or CT-S1 and which will be better for musician (not arranger) to play mostly piano and rock music. I don't need houndreds of sounds but I don't know will the headphone output be enough to sound good linked to mixer and external speakers

CT-S500 has all of the CT-S1 tones and more. It also has control over cutoff, resonance, attack, release and full editing over effects. The CT-S500 also has 1/4" audio outputs. 

The headphone out on the CT-S1 one is fine for connecting to mixers or external speakers. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

1 hour ago, Mike Martin said:

CT-S500 has all of the CT-S1 tones and more. It also has control over cutoff, resonance, attack, release and full editing over effects. The CT-S500 also has 1/4" audio outputs. 

The headphone out on the CT-S1 one is fine for connecting to mixers or external speakers. 

I undestand that CT-S500 has the same and lots of more tones, but still I'm interested in quality of sound, especialy after connecting it to mixer or external speakers. I don't need hundreds of tones. I need a few, because I look for something like digital piano in small version (I don't have enough space for 88-key piano). For me It's a pity that CT-S1 hasn't got 1/4" audio outputs. It'would be great solution which Casio should have in mind. Because of that I'm curious which Casiotone will sound like a pro at gigs with a band and which has better speakers in use for rehearsals.

Hi Przemodae --

Sounds like you need to try the CT-S1 and CT-S500 side-by-side.

I played the CT-S1 and CT-S400 in-store before buying a CT-S1000V. That A/B was good enough for me. I need the extra sounds. Having them, of course, would give you additional choices from EP, organ, etc. Always good to have choices.

The other big plus of the S500 over the S1 is the screen and registrations. Registrations will let you fast-finger voice changes while playing. You also have the ability to edit the system effect types and send levels, and can completely edit the DSP effects -- and store the changes in a registration.

As to speaker quality, at 2.5W per side, they're more than enough for playing in a small room and a relatively quiet rehearsal. Forget a loud, all-out rock jam. Although the speakers are good, they do have a little boxiness -- even a small monitor gets more high- and low-end. 

I'm pleased with the CT-S1000V so far. I posted two additional articles (links below).

Hope this helps -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-first-impressions/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-observations/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-quick-tips/

• Like 2

@Przemodae

It would sound identical to the 1/4 outputs on the CT-S500.

All of the audio demos you've hard online by us were recorded via the headphone output.

• Like 2

-Mike Martin

Casio

2 hours ago, pjd said:

Hi Przemodae --

Sounds like you need to try the CT-S1 and CT-S500 side-by-side.

I played the CT-S1 and CT-S400 in-store before buying a CT-S1000V. That A/B was good enough for me. I need the extra sounds. Having them, of course, would give you additional choices from EP, organ, etc. Always good to have choices.

The other big plus of the S500 over the S1 is the screen and registrations. Registrations will let you fast-finger voice changes while playing. You also have the ability to edit the system effect types and send levels, and can completely edit the DSP effects -- and store the changes in a registration.

As to speaker quality, at 2.5W per side, they're more than enough for playing in a small room and a relatively quiet rehearsal. Forget a loud, all-out rock jam. Although the speakers are good, they do have a little boxiness -- even a small monitor gets more high- and low-end. 

I'm pleased with the CT-S1000V so far. I posted two additional articles (links below).

Hope this helps -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-first-impressions/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-observations/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-quick-tips/

Thank you for your reply. I've already read ypur articles and they are great helpful and... that's the problem because I've started to think about buying ct-s500 😉

I have old casio tonebank ct670 and I love it but I have to upgrade my sound. My band is a few singers acoustic guitar and keys. Only on gigs there can be more musicians. Now I know I have to check those casiotones in a store and than decide.

2 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

@Przemodae

It would sound identical to the 1/4 outputs on the CT-S500.

All of the audio demos you've hard online by us were recorded via the headphone output.

Thank you very much. That was the information I've needed. I just have to wait for casiotone ct-s500 arive in Poland and then I'll go to store and choose better sound for me but ct-s500 is really interesting instrument.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:14 PM, pjd said:

Hi Paul:

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog postings... I've followed you over the years when researching gear for reviews and just for my own edification. Thanks for all your "deep dives" into the technologies (both hardware and software).

:clap:

Jerry

4 hours ago, Scott D. Jackson said:

Is it possible to assign functions to the knobs that could act like drawbar controls for some of the organ tones? If not, could something like that be added later on?

Not really possible. Do check the way the "advanced organ" tone responds to velocity. Obviously not exactly the same thing but a unique approach to getting a variety of drawbar sounds in one patch that is very playable.

-Mike Martin

Casio

46 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

Hi Paul:

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog postings... I've followed you over the years when researching gear for reviews and just for my own edification. Thanks for all your "deep dives" into the technologies (both hardware and software).

:clap:

Jerry

💯

-Mike Martin

Casio

1 minute ago, Scott D. Jackson said:

Thanks Mike. One other question: how does key action/feel on the S500 compare to the S1?

Exactly the same. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...getting the itch to upgrade to CT-S500 from my CT-S1.   One question for anyone that might have experience:  how does the battery time differ between CT-S500 and CT-S1 (assume it's got to be lower with the display).

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

58 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

Hmmm...getting the itch to upgrade to CT-S500 from my CT-S1.   One question for anyone that might have experience:  how does the battery time differ between CT-S500 and CT-S1 (assume it's got to be lower with the display).

The specs we have from Tokyo say 3 hours continuous. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Hey Mike, does the CT-s500 have the same keybed as the CT-X3000/5000?  The CT-s300?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB