Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Consensus on table style stands

ksoper

After a career of x-brace stands (which have never given me a lick of trouble) I want to get a table style stand for the One. It's 42" wide, 20" deep and 45lbs. I don't own anything this girthy and I don't want to tempt the fates. Of the available stands from Quik Lok, Ultimate, and K&M, what's the consensus?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a big fan of K&M. Rock solid.

Another huge K&M fan here, albeit with a spider rather than a table stand. But would happily buy any options from them.

I had a table stand before of unremembered brand. I replaced it with this Gator Frameworks stand which I like a lot. Sturdy, heavy duty, adjustable, folds up for transport. I play standing up so I needed something that would be tall enough. But if I played sitting, I'd still like this stand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMUCRRQ/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I think the K&M 18950 is the stand I had before the Gator. Expensive, unstable, and it fell apart.

How is the Gator? Sure looks solid.

All table stands I researched in the past will not go low enough to be comparable to piano height, but that may not be important to you. It is to me and is why I use the WS-550, or the WS-540 if I want something smaller.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I had a table stand before of unremembered brand. I replaced it with this Gator Frameworks stand which I like a lot. Sturdy, heavy duty, adjustable, folds up for transport. I play standing up so I needed something that would be tall enough. But if I played sitting, I'd still like this stand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMUCRRQ/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using this for a few months now - sturdy/easy set-up/looks cool/lotsa room for pedals and feet.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

stand for the One.

My favorite is the K&M 18810 Omega. Totally stable and looks great.

I have two of these, one has stackers on it. Never any problems in the five years that I've been using them. Very solid, quick to assemble/break down. Highly recommended.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I have the OnStage - it has been quite stable. However, I haven't used it since getting a K&M 18880 - big difference in weight. (I also have the 18881 second tier, although it is not attached at the moment). For a single tier, I would expect that the 18810 would be very good, although I've never tried one, they seem to build good stuff.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I've got the Omega, and it's awesome/rock solid. My only complaints are:

1. It's heavy and a little awkward to carry.

2. I have a regular gig where my position often straddles an uneven lip that runs parallel to the keyboard. Those long feet make it hard to position in such a way that doesn't introduce tilt.

3. It's expensive.

I use it set up semi-permanently in my studio, but after gigging it a few times decided it was a little too bulky for me to bring in and out of tight gig spaces.

I've been looking at the Gator Frameworks table mentioned above as a possible new stand, but haven't quite felt the need to buy it yet.

I think the K&M 18950 is the stand I had before the Gator. Expensive, unstable, and it fell apart.

?!?!?!?

I can't imagine of any way to make the 18950 wobble a single millimiter.

Maybe running a bulldozer over it, but not sure.

I also have the Omega. It's also rock solid despite the single legs, has space for any pedalboard (like the 18950) and looks great. Only thing, it's cumbersome to set up-tear down. You have to unscrew some bars, and those pieces of metals are BIG.

If you have a big van where you can throw it assembled, or you're going to keep it in the studio, no issue at all.

45 lbs?!?!?!!!!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I would never recommend the Omega for a regular gigging keyboard player that had to transport and/or set up their own rig. Sorry, ain't nobody got time for that.

(Same with the QuikLok Monolith stand... ugh...)

Fantastic stand in the studio, or at a house gig, though.

The 18950 gets a vote for me, and I concur with everyone above that has expressed doubt of one ever "falling apart" except through complete misuse by the owner.

I've ordered a Gator Frameworks Heavy-duty Keyboard Table as discussed above, purely from a pricing standpoint. It's a solid piece of kit and packs up amazingly compact (and the built-in level is a great addition!).

The K&M 18880 is a great stand. I use it with the 18881 extension, and its been rock solid despite heavy bar band abuse - no durability issues whatsoever (so far).

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I'll just add that, while I do love the K&M 18810 Omega, I find myself leaving it home often and bringing another table stand, which is less sturdy but easier to fold. But if I need two keyboards, I always bring the 18810 and the attachment for second tier.

?!?!?!?

I can't imagine of any way to make the 18950 wobble a single millimiter.

Maybe running a bulldozer over it, but not sure.

This.

If ever there was a stand that epitomised the phrase "built like a tank" it's the 18950. I hear folks in the military actually prefer the phrase "built like a K&M 18950", such is the rigidity of this thing.

There's also the 18953, which is based on a similar design, but a little less deep. I gather the 18953 can also go a little lower than the 18950, but I have never seen one in person to verify this.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

With the Gator stand, do the legs sit at 90 degrees from the ground/board? The OnStage one I have is almost identical, except that the legs swing a bit further out, which helps prevent any tipping.
The legs of the Gator stand go further out than 90 degrees.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I also have the Omega. It's also rock solid despite the single legs, has space for any pedalboard (like the 18950) and looks great. Only thing, it's cumbersome to set up-tear down. You have to unscrew some bars, and those pieces of metals are BIG.

If you have a big van where you can throw it assembled, or you're going to keep it in the studio, no issue at all.

I think that you're doing it wrong! To break mine down, I slide out the two legs, turn them 90 degrees, and slide them back in again. This allows the stand to lie in the boot (trunk) of my medium sized car on top of all the other gear. Takes about 30 seconds!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I think that you're doing it wrong! To break mine down, I slide out the two legs, turn them 90 degrees, and slide them back in again. This allows the stand to lie in the boot (trunk) of my medium sized car on top of all the other gear. Takes about 30 seconds!

Yes I know, still the upper arms that support the keyboard have to be unscrewed /rescrewed removing and reassembling small parts that are easily lost. And still even if it finally folds flat, it's bigger than any other stand (actually, bigger than any other piece of equipment in my van, keyboard included!).

Again, it's not difficult and it doesn't take hours, but as part of a small and quick setup/teardown rig, it's less practical than most other stands.

One of the first things I did with the Omega is switch out the little knob and washers with knobs similar to these:

Replacement knobs

Note, these are not the correct size thread. I just went down and picked mine up from the hardware store.

They are larger and easer to hold/spin, making it easier to spin on and off, and eliminate the need for the washer that will surely get lost!

I am using OnStage platform stands they do the job. My only issue with the Omega is I don't see a way to add a second tier. The onstage stand has options for a second tier, mic or music stand and a laptop option. Not more than one of these though. Does the Gator have the ability to use these? Because the Gator does look more solid.

The OnStage I'm always afraid that if the legs aren't spread out as far as possible the thing will collapse. And I'm afraid someone bumping the side of it will make the other end fold and collapse.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived