Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The Code" - A Glossary of Musician-Talk

MathOfInsects

Most of these are older than dirt and apply to dozens of activities and industries. Ill add one i didnt see

Train wreck: when a band cannot stay connected and in synch while playing a song, each musician going his own diffferent way, until it slowly decomposes into a few stuttering burps before stopping completely. (Ok, train wrecks dont have to completely stop to be a train wreck, but on the rare occasion they do - its pretty awesome!)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other day, a drummer (former full time pro, now has day job), told me that he no longer will take "club dates," because he doesn't want to take the work from those who really rely upon those gigs.

This prompted a discussion about what the term "club date" encompasses. I got the sense that the phrase may have slightly different meanings depending upon one's location. Evidently the phrase is more common in the NY area, for example. I am curious how you guys interpret the phrase.

train wreck = the arrangement completely fell apart, musicians were playing the wrong chords, the singer didn't know the words, the ending totally crashed,

clam bake = lots of wrong notes all over the place.

Most of these are older than dirt and apply to dozens of activities and industries. Ill add one i didnt see

Train wreck: when a band cannot stay connected and in synch while playing a song, each musician going his own diffferent way, until it slowly decomposes into a few stuttering burps before stopping completely. (Ok, train wrecks dont have to completely stop to be a train wreck, but on the rare occasion they do - its pretty awesome!)

:poke:

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The other day, a drummer (former full time pro, now has day job), told me that he no longer will take "club dates," because he doesn't want to take the work from those who really rely upon those gigs.

This prompted a discussion about what the term "club date" encompasses. I got the sense that the phrase may have slightly different meanings depending upon one's location. Evidently the phrase is more common in the NY area, for example. I am curious how you guys interpret the phrase.

It's what the misguided folks in Boston call a "casual"--private affair, better-paying gig. Counter-intuitive. Without knowing, I would guess it refers to the kinds of private social clubs where those affairs used to take place.

www.joshweinstein.com

The "club date" terminology question came up on a recent gig I did. Yes, counter-intuitive but that's what private wedding/corporate work has been called in the NY area as long as I've been doing it (and that's a fairly long time!). I thought Boston folk called them "GB" ("General Business") gigs, maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It's what the misguided folks in Boston call a "casual"--private affair, better-paying gig. Counter-intuitive. Without knowing, I would guess it refers to the kinds of private social clubs where those affairs used to take place.

I believe that the phrase is most commonly understood (in NY area) to refer to private events where the musicians are expected to be able to play a variety of music on demand, kind of like a wedding band I suppose. I don't think the term necessarily refers to events at particular types of venues.

I believe that the phrase is most commonly understood (in NY area) to refer to private events where the musicians are expected to be able to play a variety of music on demand, kind of like a wedding band I suppose. I don't think the term necessarily refers to events at particular types of venues.

Right, now it means any kind of private event. I meant, that was my guess as to where the term originated, since it sounds counter-intuitive these days. (I'm from NY.)

www.joshweinstein.com

Another one that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the whole notion of "playing out" which I used to hear all the time, but not so much in recent years. Not to be confused with playing "outside".

Playing out == Gigging = playing professionally. e.g. "My new band is still working out the kinks, but we should be ready to play out soon"

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

To be clear, "playing out" is strictly a weekend-warrior or other non-full-time musician term.

Unless you're called to play with an avant-garde jazz group and they ask, "do you play OUT?" :)

That's how I read it at first too. And it's another little bit of code, which you can use to mock yourself or others for some harmonically "questionable" decisions (i.e., mistakes) during a song or solo. "I decided to go a little 'out' in the second verse." = wink wink, I sh*t the bed hard on that one.

www.joshweinstein.com

I'd never heard the term before moving to the wet coast, and never asked why it was called that. To me, a "casual" would be wear whatever, take as long breaks as you like, start around 9, quit when ever you feel like it, and smoke/drink on stage.

Similar to what I've always pictured playing with the Rolling Stones would be like.

Here for the gear.

To be clear, "playing out" is strictly a weekend-warrior or other non-full-time musician term.

Huh. I guess our experiences differ. I remember hearing this from full time musos. Now that I think about it though, it was often used in the past tense. "When I first started playing out" which could have been referring to a semi-pro first step to full time professional status.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Here's some bebop terms:

"Scribbling" -- faking your way on chord changes you don't know. Or maybe you just can't improvise very well.

"Stroll" -- lay out, stop playing

I hadn't heard 'scribbling', but the jazz guys in this area often refer to someone "scuffling" through a solo (meaning the person doesn't really know the changes and/or what to do with them).

"Man, you were scuffling pretty hard on the bridge of "Joy Spring." You need to get to the woodshed and take care of business.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I think those receptions were alcohol-free due to religious considerations. Maybe some of them were Mormons? You could always tell, within an hour or two the ballroom would have mostly cleared out.

Of course most of my gigs featured obnoxious drunks either wanting to sit in, making ridiculous requests or complaining that the music was too loud, just like every other wedding musician!

train wreck = the arrangement completely fell apart, musicians were playing the wrong chords, the singer didn't know the words, the ending totally crashed,

clam bake = lots of wrong notes all over the place.

:poke:

lol. Ok, you got me - again.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

That's a thing in Boston? Perhaps there's a market for a band called The New Puritans :-)

A term I haven't seen mentioned is "played your dick off," which is the opposite of a yard sale for a solo. Sexist as all hell to be sure, but I learned the term when someone came up to Debbie Davies after a stellar performance and said "You'll have to pardon the expression, but you totally played your dick off on [solo I don't recall]." She roared laughing.

I though this thing was going to be about things like "down from five" or "quick change"...
Yeah. "Stay on the 1" or "it's a long 1" and "a quick 4" and "start on the 5" and "back to the 5 for the end."
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

There was a book out many years ago that some jazz musicians I knew had called " The Parlance of Hip".

It has some choice examples of hipster lingo.... I remember a few phrases.

If a horn player was playing badly, according to the Parlance of Hip, " the cat was BLOWING SNAKES".

There was a musician I knew named Rob Thomas, now or recently an instructor of jazz violin at Berklee. We would be calling tunes and Rob would substitute the word " slugs" for one of the words in the title of a song. Such as -

I only have SLUGS for you.

SLUGS fell on Alabama

There will never be another SLUG

Giant SLUGS

I think Rob was the first guy I ever heard call for a tune called " Medication" by Antonio Carlos Jim Beam

Etc.

Growing up/of age in New Jersey. wedding/catering hall work was also called Club Dates. I had always heard it was GB up in Boston/New England.

Here on Maui you're called a Convention Band, and you're doing a convention gig... even if it's a wedding.

I was told that the key signature hand thing (fingers up or down) was different on the East Coast and West Coast. On the East we used up for sharps, down for flats, which makes sense. I was told that up for flats became more common since in those bands it was more common to play in flat keys than sharp keys, likely due to being more piano and horn based than guitar. I try to use it now and no one knows what I mean. Less reading players, or just a sign of my vintage standing...?

Jerry

"Throws his dick on the chopping block"

This is when a record company executive risks their career to sign an artist.

Nod to mighty ferguson who reminded me of this one

Reminds me of something one of my former piano students said, regarding a solo he'd flubbed on a recent gig: "Really stepped on my d*ck, there". Guy was a trombone player in a local big band.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

"Head case" = Diva, high-maintenance, needy and ultimately not worth any game they might bring.

Similar to "hot mess" in my circles, usually along with a big eye roll.

True story? Went to this informal jam session with people I didn't know in a sketchy part of town.

This younger gal shows up, and from the get-go proceeds to put Janis Joplin and everyone else to shame. Blew me away and everyone else as well. I didn't want it to end. But it did. I was like "how do we form a band around this lady?"

Turns out she needs multiple substances to reach her "peak", and then heard her kids were recently taken away by social services. Very sad. Before long that evening, she melted down into total incoherency. Someone had to carry her out and drive her home.

A hot mess. But damn, that girl could sing when she was on. I still remember it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived