Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carry-On 88-Key Folding Piano

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to practice while traveling, or have something for a family member to start to learn piano on that takes up no space when you're not using it, or are jealous of the guitar players who can bring their instruments to a picnic for a singalong, well, it looks a whole lot better than the things that roll up!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

http://onestringisenough.com/img/fender.jpg

Did a little research. There's so many ways to make something cheaper and more portable.

I bet you can get a one-string guitar pretty cheap. Solves a lot of problems; no intonation issues, no crazy chords to fret, cheaper to replace strings, can learn to play it 6 times faster and easier.

Downside though is it will be tough to play jazz voicings. YMMV.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

If you want to practice while traveling, or have something for a family member to start to learn piano on that takes up no space when you're not using it, or are jealous of the guitar players who can bring their instruments to a picnic for a singalong, well, it looks a whole lot better than the things that roll up!

Agreed, and good to hear. Sure beats the several minutes of life I won't get back after wading through this flaming scheissestorm... :pop:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

@Dave Bryce

You may have been fortunate enough to have not read this thread, but I suspect not....

I have discovered that my login still works, unfortunately.

Please be kind enough to do as I asked above, and disable/delete or whatever my login, lest I be foolish enough to be tempted to post on this board again.

Thanks.

I thought there was a private message function for communications of this nature, but I digress...

Buh Bye, I guess?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I looked into the Piano de Voyage. Pre-covid, I was ALWAYS on the lookout for a portable controller for flight gigs. Now, that's not so much of an issue, but eventually it may be again. I did some digging, and it seems it's gotten into the hands of some individuals. However, their website doesn't look like it was updated for a while, and still talks about "pre-orders". There's a review of someone who received there's. Seems like it's pretty serviceable, although the software/firmware seems to be a bit dodgy still.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

(btw- there is a mint one currently for sale on Reverb)

I searched Reverb and one came up in Victoria... is that the one? If not for COVID I'd go over there myself and try it out. I've always been interested in VAX77, even though they're way beyond my price justification.

Here for the gear.

So you"re saying you think these foldable keyboards are pretty good?

Mine is, but it was a wee bit expensive and now no longer available:

Infinite-Response-VAX77-the-Fold-Carry-Keyboard-2.jpg

I played this one at NAMM. The exhibitors were very nice guys. It was hooked up to MainStage.

Needless to say - not poop. As controllers go, excellent. Highly expressive and capable action. Folding mechanism very well thought out. I"d have snatched one up, but not in my budget.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I searched Reverb and one came up in Victoria... is that the one? If not for COVID I'd go over there myself and try it out. I've always been interested in VAX77, even though they're way beyond my price justification.

That's the one. It is a latest version, and appears to be in mint condition. I think he wants $4000US for it; new they went for $3500 right before they were discontinued. I actually wish they had built a non-folding version with more economical materials.

My inner mechanic just doesn"t trust the folding keyboard design. Even the well-built VAX 77 makes me cringe when I think about what 'could' go wrong in transit or during a gig.
The VAX77 was designed by engineers, it's pretty solid. Eddie Jobson toured with four of them for literally years without any problems.

Eddie Jobson toured with four of them for literally years without any problems.

IIRC, he used two on stage, which means the other two were spares. So the question might be, how often (if ever) did he have to engage one of the spares?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My inner mechanic just doesn"t trust the folding keyboard design. Even the well-built VAX 77 makes me cringe when I think about what 'could' go wrong in transit or during a gig. I still prefer a one piece slab design - preferably with a roadworthy case and built-in key cover.
tbh in a 7x-key format I don't need folding. The rest of the VAX 77 was ergonomically perfect - A-C span (plus a D key for octave shift!), flat top for stacking (front edge of) upper-tier etc.

Cheers, Mike.

tbh in a 7x-key format I don't need folding.

It's a niche, but I see the appeal to people with small cars, or who get to their gigs via public transit, or fly, or have tight living quarters...

Small cars for sure, and airplanes. Honestly, the reduced length for travel is welcome with their rolling bag even at 76k. But they really went high end on the design and build and it put it out of the price range of a lot of people to give it consideration. The folding mechanism was very well designed. You really couldn't tell once assembled that it was a folding action. Integration with MainStage was also a goal - one of the first boards to really get into doing that seriously. I wouldn't turn one away if it appeared at the pawn shop for a reasonable price.

I found the VAX disappointing because the edges of the keys were so sharp, it was downright painful for organ. I actually had the opportunity to mention this to Eddie Jobson, and he answered that he had filed down the edges on his.

I found the VAX disappointing because the edges of the keys were so sharp, it was downright painful for organ. I actually had the opportunity to mention this to Eddie Jobson, and he answered that he had filed down the edges on his.

That is true. The action was fast and tracked velocity well. Compromise feel for piano/organ but edges too sharp for palming.

I see the appeal to people with small cars, or who get to their gigs via public transit, or fly, or have tight living quarters...

I will agree with you on "Fly". However...

I have a small car, and my 76+73 rig gets in the boot/trunk, without using the back seat. In my experience, the move from 76 to 88 is what forces a bigger car. Public transport is a weight challenge than size (my featherweight Yamaha NP31 is a breeze on public transport, despite being as long as an 88). A folding board in tight living quarters takes up exactly as much room when unfolded as a non-folding board, plus you need "swing space" to fold/unfold. (I guess if you're simply going to store it, not play it, at home, you have a point).

Small cars for sure, and airplanes. Honestly, the reduced length for travel is welcome with their rolling bag even at 76k.

I guess I can see that. A squat bag the size of a carry-on suitcase may be less unwieldy - provided the weight is right.

Cheers, Mike

I have a small car, and my 76+73 rig gets in the boot/trunk, without using the back seat. In my experience, the move from 76 to 88 is what forces a bigger car. Public transport is a weight challenge than size (my featherweight Yamaha NP31 is a breeze on public transport, despite being as long as an 88). A folding board in tight living quarters takes up exactly as much room when unfolded as a non-folding board, plus you need "swing space" to fold/unfold. (I guess if you're simply going to store it, not play it, at home, you have a point).

Not every small car is the same. A VAX77 unfolded might be tough to get into a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500, especially depending on what (and who) else needs to be in the car with you. Other countries have cars that are even smaller. Also, the VAX77 is bigger overall than an NP31, and its weight would make it harder to easily maneiver it compared to the ease of maneuvering an NP31.

Public transport (which also often involves stairs/escalators and walking, with additional gear besides the keyboard) is complicated by both things... weight as well as overall size that can make a given weight more unwieldy.

Someone may want to set up the board for his music work, but tuck it away somehere when not in use. Depending on the particulars of the space, it may be easier to find a spot to store a short squat piece than something twice the length, in terms of, for example, what might fit on the top shelf or floor of a closet, as an example.