Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

I was favorably impressed with all of Vol. 1, period. This is lengthy, but all the same... .

Waltz for Karen - Al Quinn.

Romantic, yet w/an assured touch I was never quite able to manage. Enjoyably reflective & well mic'd. Lucky wife!

Some Other Time - Brad Kaenel

Heh, Vince Guarauldi meets Oregon! Those woodwind aspects are embouchure heaven. Very nice guitar segments as well. Blurs the line a bit, nicely, making me wonder if that's a real guitarist or a Motif being played skillfully.

Floating On Heaven - Craig Anderton

Wow, that's not a shy song opening by a mile! Roarin' lead guitar work. Great portamentos & vocoder to spare. I enjoyed the nature of your changes. They flowed well, but I also couldn't predict them past a minimal point, which I like. Pure fun on a stick.

Worlds Apart - David Bryce

What a great, cohesive band sound. The vocals are right in the pocket. The song has an 80s anthem feel without being too derivative, so the energy works. I had to sit in mid-audience mentally & drink in the mix a couple of times. Very full.

Drunken Angel - David Emm

Craig Anderton once said "Always apologize for any perceived lacks before you play it, never after." Too late! I have String Envy, so the guitar is a bit pushy, but I was busy enjoying the feeling of Big Balls⢠as it developed. I do start from scratch part of the time, but I also enjoy running with an inspiring loop, as in this case.

Archaic Faces - David Holloway

Fascinating carnival arcade opening, blending right into that elegant sequence. Reminds me a bit of an amped-up early Mark Isham piece, where pads are always offset by melodic weirdness. I applaud your Sense of Synth.

7 Clear Sky - drawback

Great rockin' thing going on here, with enviable guitar work, like Dixie Dregs slowed down by a margin. Kudos for the meaty EP section. Now that's a "drop!"

8 La Bellaza Que Se Va - Jazzoo

I'd love sitting right in the club to hear this. That's where the mix puts you. Very smoky & intimate. Great brief transitional up-tick at 2:45 or so. Breathes well overall.

9 Virtual Blues - lightbg

That's some memorable B-3 fun! Very lively, assured playing. Love the almost band-passed horns, especially where they first entered.

10 Dream Travel - marino

Love your round Moog-y lead touch, just the right amount of squirty attack. I feel a touch of Corea in it, which is refreshing. I had to re-listen a bit to follow the road you took, which is an added gold star.

11 Tobacco Road - Mark Schmeider

That's a powerful upright presence. Who played the brass, if it wasn't you?? Flute too. Great embouchure, either way. I can hear some sort of non-sci-fi soundtrack in here... Cohen meets Tarantino.

12 The Flowers - miden

Shades of Anthony Phillips! That's a great lift @ the 1:00 point. Especially nice care was taken with the string articulation. Good rosin!

13 December - Mike Boguski

That's ECM-worthy. Not said lightly. Sounds like several bands I like, but I couldn't be specific. Just sounds like Mike to me. Notable take-off @ 3:17. Nice little synth bits in the background beginning @ 4:30.

14 Night Owl 1971 - Polychrest

Lively rocker! Traditional, but not in an antique sense by a mile. You could think it was a bit of a stylistic homage, but after a couple of listens, its personality steps out.

15 Thin White Line - Sam Mullins

Way to work a Hammond! That's an outstanding song as well. Powerful, with a hefty dose of Ouch! Well-structured across the board.

16 Thaw - Samuel B. Lupowitz

This was especially enjoyable because of the killer arrangement. It reminded me of Steve Vai going at a rocker full-blast & stopping for some incredibly delicate interlude. Tight playing and a half. Nice proggy moment @ 4:30 or so & superior closing piano work.

17 Maddy Gray - Scott Gould

Vaguely XTC-like in a positive way. This is also just a breath away from early Pink Floyd songs like "Free Four". A classy B-side that slowly turns into an A-side.

18 When the Earth Was Flat - Stevie b

Very enjoyable ballad reminiscent of artists such as David Bromberg, who always had a couple of rather funny songs that balanced out the serious pieces. Tasty musicianship. I'd see you guys live more than once, no question.

19 A Reasonably Difficult Ballad - thatdude

I was wondering if anyone would go full solo piano. Lovely, like Bill Evans veered away from standards a bit & slid towards ECM atmospheric territory. Well-recorded, too; I can feel the instrument speaking in a full manner.

20 Blues Command - Theo Vereist

That was about as unsettling as reading his posts, heh, but there's no question that the playing was quite good! I got a pleasant whiff of Mort Garson from this one. An entertaining closer for the album!

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

"Humping Sexpot Jubilee" received from David Emm and posted.

dB

That's sexBot. Sexpot is too 70s James Bond-ish now. :/:laugh:

This began as a shameful desire to blend two semi-related items: the stop-motion "Robot Chicken" character "The Humping Robot," whose thing is mechanically humping large appliances (I know, its a living pun); and "If I Only Had A Brain" from "The Wizard of Oz." I heard a common kinship between them, which seems very American, somehow. I had to tweak it because lawyers. Its an unapologetic synthesizer farce for the fun of running through a series of amusing patches like a dog in a sausage factory. Its a modern spin on Jean-Jacques Perrey-ism, minus tape splicing blocks. I enjoy more somber things, but there's always going to be a clear place for the comedic when a resonant Moog patch is a person's best hope for finding the elusive Brown Note.

Logic Pro & effects. Korg TR61 loop, G-Media Mellotron & Logic choirs, Speak & Spell/Korg Monotron break, Logic tubular bells, E-mu Planet Phatt 'Moog', Korg Legacy MonoPoly leads, Kitchen Sink percussion (Soundfont) & some pad source that escapes me.

~ "King of the Hill"

Great reviews, David. Everything is 100% fake in my postings so far, due to quarantine. :-) But that's not to say that there was no human element involved. Click to see the sound sources and the use of the Yamaha WX5 MIDI Wind Controller for the trumpet parts (and some of the flute parts, but not the one just now posted to Volume 2).

I am in awe of the work of everyone involved, and as the overwhelming majority of the contributions are live vs. MIDI or other types of overdubs, it is a bit bittersweet at the same time, as it makes me long even more for the quarantine to end so we can get back to gigging, rehearsing, and doing studio sessions with friends and strangers alike. Nothing can ever really compete with several musicians playing together live.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

David Eâ Thanks for your comments about the mix on my track. It"s just the way I prefer to hear music, like you"re in the middle of it all. I hear other mixing techniques and I really admire them but when it comes to my own stuff, I guess I am more for realism or at least the perception of it.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

David Eâ Thanks for your comments about the mix on my track. It"s just the way I prefer to hear music, like you"re in the middle of it all. I hear other mixing techniques and I really admire them but when it comes to my own stuff, I guess I am more for realism or at least the perception of it.

Yes thanks so much David E! I'll take a Mark Isham comparison anyway :D

Also for other contributors, on page 5 of this thread is my feedback on each track :thu:

My track is in progress. Tracking is finished, needs a few more hours of mixing etc. Not a Windows guy for music so this is a challenge, particularly since almost none of my recording equipment works with Windows.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Miden, that's a beautiful song (as are all of the submissions), but I'm curious whether this Australian meaning of "Black Dog" is nevertheless derived from the ghost of British folklore fame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_%28ghost%29

Either way, the song conjures up both images and moods. Well done!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Feeling nostalgic and I decided to submit an older track this time around, from my first solo record that I put out in 2012. Another rocker in G with time signature changes... I'll have to shake it up a bit next time. :) I appreciate all the kind words about "Thaw" from the last comp, so hopefully you all dig this one too. I made sure to keep it under 5 minutes this time.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Miden, that's a beautiful song (as are all of the submissions), but I'm curious whether this Australian meaning of "Black Dog" is nevertheless derived from the ghost of British folklore fame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_%28ghost%29

Either way, the song conjures up both images and moods. Well done!

Hi Mark...not sure of the origins to be honest, but IIRC, I think Winston Churchill used it to describe his depression. Not sure where he got it from though. We (particularly males) in Oz have sorta adopted it as our slang as well.

Thank you so much for the kind words for the music, much appreciated.

Dennis

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Am I wrong or is there a lull in the interest for the second "CD"? Come on guys, your eternal fame at Keyboard Corner is at stake here, and you're not even obliged to use only keyboards!

Nice songs, mostly, thus far. I didn't get it whether the upload-in-CD-Q is possibly followed by a uncompressed download, which might be interesting. I know I somewhat prepare for audio compression with my studio methods, but it's pretty hard to get digital sound right, and the advantage of making explicit CD files is that at least you know you play back bit-for-bit what the maker of the file created! It ought to be possible to (temporarily) find a way for the part takers and I suppose other interested parties to download the actual master files ?

T.

Feeling nostalgic and I decided to submit an older track this time around, from my first solo record that I put out in 2012. Another rocker in G with time signature changes...

Sam - did you get my email? Your server wouldn't let me in. Please resend with DropBox/WeTransfer/etc.

Am I wrong or is there a lull in the interest for the second "CD"? Come on guys, your eternal fame at Keyboard Corner is at stake here, and you're not even obliged to use only keyboards!

What's your rush, big guy? The record company will wait. :D

I didn't get it whether the upload-in-CD-Q is possibly followed by a uncompressed download, which might be interesting. I know I somewhat prepare for audio compression with my studio methods, but it's pretty hard to get digital sound right, and the advantage of making explicit CD files is that at least you know you play back bit-for-bit what the maker of the file created! It ought to be possible to (temporarily) find a way for the part takers and I suppose other interested parties to download the actual master files ?

I would think there would be legal implications to a page with my name on it allowing free full res downloads of other people's material. I'd prefer not to deal with that sort of thing. :hand::hider:

The reason I chose Sound Cloud is that they allow full res files for upload and playback. Not sure how much better we can do than that. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hey, Mistah Bryce! Vol. 2 was at 50% by last reckoning. How's it looking now? Should those of us who answered the call send a 2nd piece to fill it up? Bet we shouldn't! :laugh:

I've been enjoying it all so far, but I don't want to post a total review while its still percolating.

~ "King of the Hill"

Haha, I've been waiting patiently for it to fill up so I can contribute something to volume 3. :-)

This is taking so long, that now I'm going to keep reversing myself on what to use as my next submission. :-)

Hey, Mistah Bryce! Vol. 2 was at 50% by last reckoning. How's it looking now? Should those of us who answered the call send a 2nd piece to fill it up? Bet we shouldn't! :laugh:

You'd be correct.

The main reason I started Volume 2 so quickly is because Volume 1 filled up so fast that several people who had declared that they were doing tunes didn't get in (remember, I had originally set a deadline of the end of April not knowing how fast V1 would fill up). Volume 2 is here mainly for those folks who did not get on Volume 1.

As far as I can tell, there's no rush to fill up Volume 2. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: