Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you must gig with just one board...

AnotherScott

Are you speaking of going with Main Stage and a controller keyboard as the preferred travel option?

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you speaking of going with Main Stage and a controller keyboard as the preferred travel option?

No, the premise was traveling with no keyboard ("a board that: Is readily available at most destinations as a rental"). So then all you need to travel with is your laptop running Maintstage or whatever, and you can plug it into whatever.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would add a compact control surface, like a Korg nanokontrol 2, to that. Map your controls in advance to something you can bring along. Then you just need an 88 (or the size of your choice) with working wheels and a couple of pedal inputs. Mainstage is the best - but it wants you to do your due diligence ahead of time

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

One board, but I cheat a little bit.

My board is still a Roland RD300GX. After all these years.... killer Rhodes and still the Superior Grand acoustic sounds good.

My organ sound comes from the HX3 module. Easy to use with presets. Just about my favorite on board leslie sim.

So not quite " one board" but not bad....

Personally, I count it as one board if you can leave any other pieces velcro'd in place so you can still move it as one unit.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If I have to do a quick gig with one board, I'll use my Kurz SP4-7 if it's more AP/ EP focused. If more organ with a moderate amount of AP / EP is required, I'll use my NE 5d 73. If a heavily focus on organ is required, I'll use my Hammond Sk1 61.

I now tend to gig with small-footprint, lightweight boards due to a bad knee and the fact that most stages I play on as a weekend warrior are small and cramped.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I would add a compact control surface, like a Korg nanokontrol 2, to that. Map your controls in advance to something you can bring along. Then you just need an 88 (or the size of your choice) with working wheels and a couple of pedal inputs. Mainstage is the best - but it wants you to do your due diligence ahead of time

+1. This is what I did before I had status on United and could fly with my Roland A800. I still carry my NanoKontrol in case the Roland has issues. I agree with you 100% - who wants to have to program a rental keyboard's sliders, knobs & buttons before a show (assuming it even has the controls you require)? I also pack this along quick, easy, cheap and safe for any surface, it attaches the NanoKontrol on any keyboard:

mounting_putty.jpg

I gig with one board - NE 5D

I just add Mainstage (running on the same keyboard), when i need more options and i do splits, layers etc, depending on the group

Most of the times though, it's just the Electro. Easy to use, nice sounds, easy to transport in a crowdy city.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Lately all I have been hauling is my SP6. I've loaded it with a whole bunch of Forte SE and PC3 sounds and I tweaked a bunch of these in the editor. And I have several multis setup. So I have pretty much stopped taking my VR-09 for now.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I did a fill-in job Saturday with just my Kurzweil PC361. No back up. It worked well and covered the job. Monday I turned it on and nothing, just blue screen and no sound. It took about 10 times of turning it off and back on before it worked. It is still working fine but my VR-09 will be in the car from now on just in case.

• 1 month later...

Some updates...

...a mistake in the OP, Casio MZ-X300/MZ-X500 doesn't run on batteries.

...and a clarification, Artis 7 limitations on patch remain with organ sounds affects only switching *away* from an organ sound, not *to* one (as I recently mentioned in another thread)

Meanwhile, there's now a 76-key version of the Juno DS61 (15.25 lbs), which would have all the benefits of the DS61 plus the wider keyspan. So there's a nice 76 that's about half the price of the Artis 7, and 12 lbs lighter, too. Mostly what you lose is the clonewheel engine and a lot of MIDI functionality. Kurz also has advantages in patch selection, better facilities for 3 and 4 sound splits/layers (DS is really optimized for up to 2 sounds at a time), and probably better action.

I'm also looking forward to trying out the Yamaha MODX7 (16.3 lbs).

Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me. Back to just the Kronos. I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.

I'm late to this thread, so... TL;DR.

I just bought a MODX7, and that coupled with my iPad and Galileo 2, I'm covered for the pop gigs where I don't have the room or the need for the Mojo61 + Lower rig. Might just pick up a Crumar drawbar unit to use with Galileo to put the icing on the cake. ;)

Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me...I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.
As you probably know, you can use the trigger pads on the FA as a keypad, but it's not so practical because you probably want the pads available for other things. The DS has a better arrangement, you can quickly toggle the Favorite buttons to act as a keypad. But the DS is weak for organ. That would lead me back to the Artis 7 which has a decent drawbar organ with real-time drawbar control. It doesn't use a number pad, but you can have quick 2-button access to any of 256 favorite sounds/combinations, among other quick access sets.

I just bought a MODX7, and that coupled with my iPad and Galileo 2, I'm covered for the pop gigs where I don't have the room or the need for the Mojo61 + Lower rig. Might just pick up a Crumar drawbar unit to use with Galileo to put the icing on the cake. ;)

Go all the way and replace Galileo with a Gemini module!

Go all the way and replace Galileo with a Gemini module!

Budget must be observed... and that's overkill for just organ. ;)

(that being said, though, the Gemini Rack would definitely be a kickass addition. ;) )

Motif XF8 for me. Or Montage actually, since it would be a single-board rig with no MIDI used. Or Kronos (LS?).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me. Back to just the Kronos. I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.

Are you using the pads for something else, like triggering samples? Because you can definitely set the keypad to enter patch numbers, I used mine that way all the time.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I did my 1st single board gig with the Kronos last weekend, with my dance/party band. (I do a lot of blues type gigs with my Electro 5 by itself, this was new territory) I had to replicate a lot of patches from my FA08 and I'm also using the CX3 engine for organ, so I had to do some other creative splits to work that in. The gig went well. I had to tweak some things that were not quite right, in how they sat in the mix etc., so i went thru everything tonight and made some adjustments.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Im using one now.

Took a while to replace all the patches Solaris, Omnisphere and Zebra2 were doing but Code 8 split into 2 x 4 Voice polysynths gets the job done.

The SE-02, HX -3, Strymon Big Sky, Timeline and Deco do a good job of replacing the Scope DSP FX, and the Key Largo sounds really loud and clean.

I can always go back to the expensive Solaris/Scope DSP Rig.

Its chall ngoni covering all of the parts on 1 Controller, but with performance that contain 4 scenes, 8 zones each really helps.

CEF5_DB08-8_E66-4_B0_A-_ABA0-_B5_DE7_F8_E2_F07.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Depends on the gig for me.

If primarily pianos & EPs, Forte 7.

If I don't want to carry that weight, FA-07, but I might use an iPad running Ravenscroft, Neo Soul Keys, Korg Module, etc., or not.

If primarily, organ, Viscount Legend Live, but with the iPad apps above (and synth apps)

Just depends.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

One board rigs for me are an SK1 88 with my Integra.

Thats what Im trying to do for local gigs.

Plus the i7 would be a great spare/back up if a PC breaks down.

i7 has the best Brass Shakes around.

And Ive got BBB, NI Session Pro, Screaming Trumpet and CHein Horns 2.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Personally, I count it as one board if you can leave any other pieces velcro'd in place so you can still move it as one unit.

I leave my Roli Seaboard 49 velcro'd to my Mojo... but I don't think that quite counts.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Archived