Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Numa X Piano

6 hours ago, b3plyr said:

In some cases, a regular CPU is more appropriate, in others, dedicated DSP. I agree that all modern computers have more CPU power than any combination of DSP chips in hardware keyboard instruments deliver - in specific some cases. Yes, for the most cases the CPU (as you said the Kronos) can handle whatever you need. I never use anything but Mac hardware in my studio, and I run a large number of tracks and effects. But that doesn't mean there is more horsepower with the CPU. Granted, dedicated ALUs and GPUs have greatly enhanced the CPU for signal processing. But, there are applications where that is either not enough or the processing is not done at the same fidelity. Kurzweil, Studiologic, etc. use a lot of dedicated hardware and software for a reason. Kurzweil used to do standard custom chips, and now are doing their own Field Programable Gate Arrays (FPGS). Studio logic uses some dedicated hardware and DSP for the effects. Before I retired, I was involved in a number of signal processing projects, including audio. There were a number of cases where a straight CPU could not handle the load. In those cases we either used customs (and specific purpose) hardware and/or programmable DSP(s).

This is all not new to me and I agree some DSP chips do audio processing better than Intel, AMD or ARM CPUs.

I´m using a large DSP farm unit filled w/ 18 SHARCs,- but even these chips manage some tasks better than consumer electronic CPUs, they aren´t more powerful.

We measure the power of procs in CPU cycles,-and bigger SHARCs come w/ 333MHz while a common CPU offers 4GHz+.

It´s all theory anyway ...

6 hours ago, b3plyr said:

I totally agree with you on the sample libraries. If you want the largest, and most layers, currently the CPU base processors are the way to go. And as you would expect, that is because, in large part, they are designed to handle large amounts of memory.

When the main audio source in NUMA X is samples and "modelling" is kind of "attachment", the above rules !

But we don´t know what Studiologic is using for processing.

Would be interesting to know.

☺️

A.C.

• 3 weeks later...

Late joiner here, im currently considering upgrading to this piano. It seems like it has very good value-for-money, but im not able to try it out as I am in New Zealand where nobody is retailing it. So could anyone compare the sound of this to the Roland RD88, Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha P515 or Kurzweil SP6? I tried the RD88, and it felt ok, but perhaps a bit muddy in the AP sounds.

Cheers,

Dan

4 hours ago, MMG said:

Late joiner here, im currently considering upgrading to this piano. It seems like it has very good value-for-money, but im not able to try it out as I am in New Zealand where nobody is retailing it. So could anyone compare the sound of this to the Roland RD88, Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha P515 or Kurzweil SP6? I tried the RD88, and it felt ok, but perhaps a bit muddy in the AP sounds.

Cheers,

Dan

I own a X88. Love it!  Best keyboard action and great modeled piano samples. Plus extremely light weight and well built. . Hard to beat this price. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

For the price the Numa X piano is pretty good. I found it a bit lukewarm though, the piano sound was OK but nothing really exceptional. I replaced it with the more expensive CP88 and to me the Yamaha is a much better instrument in every respect, so the price premium is fully justified. But as I said for the price the Numa is a capable instrument.

• Like 1

I’m similar to Cybergene. I had a 73x for a month but didn’t like the pianos. I also couldn’t warm to the keybed. That being said there has been firmware updates lately dealing with velocity levels that could be a big improvement.

I found it’s layout very intuitive and it’s a very compact form factor. An awful lot going for it just not for me. See if you can find an online store with a good returns policy to try one out. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

One oddity specific to researching this keyboard has been the commitment to putting the Numa X PIano up against Yamahas and Nords that are significantly more expensive. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and I think it speaks in the Numa's favor! But comparing a Numa X Piano 73 to a Yamaha CP73 is almost literally the same in terms of price difference as weighing a Toyota Corolla against a BMW 3 Series. Very few people who own a Corolla are bummed they didn't decide to spend way more on a BMW - and every Corolla owner would be psyched that their twenty-something-thousand-dollar commuter car is being compared to a forty-something-thousand-dollar BMW sedan. Unfortunately, this is has led the a dearth of reviews that compare the Numa X Piano to its actual peers. The poster here is asking specifically about the models that - unlike the CPs and the Nords - are priced similarly to the Numa (Roland RD88, Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha P515, Kurzweil SP6, etc.) I, too, would love to hear these comparisons if anyone has that information!

I thought I'd offer up a few thoughts on my Numa X 73 that haven't been covered earlier in this thread, which is very focused on action and sounds. As a gigging keyboardist, the real value of this board is not so much those areas, though in my opinion the action is great (much better than, say, a Nord Electro HP 73, which costs literally three times more), and the new sounds they’re adding are sometimes better than the original set (see: 1914 August Förster piano).  The actual reason the Numa X 73 is ideal for gigging players is its usefulness as a Swiss Army knife type of tool. Crammed in the corner of a dingy bar stage with bandmates cranky about elbow room? The Numa X 73 is smaller (and lighter) than nearly any other 73-key model available. Need a specific sound for a one-off gig - or require a particularly good Wurly or grand piano for a certain solo performance? An iPad or tablet sheathed in a magnetic case sticks to the end of the Numa and, by simply plugging in one cable, adds that sound to the Numa X interface and makes it controllable to a much greater degree than the more costly CP73. Touring around with three stereo keyboards in a big funk and soul band (as I was this summer) to venues where the sound guy says, 'sorry, I've only got two mixer inputs for keys'? Just plug your two top boards into the Numa X 73, mix however you'd like through easy-to-access knobs - and send the sound guy your two stereo outputs. All of that is the real value of this board, which you can now often find B-stock for around $1,200ish.

For a sense of how I’m using it, see the pictures below of the rig I put together underneath two lightweight stands, with the Mojo 61 resting on top of Numa X 73 and a Reface CS sitting on the Mojo (an even better option I’m considering is velcroing a Roland A-49 on top of the Mojo and MIDIing it to either the Numa for synths or the Mojo for a dual-manual Hammond arrangement). This is the cheapest, lightest, most compact package I could think of for playing weighted keys, Hammond organ, and synth with the manuals that close together.

849024480_IMG_8880Medium.jpeg.abcd8f9c148cbcd932779bafd4752053.jpeg1268774757_IMG_8888Medium.jpeg.bbcd8277455f1d00abc65b5782425905.jpeg

Here are a few questions that I don’t think have been answered on this thread – maybe some folks will find these thoughts helpful:

Can the Numa X Piano be used as an interface connecting one MIDI sound source to another controller? For example, if I plug an iPad running Model D into the USB MIDI port, can I play it on a Roland A-49 controller connected to the Numa X Piano via the regular 5-pin MIDI while using the Numa keybed for piano?

As far as I can tell, the answer is basically, yes, at the moment you can more or less finagle this. And in the near future, it will be an easy no-brainer. By assigning zones, I’m able to play Rhodes on the Numa keybed while playing its synth tones on another board MIDIed up on top – though I could only get overall effects to work, not zone-specific ones. I’m no MIDI wiz, and I could be doing it wrong – others can chime in if I’m missing an easier way to make it happen within the current architecture of the board. But Studiologic says it is planning an upgrade that will allow this to be done via “MIDI merge.” This is what they sent me when I emailed asking the question: “What you describe could be done by using a MIDI Merge function, to merge MIDI data from/to MIDI connections or USB. We have that feature on other products like our SL MIDI Controllers and the NUMA Compacts. Actually is not yet implemented in the NXP, but is already mentioned on our Lab's wish list for future.”

What is the best gig bag for the Numa X Piano 73?

The three best gig bags for the Numa X Piano 73 have not been mentioned yet: the Gator Pro-Go 61 Slim (what I use after finding a refurb deal); the Fusion Keyboard 06 (recently back in stock, fits perfectly with their adjustable foam blocks); or the Soundwear Stagebag 61 (best option for the money). For the record, the Pro-Go 61 Slim is listed as too short for the Numa X, but it does fit. After some initial grunt work, the case adapts a bit and then becomes the perfect size - see picture below. To me, any case that doesn’t have backpack straps isn’t taking advantage of how light this keyboard is. When I bungee cord my K&M 18880 stand to the Pro-Go, I can walk to a piano gig fully equipped, with two hands free for whatever else I need. For those who were considering the regular Gator 61 Slim (not Pro-Go), I would buy the Stagebag 61 instead, as it has a shoulder strap and the Gator 61 inexplicably does not. And for those looking into hardshell cases for touring, I bought the Pelican V730 Tactical Rifle Case. It fits the Numa perfectly length- and width-wise. The height makes it a tight fit, but I removed a layer or two of foam and had no trouble on a weeklong van tour in August. You can find these in the $150-180 range on ebay or browsing B-stock listings online.

384698519_IMG_8878Medium.jpeg.d5ffcd4537ba70cb40fef8e2044d4c2d.jpeg

1547573824_ScreenShot2022-10-03at2_25_11PM.png.d85e662da6ef996f005a07eccf3803b8.png

Are the updates really that big an improvement?

In my opinion, yes. The “warm drive” effect can add a lot of tone to EPs and to synths. The 1914 August Förster they just added is my favorite choice for solo piano. And they’ve promised to add new upgrades like the MIDI merge function mentioned above.

Hope some of that is helpful to folks who are considering this board or already have one! I've had a good run with it the last few months.

• Like 12

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Between the great USB implementation, the very nice TP110 action and the onboard mixing feature, not to mention the very good onboard sounds I absolutely love my Numa X 73. I will choose it over my Nord Stage depending on the gig.  I can connect my iPad and pair the Numa X with my Mojo 61 and my rig is complete. No regrets about ditching my YC61 for the Numa X.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed response @Noah DC

For my personal use, I probably wont be using the mixer at all, and I would just use the Numa X standalone for gigging/practice, do you think it is the best option for that? I think it would be really great considering how easy it is to configure everything, I just wonder if I would get more value from a different board that didn't focus as much on the mixing aspect. Again that all boils down to which piano sounds the best. But as you mentioned, the fact that the Numa X is being compared to the likes of Nord and the CP88 is a good sign!

I wish there were more comparison videos on youtube, most of the current ones do similar comparisons to more expensive options

27 minutes ago, MMG said:

Thanks for the detailed response @Noah DC

For my personal use, I probably wont be using the mixer at all, and I would just use the Numa X standalone for gigging/practice, do you think it is the best option for that? I think it would be really great considering how easy it is to configure everything, I just wonder if I would get more value from a different board that didn't focus as much on the mixing aspect. Again that all boils down to which piano sounds the best. But as you mentioned, the fact that the Numa X is being compared to the likes of Nord and the CP88 is a good sign!

I wish there were more comparison videos on youtube, most of the current ones do similar comparisons to more expensive options

This may help you. I have a Nord Grand sitting here with my Numa Piano X. I rarely play the Nord, and will likely sell it. To me, the pianos are at least as good, if not better sounding. Same with the EPs. And you have just enough tweaking to suit me. The USB midi/interface is great. I plug my iPad in and both the Midi commands and audio from the iPad app are ready to go. Currently using B-3X on the iPad with the Numa X. Couldn't be simpler. 

As to cost, I think you get a bit more for your money since Fatar (makes the keybed) owns Studiologic. Just might cut the cost a bit if there is less or no overhead costs added to the keypads. 

BTW - I do use the mixer. I am in a duo and it supports two microphones. As mentioned, I use the USB for apps on the iPad. This is a great setup!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, Dave Ferris said:

I might consider the Numa X GT but it would be another leap of faith, although Sweetwater accepts returns. My smaller Nord dealer in Ct. did not on the NP5. But with the GT I'm back at the same weight as my Yamaha P-515, 48 lbs.. It looks like the GT is out stock or unavailable for awhile.

Currently my best 40-41 lb. option appears to be yet another CP88. But not sure I want to go there again for a third time.

You can buy a Numa X 88 for half the price and nearly half the weight.  I love mine. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Just a few pics to show how compact the Numa is (73), compared to the Legend 70’s that work out as a great stand 😄

Both play nicely, the Legend has more sounds and effects, the Numa have the great option to use the 4 extra inputs, and the TP110 is a bit snappier and a bit more dynamic than the TP100 in the Legend.

For gig, clearly the Numa. For home I prefer the Legend, it is like on a Hammond vs a clone, it feels more like an mechanical instrument.

They said size doesn’t matter ……

Both have nice AP’s , the EP’s is a bit weak on both. The pitch/modulation wheels, even if strange placed work fine on the Legend, it is a joke on the Numa.

And the Legend doesn’t have aftertouch.

F16B4DA4-347A-483B-9D72-A37A88B1A156.jpeg

760350B3-5C67-4041-8DB1-28B8C94A105E.jpeg

3D27D582-2E82-4FEE-B77F-F069421438A3.jpeg

• Like 4
/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

4 hours ago, bjosko said:

the EP’s is a bit weak on both

I remember that, on the original Numa Compact, I thought the Rhodes was actually quite nice, if I rolled off the treble. Unfortunately, there was no way to save that setting to have it instantly recallable. But since the Numa X has EQ available as an insert effect (and not only global EQ), that wouldn't be an issue. I haven't had a chance to play the X, but maybe this is worth trying.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.  After many years of not playing (after MANY years of playing a lot, before kids, wife, etc...) I am in the market for a new setup.  I've been doing a ridiculous amount of research into 88-note digital pianos.  My last keyboard was a Yamaha S90 which I loved and regret selling.  While I did love the sounds and even the feel, it was technically complex and I never got very deep into the menus at all.  I'm thinking the path in my second music life might be the Numa X Piano GT for the feel and the APs, EPs, etc., and then a 61-note MODX-type keyboard for more fun stuff.  I'm a piano player at heart, but when messing around for fun, I do love all the whacky sounds and arpeggio stuff on modern synths.  I really like idea behind the sound-in feature of the Numa, integrating another board into its interface.  Could I really get away with not having a mixer?  And I love the simplicity of the Numa interface.  While I'm perfectly fine with technology, I just never could get into the deep menu diving of some keyboards.  I have yet to try one of these Numas as none seem to be local for demos in Boston, so I have no idea about the feel.  But it's hard to imagine I wouldn't like the GT based on what I have read.  Thinking of maybe buying from Guitar Center online and can return to a store near me if necessary.   Any advice would be appreciated, for someone who has not looked into this stuff since 2005!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danskeys said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.  After many years of not playing (after MANY years of playing a lot, before kids, wife, etc...) I am in the market for a new setup.  I've been doing a ridiculous amount of research into 88-note digital pianos.  My last keyboard was a Yamaha S90 which I loved and regret selling.  While I did love the sounds and even the feel, it was technically complex and I never got very deep into the menus at all.  I'm thinking the path in my second music life might be the Numa X Piano GT for the feel and the APs, EPs, etc., and then a 61-note MODX-type keyboard for more fun stuff.  I'm a piano player at heart, but when messing around for fun, I do love all the whacky sounds and arpeggio stuff on modern synths.  I really like idea behind the sound-in feature of the Numa, integrating another board into its interface.  Could I really get away with not having a mixer?  And I love the simplicity of the Numa interface.  While I'm perfectly fine with technology, I just never could get into the deep menu diving of some keyboards.  I have yet to try one of these Numas as none seem to be local for demos in Boston, so I have no idea about the feel.  But it's hard to imagine I wouldn't like the GT based on what I have read.  Thinking of maybe buying from Guitar Center online and can return to a store near me if necessary.   Any advice would be appreciated, for someone who has not looked into this stuff since 2005!

Welcome!

The good news IMHO this is one of the best designed interfaces I've ever seen.  I had a busy month with other gear and got away from the Numa for few weeks. The night before a show: I programmed 15 presets -  some with intricate splits and layers, upgraded  firmware, loaded the new piano,  and then used their librarian to organize and rename patches.  It only took about 5 minutes to reacquaint myself with the UI.  (e.g. I had forgotten how to turn down the pedal noise...)

The little card they include explains the hierarchy perfectly, and you don't need to go very deep to get the essentials you'd need.  The color coding keeps you on point.   The split/ layer editing is wonderful- coming from Nord, or my Kurzweil days, it's a walk in the park to do complex splits and layers.        I'm using the mixer for the first time myself this weekend, so can't attest to  combat use -but many folks here have had mostly  positive experience with it-and I'm sure they can weigh in.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I bought the Numa X Piano GT, sight unseen.  I have an old Kurzweil PC2R (with the awesome orchestral expansion module) that I'll control from, and route through, the GT.  The PC2R is old, but has some great sounds.  Found a pair of used Mackie HR824s that I'll pick up for monitors.  Looking forward to hearing all of this.  Will let you all know what I think.  The GT is backordered but they say I should have it within a couple of weeks.

46 minutes ago, danskeys said:

I bought the Numa X Piano GT, sight unseen.  I have an old Kurzweil PC2R (with the awesome orchestral expansion module) that I'll control from, and route through, the GT.  The PC2R is old, but has some great sounds.  Found a pair of used Mackie HR824s that I'll pick up for monitors.  Looking forward to hearing all of this.  Will let you all know what I think.  The GT is backordered but they say I should have it within a couple of weeks.

You won’t regret your decision. 

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

Where ? Sweetwater ? I'd have to play it and have a return option.

Dave, try Alto Music. At last look they had it in stock. I just bought the GT from them - great service. The action, to me, is great! FYI I have the Numa X 88 and Numa X GT. The GT is in my studio and the other is my gigging board. I really like this board. And as I said before, I also have a Nord Grand. I actually like the action on the Numa X GT better. 

5 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

I owned the regular Numa X (not GT) for a while. Replaced it with a CP88 that is better in every regard. Knowing how you are really picky about pianos and return them often and how you like the CP88 and P515 (and we both own an AvantGrand that we apparently like, you the N3X and me the N1X, basically the same action) I highly doubt you’d love the Numa X GT, despite it having better action than the regular Numa. But I’d be really interested in hearing your opinion. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I owned the regular Numa X (not GT) for a while. Replaced it with a CP88 that is better in every regard. Knowing how you are really picky about pianos and return them often and how you like the CP88 and P515 (and we both own an AvantGrand that we apparently like, you the N3X and me the N1X, basically the same action) I highly doubt you’d love the Numa X GT, despite it having better action than the regular Numa. But I’d be really interested in hearing your opinion. 

Did you have the 2.0 firmware upgrade? It made a world of difference on both my 88 and GT in terms of sound and keyboard response.

32 minutes ago, b3plyr said:

Did you have the 2.0 firmware upgrade? It made a world of difference on both my 88 and GT in terms of sound and keyboard response.

No, that firmware was released just a week or so after I returned the board. Besides the touch response that was not very optimal, I also didn't quite like the piano sounds which all had some synthetic character to them. But it could have been caused by the sub-optimal touch response at the time. I'll be interested in testing again the Numa with the latest firmware, it was a nice board for the price. Another "issue" I had with it was the interface. It was not bad at all but I really can't understand all the praises it gets. There were some inconsistencies I described earlier in this thread (don't remember already the details) and on paper it looked great but in reality I had to stop for a while and think which knob to push, tilt or turn... When I finally replaced it with the CP88 I was relieved with an interface that is IMO more intuitive and easy to use but I guess these are different type of boards where the CP is like a Nord with a button/knob for every function, whereas the Numa tries to find an intuitive UI with a small number of controls, so it's still a pretty good achievement what they did.

OK, I went back to the demo page and I think I remembered what I didn't like in the piano sounds:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_x_piano/sounds/

Listen to the first repeated note in the Model D 1968 demo but also listen to the first few measures from the new library A. Förster demo. When playing softly in the tenor and bass range there's an extreme dullness, lack of clarity, almost like a synth or a harp, no bright overtones, as though the piano is covered in blankets and is recorded from the other part of the room. I discovered that all the piano models exhibited that quality. Once I started playing stronger and higher up the keyboard, I enjoyed it a lot, but then I'm mostly a classical pianist and tend to have a very subtle and soft touch.

16 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

(Apologies if this is a duplicate post.  I tried replying from my phone but it seems to be lost in the ether.) I bought my GT from Guitar Center.  Since I'm trading in a Yamaha Arius YDP-V240, I'll get an additional 10% off the Numa.  And if I don't like it, I can return to a local store for no charge.  Seems like a relatively safe way to buy sight unseen.  A bit off topic, but anyone have any thoughts on getting a pair of Mackie HR824 (first generation) as amplification for the Numa for the pretty inexpensive price of $500?  I used to own those back in the day and they sounded good to me.  Any other monitors to consider?

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

OK, I went back to the demo page and I think I remembered what I didn't like in the piano sounds:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_x_piano/sounds/

Listen to the first repeated note in the Model D 1968 demo but also listen to the first few measures from the new library A. Förster demo. When playing softly in the tenor and bass range there's an extreme dullness, lack of clarity, almost like a synth or a harp, no bright overtones, as though the piano is covered in blankets and is recorded from the other part of the room. I discovered that all the piano models exhibited that quality. Once I started playing stronger and higher up the keyboard, I enjoyed it a lot, but then I'm mostly a classical pianist and tend to have a very subtle and soft touch.

Good and useful comments for those considering the Numa X.

I don't want to seem a fanboy on this but as I said before, the 2.0 firmware made a huge difference. The Foster demo should have had the update, but who knows? Really, anyone interested in the board needs to try it. And as much as I like my Numa X 88, the GT is a big difference in playability.l

• Like 2

Finally I´ve got my Numa X 73!

I´ve taken me two weeks to get used to its sound with a quite a bit of tweaking. Now I really like it.

I am not a pro pianist but I have many years of playing. Not too often on real acoustic pianos and on these few occasions on vertical ones. So, I cannot say if the default GerGrand sounds like a Steinway.That said, I have sent some recordings to my brother that actually plays acoustic pianos regularly and he really likes the sounds, particularly the tweaked ones. I am attaching some setting pictures. Also some .aac audio file, as I said, i am not a pro pianist.

My piano came with the 2.0 firmware from factory but not the new user sounds like the A.Forster1914. Which, by the way, it is a good addition.

Coming from Pianoteq at first I was not too impressed by the Numa X. It sounded dull and kind of plastic, artificial. But then I understood that the default piano sounds are just that, very bare ones. I had to play a bit with them. Pianoteq, in the other hand, has lots of presets. I think this is the same with some other digital pianos which presets have been already tweaked from factory. For some reason studiologic gives you a quite crude ones for piano sounds. But makes sense, every setting can be modified to an extend that some others cannot.

Eventually, after a few days playing the Numa X I play it side by side with the Pianoteq VST. Well, at this point the Pianoteq presets I used to love sounded way too bright. So, I made further adjustments to the Numa X to get something close but not that strident.

So, at the end, I guess it is about getting accustomed to the new piano sounds. It  happened the same to me when I moved from Yamaha into Pianoteq. There is not an unique piano sound. And this is even more true on Pop/Rock music, particularly recorded music, in which the instruments sounds are equalized and processed to give space to each other.

Right now, after some initial denial, I am very happy with my Numa X and all the possibilities it offers.

numax01.jpg

GerGrand05reverb.jpg

GerGrand04 delay.jpg

GerGrand02fxa.jpg

GerGrand03fxb.jpg

GerGrand01Controls.jpg

AUD-20221101-WA0011.aac

• Like 1

RE: the sound.  Modartt Pianoteq user since 1.0-  What I've learned about modeled pianos (Like the Numa)  is you get incredible playability, but of course sacrifice realism because it's generated, and not a sample.   When I first played the Numa, it very much reminded me of that  (earlier) Pianoteq type sound.    I also use and love Noir and other sampled pianos, but use  Pianoteq7  about 70% in the studio.

Be sure to check the default master EQ.  Not sure if the 2.0 comes the same way, but my Numa came with the Midrange jacked up- which of course is where things can get metallic.  I pulled the master mids back a bit.    As I do with Pianoteq, I tend to roll off the top end on the individual  piano patch zone to warm things up a bit too. Unless it's Rock band setting, I favor longer reverbs rather than short rooms to smooth things out. 

And turn down the pedal noise- also not sure if 2.0 fixed this- but it's comically loud on all the pianos (EP's etc. )

Is there a way to share patches/presets  here? I've done some tweaking to that Foster as my go-to solo piano sound- and happy to share. 

I'm using the Vintage and Yamaha as my group pianos also with tweaking. 

After updating firmware, I'm positively loving the onboard mixer.  Been prepping for an upcoming vocalist & piano wine bar gig Friday.   I assigned that programable knob to external input level.   Using  Ipad for some light drums loops via soft drummer.  Loved being able to control (or mute) the Ipad  from that knob.  So easy to pop into the mixer for tweaks  too.   I'm seriously considering  also running the singer into the Numa to get some delay/reverb;  since we use my Bose compact which has no FX on the XLR channel.  Would love to hear anyone's experiences doing vocals into the Numa. 

I'm primarily a pianist,  and practice on a real piano.  Most of what I do in context is ensemble oriented.      I've not used the Numa on any solo gigs yet- but I will.

Of course I'd always prefer the real thing.  My solo gigs are typical cocktail jazz-pop, ceremony, etc. 

After just booking some upcoming solo corporate Christmas gigs with crappy load-ins,  I'm looking forward to using the Numa.  Even with 73 keys.  Versus using my Yamaha 88 slab piano - it's been a joy not having to use freight elevators and loading docks, and going through the front door of Hotels and Event places- just like my vocalists and horn guys do. :) 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, obxa said:

After updating firmware, I'm positively loving the onboard mixer.  Been prepping for an upcoming vocalist & piano wine bar gig Friday.   I assigned that programable knob to external input level.   Using  Ipad for some light drums loops via soft drummer.  Loved being able to control (or mute) the Ipad  from that knob.  So easy to pop into the mixer for tweaks  too.   I'm seriously considering  also running the singer into the Numa to get some delay/reverb;  since we use my Bose compact which has no FX on the XLR channel.  Would love to hear anyone's experiences doing vocals into the Numa. 

I use my Numa X in a duo. We use the audio mixer for my vocalist and my harmonies. Works great, and I no longer take a mixer. I also use the USB for iPad apps - control and actual audio. We use one dynamic mic and a condenser. Of course the condenser needs 48 volts, and I wish that capability existed with the Numa X. The fix is easily, though. Just get a battery powered in-line 48 volt adapter. Here is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H24SBMS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

The master effects are great for vocals, and you also have individual EQ for each analog audio in. My setup is really simplified now. Good luck!

• Thanks 1