Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does this keyboard promo video seem spoofish to you?

nadroj

This "Herbie Hancock and his Kronos" video has been around a while, but I stumbled upon it again tonight. It's almost as if they introduced him to the instrument 5 minutes before filming it. Parts of it seem like a spoof; Especially from 6:12 onwards. I always ashamedly giggle at that part. I love Herbie and mean no disrespect at all, but does anyone else see it?

Edit: and is that one of Busch's sounds he's praising at the end?

[video:youtube]

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jordan. Clearly I don't know Herbie and have no insight into his personality, but in this video he comes across to me as a pretty laid-back guy.

The impression I'm left with is that he's very comfortable in his own skin and isn't afraid to let a gentle sense of humour pervade the presentation.

The word that springs to my mind is "relaxed", rather than "parody".

Nadroj: This video was fun to watch. Usually when someone tells you something is really funny, it raises expectations and makes it less funny. But in this case, your post provided a very specific framing of the video -- i.e., watch it as though it IS a parody. Regardless of how sincere or serious Herbie was intending, if you watch it assuming it is a Spinal-Tap like send-up, it is quite humorous.

With all due respect because I love you all but... to see this as parody? Like he's goofing around and intentionally playing silly stuff? Maybe you don't know what this man has done in music. To me this comes across as nothing less than sincere appreciation for a musical tool that he's taken good advantage of. So he's a casual, laid back kinda guy, what did you want to hear a lecture about the Kronos's operating system? It's a tool that helps him realize what's in his musical imagination, which is leaps & bounds beyond most of ours. He did touch on a few features that help him write & do gigs, and of course Korg edited in a few shots with text overlays that drew attention to the different sound engines - it is after all a promotional video and Herbie is an endorser. I'm sure there are plenty of other videos with in-depth descriptions of the technical stuff, but why would you expect someone like Herbie Hancock to do one of those? It's Herbie Hancock FFS! :)

Maybe he doesn't feel deep enjoyment with all those ever-the-same digital compression curves, sampling challenged distortions, and is glad his hot musical ideas, ad historical meaning aren't directly depended on this mild Linux PC's compute power, nor on it's signal path !

T

Maybe he doesn't feel deep enjoyment with all those ever-the-same digital compression curves, sampling challenged distortions, and is glad his hot musical ideas, ad historical meaning aren't directly depended on this mild Linux PC's compute power, nor on it's signal path !

T

That's what came to my mind, also.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Archived