Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2022 Thread

On 3/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, LarsHarner2 said:

I am likely attending a Phillies game in a few weeks for the first time since the pandemic started.  Although I am pleased with some of their moves, they still have holes in CF and for what their total payroll is the rotation could be a little better.

Getting Nick Castelanos is huge for the Phillies. He's another one, like Jorge Soler, that the Cubs were absolute fools to let get away. 

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

11 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Albert Pujols arrives at St. Louis Cardinals spring training to begin 'last run' after reaching deal

I'll miss Pujols as a Dodger, but this is how he should finish his career.

Best,

Geoff

I love the contract they gave him.

$2,500,000/1 year

Plus:  $100,000 for All Star

$100,000 for Gold Glove

$50,000 for Silver Slugger

$100,000 for MVP ($50,000-2nd thru 10th)

$50,000 for DS/MVP

$100,000 for LCS/MVP

$150,000 for WS/MVP

All contracts should be based upon performance. 

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Anyone on T-Mobile? If so, download their T-Mobile Tuesdays app for your tablet. Each Tuesday they offer a new set of giveaways. Usually it's things like free Wendys and such, but tomorrow it's free MLB.TV for the season. That's normally $139.00 to purchase (on sale right now for $129.00). I got it last year, and watched the entire Braves season, and any other games I wanted, for free. I'm going to try again. :)

(They may base whether to give it to you on your account: I have 4 phones, plus Home Internet through them)

• Like 1

So, 38 year old Max Scherzer is hurt. And ace Jacob deGrom is hurt. So much for the #1 rotation, according to the dopes on MLB.com. Boston's ace, Chris Sales, is also hurt. We'll see about 39 yr old Justin Verlander. And Trevor Bauer is still getting paid $35M to be ineligible to pitch. It's a mess of bad GM decisions.

32 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

So, 38 year old Max Scherzer is hurt. And ace Jacob deGrom is hurt. So much for the #1 rotation, according to the dopes on MLB.com. Boston's ace, Chris Sales, is also hurt. We'll see about 39 yr old Justin Verlander. And Trevor Bauer is still getting paid $35M to be ineligible to pitch. It's a mess of bad GM decisions.

Yeah, it is indeed a mess. What a way to start the season! 

At least there is a season to be started this week. That, itself, wasn't guaranteed until a few weeks ago.

MLB Opening Day 2022: Schedule and starting pitchers as baseball season gets underway

Looking forward to the opening games this Thursday and Friday! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

41 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

Anyone on T-Mobile? If so, download their T-Mobile Tuesdays app for your tablet. Each Tuesday they offer a new set of giveaways. Usually it's things like free Wendys and such, but tomorrow it's free MLB.TV for the season. That's normally $139.00 to purchase (on sale right now for $129.00). I got it last year, and watched the entire Braves season, and any other games I wanted, for free. I'm going to try again. :)

(They may base whether to give it to you on your account: I have 4 phones, plus Home Internet through them)

Wow, thanks for the heads up, Synthaholic! Unfortunately, I'm not on T-Mobile; but I'm sure this will benefit many baseball fans.

Best,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a weird season so far. The Reds are 3-22. They won two of those against the Braves in the first series of the year. And only one since.

Ohtani just threw 99 pitches, 81 for strikes. I don't believe there's a better ratio since they started tracking these in 1988. He was also the 2nd player to start a game at Fenway while batting in one of the top 4 lineup slots. The other: Babe Ruth.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

What a weird season so far. The Reds are 3-22. They won two of those against the Braves in the first series of the year. And only one since.

Apparently, the owner is trying to gut the team as done in the film Major League. He got rid of most of the all-star talent.

Reds president Phil Castellini threatens fans: ‘Be careful what you ask for’

Best,

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Again, the National League can't find their bats during an All-Star Game. Not that the American League tore the cover off the ball, either. Good to see hometown L.A. guy Giancarlo Stanton win the game MVP. 

• Like 1

As of this moment, Ohtani is in the top 10 in the AL in all 3 "triple crown" pitching stats (ERA, Wins, Strikeouts), and in 2 of the 3 "triple crown" batting stats (HRs and RBIs).

He barely has enough innings to qualify currently for the ERA leadership, so if you look tomorrow he will not appear there.

6 hours ago, drawback said:

Ha, that's great! Poor Jarren Duran was oblivious that the ball was still in play. Good for Raimel Tapia, hustling to capitalize on the opportunity!

BTW, I got a "Video is unavailable from your current location" message at the link, but I was able to find it on YouTube:

Raimel Tapia Hits Inside-The-Park GRAND SLAM

Oh, and this is worth a mention too:

'We came out hot': Blue Jays score club-record 28 runs

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

BTW, I got a "Video is unavailable from your current location" message at the link

Wow, it happens outside of Canada, for once!   :D

• Haha 1

Here for the gear.

14 hours ago, harmonizer said:

As of this moment, Ohtani is in the top 10 in the AL in all 3 "triple crown" pitching stats (ERA, Wins, Strikeouts), and in 2 of the 3 "triple crown" batting stats (HRs and RBIs).

He barely has enough innings to qualify currently for the ERA leadership, so if you look tomorrow he will not appear there.

The Braves beat Ohtani last night, but he hit a homer against us tonight, a missile that barely got over the right field wall but left in a hurry. Kyle Wright won his 12th game, leading the NL. He's finally putting it all together this year.

I just saw this. At least you can watch all day Sunday, 24th. 🤷

https://www.mlb.com/news/watch-mlb-games-free-on-mlb-tv-july-20-24

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Washington Nationals trade Juan Soto and Josh Bell to San Diego Padres 

My home team has officially become a dumpster fire.  Just to think...won the World Series 3 years ago.

The Nats will still sell tickets because 1) folks have money and 2) they want to see the other team. 😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Dodgers were beneficiaries last year, getting Max Scherzer and Trea Turner; and Turner is still making a great contribution to LA this year. (Scherzer, of course, is helping the Mets, now.)

Now, it's the Padres' turn. Bobby must be very happy.

I'm sorry, Dave and ProfD. I hope the rebuild returns the Nats to their recent glory in short order.

Best,

Geoff

We lost a major baseball figure today:

Vin Scully, iconic former Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster, dies at age 94

He was the voice of the Dodgers, first in Brooklyn and then Los Angeles, for 67 years. He obviously lived a long life, but I'm sad to see him go.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Vin & Joe were the soundtrack of my Saturday afternoons growing up. Do they still play his voice pregame at Dodger Stadium? It was thrilling to hear, as a visitor on my last baseball trip to LA.

Simply the best baseball play-by-play voice in the history of the game. The voice of baseball. 

Here for the gear.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Geoff Grace said:

The Dodgers were beneficiaries last year, getting Max Scherzer and Trea Turner; and Turner is still making a great contribution to LA this year. (Scherzer, of course, is helping the Mets, now.)

Now, it's the Padres' turn. Bobby must be very happy.

I'm sorry, Dave and ProfD. I hope the rebuild returns the Nats to their recent glory in short order.

Best,

Geoff

It's incredible around here. I didn't go to the game tonight (absolutely wanted to but had to raise my family etc). But I'm playing tomorrow for Juan Soto's 2nd game. We are pinching ourselves. Strongest team we've seen.........ever? Once Tatis gets back in a week or so. Also we are heading up the 5 to Dodger Stadium this weekend. Should be a great contest. The Dodgers are just unbelievably stacked. But the Padres just gained some ground with an incredible trade deadline.

• Like 4

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native