Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone CT-S1000V and CT-S500 arranger keyboards

These 'boards are total cheese!

Sorry to Casio and everyone else. Easy to see this is a marketing construction and aimed at creating the most $'s quickly. I am sure others will rave about it, but for me, nah, huge yawn and a turn-off. It's not even listed under the Casio premier keyboards section - and it has no expression pedal input, well at least, it is not mentioned in the VERY limited specs available at this stage. I can't find a pic of the rear either so might have to wait and see.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

9 minutes ago, miden said:

... and it has no expression pedal input, well at least, it is not mentioned in the VERY limited specs available at this stage. I can't find a pic of the rear either so might have to wait and see.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Both boards have the same connections according to the photos I'm seeing on retailer websites. Left to right: Micro USB To Host, USB-A To Device, Power Switch (I think), DC-In, 1/8" Phones output, 1/8" Audio In, 1/4" R & L/Mono Line Outputs, Pedal 1 (probably sustain/switch) input, Pedal 2/Expression input.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

16 minutes ago, miden said:

and it has no expression pedal input

It does have assignable expression pedal input. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

This is where I found specs:

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/casiotone/ct-s1000v

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/casiotone/ct-s500

They look like good competition to arrangers from Yamaha (PSR line) in this price bracket.   

I notice the 1000V comes with the Bluetooth MIDI-Audio adapter for free while the 500 does not.

I still have a CT-370 from the '80s too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

A couple questions about the 500...

The expression pedal input... is it switchable, like in the 3000, so you could use a Yamaha FC7?

Are the presets nameable? Unlike the 3000...

And, any thoughts about an 88 key version?

thanks in advance. 

7 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

per casio page for 500:

<<Includes WU-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI/Audio adapter>>

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/casiotone-series/ct-s500

Ah they updated the pages.

Earlier in the day, the product page said "optional".   At least that's what I recall.   No screenshot to prove it though.

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Is a User Song basically a linear MIDI sequence?

Found the answer by, well, finding the manual - I presume whatever applies to the 500 also applies to the 1000V

https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/CTS500_usersguide_EN.pdf  

Page EN-158:  "The maximum size of a single song recording is approximately 40,000 notes or 999 measures"

Sounds like a linear sequence to me.

Also looks like songs can be imported and exported to/from a USB drive.  Maybe the Casio Music Space app as well?

Not sure if external gear like my Roland MC-101 can be connected and driven by the sequencer - will have to look further into that.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Also, I see there are up 50 User Rhythms.   Are these are the equivalent of "styles" on other brand arranger keyboards?

Are these created using an app or onboard the keyboard?

I was unable to find the answers to these questions but user rhythms can be imported from the app or USB drive.

I want to do one of the open mic nights at my favorite neighborhood coffee shop.  It's a fairly small space.  That's why I'm considering one of these arranger keyboards.

10 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

A couple questions about the 500...

The expression pedal input... is it switchable, like in the 3000, so you could use a Yamaha FC7?

Are the presets nameable? Unlike the 3000...

And, any thoughts about an 88 key version?

thanks in advance. 

Expressional pedal is Switchable, I have not tested it with a FC7. To my knowledge that pedal is not compatible with any of our keyboards. I have used Expression pedals from Roland, M-Audio and others.

Registrations are currently the same as the PX-S3000. I can't guarantee that there will be an update but we're pushing back to R&D as hard as we can about this.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I want to do one of the open mic nights at my favorite neighborhood coffee shop.  It's a fairly small space.  That's why I'm considering one of these arranger keyboards.

These new models are not replacements for our CT-X3000/5000 arrangers. The CT-X may be better suited for the one-man-band situation better than the CT-S models which gain other features, real-time controls and sounds in comparison.

-Mike Martin

Casio

They are essentially identical. Off the top of my head one physical change...the Lyric button on the CT-S1000V is the DSP button on the CT-S500.  So if you want the vocal synthesis, it's just a little bit more $ or you can save a few bucks and stick with the CT-S500.  Casio realizes the Vocal Synthesis may not be for everyone but they positioned the products this way so that it wouldn't be a large leap for those that do want to experiment with the Vocal Synthesis. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

2 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

is the main piano sound the same one as the ct-s1?

Yes but ultimately more flexible with customizable effects and many more variations that the CT-S1 does not have.

-Mike Martin

Casio

5 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

These new models are not replacements for our CT-X3000/5000 arrangers. The CT-X may be better suited for the one-man-band situation better than the CT-S models which gain other features, real-time controls and sounds in comparison.

Thanks, I will check out the CT-X arrangers.  At first glance, I can see  onboard editing of User Rhythms vs. no onboard editing,  17 tracks vs. 6, 10 Songs vs. 1, etc.  

Also good point by Biggles regarding the speaker wattage.

4 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

is the main piano sound the same one as the ct-s1?

1 hour ago, Mike Martin said:

Yes but ultimately more flexible with customizable effects and many more variations that the CT-S1 does not have.

Does it have all the sounds the CT-S1 has?

The CT-S1 has all those nice direct buttons for selecting sounds. It would be nice if Casio had an iOS/Android app where you could create screens for banks of favorite sounds you could tap to select. Of course there already are apps for sending MIDI Program Changes on command, but they can be a little complicated, with having to enter MSB/LSB/PC for the sound you want and then type the name of the sound, whereas something from the manufacturer could be pre-configured with all the sound names and program changes. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

46 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Does it have all the sounds the CT-S1 has?

Yes. 

38 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

would like to know that , too.  also can the leslie fast/slow speed be changed in the organ patches. (my main peeve about the ct-s1)

Yes.

47 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It would be nice if Casio had an iOS/Android app where you could create screens for banks of favorite sounds you could tap to select.

We've requested numerous times. I don't have any other info at this time.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Wow, all the CT-S1 sounds and more effects customization...

For me this, as well as the assignable knobs,  may outweigh the greater track count, onboard rhythm editing, more powerful amps, etc. of the CT-X units.

The coffee shop in question has its own PA, however modest it may be.