Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG SV2??

• 3 months later...

Was hoping for new colour options at Namm. An all black SV2s and I would be making a purchase.

Want the speaker version but dislike the cream colour. So, do I go with the all black SV2, the cream SV2s or wait some further for a new color option? 

I suppose I could get the all black SV2 and just get some top monitor speakers. However, I do like the vibration effect of the onboard speakers and the convenience.

Any SV2 owners out there? Which of the four model options did you buy and for what reason?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

- Yes  

- Black non-speaker 73 key version

- Meant to use also as the bottom board, speakers won't be useful 

- Portability, the lowest weight possible 

- Speaker version was much more expensive

- From demos it sounded good through my monitors I already had

- Real Rhodes doesn't have speakers either 

- I read somewhere (Facebook group?) that some speaker versions had some issues with vibrations/buzzing, later Korg offered "fix kit" like foam layers to install between some internal components or housing elements. 

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

• 1 year later...

I love my sv1 - but I NEED the bass split/layer option- I have to cover bass for most of my gigs (I work in a half dozen venues full time). Most of my gigs are pickup or subs 

and you can't expect a bass player to set in on a jazz/standard/show tune gig and then classic rock or a Doors tribute act without prep which generally there's no time for anyways - I don't mean to gripe but apart from that it works so well!! - especially the bass patch- I've started using a Krome for my right hand and using the sv-1 just for the bass-

15 hours ago, klash said:

I love my sv1 - but I NEED the bass split/layer option- I have to cover bass for most of my gigs...

The SV-1 has a couple presets that are bass/key splits. The downloaded preset file and editor provides access to the split/layer presets. 

15 hours ago, klash said:

I've started using a Krome for my right hand and using the sv-1 just for the bass-

Interesting.  I would use the Krome for LH bass sounds and MIDI'd to the SV for better splits/layers.  No SV editor required.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Korg have released new ‘pro’ stage pianos around 10 years apart(SV1 2009, SV2 2019), with the odd one being the Grandstage in 2017 (just before the SV2) and now the GS2 seven years later. Can’t see there being an SV update any time before 2029.

IMG_0233.jpeg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Ironically I'd like the cream color one but don't want to pay extra or have the weight of speakers that I won't use (much).

The main thing I dislike about this keyboard is the rounded shape--it's form over function and I'm a function guy :)   I'd trade "elegant curves" that nobody in the audience gives a hoot about for being able to confidently manhandle it and use a variety of bags/cases.   I do like the shallow depth and forward-facing controls that would let you bring any 2nd tier very low down without obscuring anything.    And it has a 73, my days of considering any 88 are over.

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Can’t see there being an SV update any time before 2029.

I'm not so sure there will be an SV-2 update or SV-3 as successor. 

I believe the next Korg flagship digital piano (DP) will be a combination of SV and GrandStage/Kronos sounds.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 minute ago, The Piano Man said:

I’m perplexed as to why people would pick an SV over the original Grandstage...

They sound different.  The SV sounds were done by Korg Italy.  The Grandstage sounds were derived from the Kronos.😎

• Like 3

PD

16 minutes ago, ProfD said:

They sound different.  The SV sounds were done by Korg Italy.  The Grandstage sounds were derived from the Kronos.😎

That is not what my GAS needed to hear. You mean I might be able to rationalise adding an SV2 73 to my Grandstage 88???

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

2 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

That is not what my GAS needed to hear. You mean I might be able to rationalise adding an SV2 73 to my Grandstage 88???

No need for two digital pianos in the same KB rig.😁😎

PD

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I’m perplexed as to why people would pick an SV over the original Grandstage, unless you simply prefer the look of the cabinet, or want built in speakers as with the 2s models 

Besides different sounds...

... tube

... more effects available for any given sound; more effects combinations available as well; and way more front panel control for these effects. (For the most part, GS instead makes a limited number of effects available as alternate presets.) This is described in a lot more detail in the last of the 4 quote responses at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/174976-new-korg-sv2/page/6/#comment-2824443

... ability to split/layer 3 sounds instead of 2 (though only if you're talking about the SV2, rather than the SV1)

There's also more detailed conversation about this at https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2987057/korg-stage.html

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I’m perplexed as to why people would pick an SV over the original Grandstage, unless you simply prefer the look of the cabinet, or want built in speakers as with the 2s models 

As someone who has the cream SV2, I can give you my opinion.

It's very natural for people to respond in varying ways to shape and color. Consider cars or guitars. The shape, color, aesthetics of guitars are very important to those who play them. (Also, women!)

It would make sense that keyboard instruments are similar. Some are just so good looking, they become inspiring. 

Ok, sure, maybe some folks are fine with a black slab.

So while I have a PC4 for splits, layers, and all the sophisticated stuff, when I just want to enjoy the experience, the SV2 is just a beautiful experience. So, yeah, I guess I like the look of the cabinet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

Anyway, the original GS is now discontinued, so at the 2k price point, there’s no other choice than the SV2 now.

Maybe there's no other Korg choice but definitely other DPs jn that price range. 

2 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

The GS X sells at higher price point, and also offers more features.

The GSX will appeal to pianists who like the Kronos sounds but may not need the bells and whistles of a workstation (Kronos/Nautilus).😎

PD

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

The GSX will appeal to pianists who like the Kronos sounds but may not need the bells and whistles of a workstation (Kronos/Nautilus).

Exactly my reason for picking up the Grandstage. Loved the sounds, and keybed, but as a DAW user, the workstation features were an expensive unwanted option.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5