Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What new toppings do you want to see on your hotdog?

Marzzz

As a native NYer, I grew up with hot deli mustard and sauerkraut; but after living in Chicago for 15 years, I now prefer a "Chicago Hotdog" with the works, including the sport peppers, pickle slice, spicy seasoned salt and radioactive relish (that glows in the dark).

Don't you dare mention ketchup, you animals!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Near me, until recently, was a place called "Bob's hot dogs", which dressed them in 50 different ways. Some of the condiments included pepperoni, pineapple, eggs, and for Elvis fans Peanut butter and Bananas. Sadly, it looks like they have closed down (not due to unpopularity, rather due to the proprietor's age and health).

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Hot dogs are one of my favorite foods, though I rarely eat them these days. I like the traditional things like relish, sauerkraut, spicy mustard, chili, chicago style for sure! NO KETCHUP!

There are a couple of hot dog spots we go to at the beach that do "island dogs" with sour cream, salsa or taco sauce and similar. I've had cole slaw and liked it. And more recently crushed pineapple and dijon mustard...which seems really weird, but it was not too bad.

Sometimes I just love a plain hot dog or one with just yellow mustard, to keep it simple.

Wow these threads are covering a lot of bases.

Loved the NYC Sabrett hotdog stands

But a protocol has been violated... no OT alert no OT alert

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNx-mAq0Hg [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNx-mAq0Hg

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Texas Tommy is a fave - Gulden's, cheese, bacon. Toasted bun, of course.

I also kinda dig wrapping them up in croissant dough and baking them.

I do dig the grill prep... but my favorite hot dog trick is to do the slow "ball game" boil, then - just before eating - throw away the water, put the hot dogs back in the same pan you boiled them in without washing the pan, add a pat of butter over low heat and slowly roll the hot dogs around in the butter until small blisters begin to appear.

:love:

...and nothing I have ever had beats a Hebrew National. :idk::hitt:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

...and nothing I have ever had beats a Hebrew National.

dB

Fortunately for my metabolism, kosher hot dogs are not widely available so I can't indulge too often... Love my Hebrew Nationals!

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

When I moved away from NY, I was surprised to see something called a "Coney" or "Coney Island." I never called them that when I lived back there. Then again, I never heard the word "bodega" until NYPD Blue came on the air, so what do I know? :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Usually get Nathan's or Heb National from local stores. Even Wal Mart has them; Costco too.

No Ketchup on dogs, just on burgers.

When I'm at Costco, at their food area, I buy a long Heb Natl dog (their only choice but good) with sauerkraut and Heb Natl deli mustard and onions and relish. I don't get on for the price, but this long delicious hot dog with a drink refillable costs $2.66 here including Virginia sales tax.

I read recently that Costco has never raised their food prices; sort of a pride thing for them. But, since the closest one to me is 35 miles away in Harrisonburg, Va. I don't go very often to eat hot dogs there. :)

my favorite hot dog trick is to do the slow "ball game" boil, then - just before eating - throw away the water, put the hot dogs back in the same pan you boiled them in without washing the pan, add a pat of butter over low heat and slowly roll the hot dogs around in the butter until small blisters begin to appear.

Ah, the cholesterol special. :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I dunno, call me a phillistine, but I think ketchup and mustard together work great on either a hamburger or a hot dog. I don't eat either sandwich very often, but I find that the respective bite and sweetness of the two condiments compliments and brings out the best in each other in those scenarios. (Lettuce, tomato, and onions too please, for a hamburger, or relish on a hot dog.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Chili and Vicodin.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

A great hot dog is like great pizza: If you begin with a quality dog, like quality crust and cheese, you don't need to smother it in crap. A Yocco's hot dog, from Allentown, PA, was very likely my first solid food. It began with a dog from local smoked meat provider Arbogast and Bastian (defunct). The dog was cooked on a roll griller. The buns were steamed. Into an "everything" bun went one light smear of brown mustard, a teaspoon of chopped onion, the dog, and about two tablespoons of their legendary chili sauce. Not thick chili--a thin sauce with miniscule chunks of ground beef and no beans. None of the condiments overshadowed the dog. Nor should they. Ever.

And as dogs and pizza are regional treasures not easily explained to outsiders, nobody I've ever taken to Yoccos feels the same way about them.

Loved the NYC Sabrett hotdog stands

But a protocol has been violated... no OT alert no OT alert

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNx-mAq0Hg [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNx-mAq0Hg

Marco: At what point does OT (Off Topic) become OT (On Topic)?

Polo: When Keyboard Corner becomes The-bored Corner?

Hotdog Toppings: Flash fry the dog in a hot skillet then bundle it up in a bun with Miracle Whip, but Miracle Whip from the 70's. They seem to have changed the recipe since then. I don't recommend this unless you can try it in 1975.

The way we do it down south, often called the Carolina way is topped with Mustard, Chilli, Slaw, and Onions. Now for the method of cooking, I prefer either a grilled or deep fried dog until they blister or blacken. As far as the actual dog, Carolina Packers makes a RED hotdog that is the favorite in our part of the world, but I also like Nathans.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Nathan's? Hebrew National? Yeah. Tried 'em, liked 'em, but then came Von Hanson's (to Arizona, that is - they were already in the Midwest) with their freshly made, natural casing (skin-on) hot dogs. Growing up in MN, we went to the butcher for our meat and Von Hanson's knows their stuff.

Shameless plug (but hilarious when you see the list): Into brats? Check out this list if you dare: http://www.vonhansonsmeats.net/sausage/

Back to the best dog on earth. After grilling a natural casing hot dog over a real fire and listening to the pops and sizzle as the meat swells and the skin loses it's integrity, take directly to the table and place in toasted bun, then add bacon and baked beans (my Grandmother's recipe). Prepare ye, oh taste buds and stomach, for ecstasy!

Disclaimer: While this is an epicurean delight while consuming it, you may wish to spend some time alone later when the natural biological activity eating baked beans entails takes place.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Nathan's? add bacon and baked beans (my Grandmother's recipe). Prepare ye, oh taste buds and stomach, for ecstasy!

Disclaimer: While this is an epicurean delight while consuming it, you may wish to spend some time alone later when the natural biological activity eating baked beans entails takes place.

Wait, are you saying, that beans are good for heart?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived