Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got a new gig!

TommyRude

Hey everyone, Im super happy and proud to share my next gig. Im going to be the MD, keyboardist and backup vocals for Taylor Swift on her next worldwide tour. As part of this role, Ill be hiring all the musicians and singers as well as coordinating all the tech and musical arrangements.

This was a secretive and hard fought but very pleasurable experience. Whats kind of amazing is that Taylor and her upper management, who were deeply involved in this process, pointed to my playing by ear approach and lack of ability with my left hand as critical factors in their decision They felt that the less is more approach was key to making the upcoming tour a success, and Im gratified to be able to bringing my low tech skills to this important cultural event.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote=waygetter lack of ability with my left hand as critical factors in their decision

I'm sure this nailed the deal.......none of those pesky patch changes mid-song. Taylor likes sameness.

:facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Wow, amazing! Can I play drums, then?
No guarantees, but we'll be starting the musician search and auditions shortly. In addition to drums and percussion, we'll have 3 full time live keyboardists (including me). Please send your resumes and performance packages to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Hollywood, CA 93001, attn: Waygetter

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Tim McGraw is going to leave teardrops on my guitar when he hears I wasn't chosen. Her management should've said no, I always saw Taylor and my playing as our song, our picture to burn forever and always.

I mean, like maybe a white horse, or even fifteen of them, I would say that MD gig, you belong with me, and in my mind I'd jump, then fall into a love story. I know you're not sorry, here's a crazier notion maybe Taylor needs two MD's, or a backup, since two is better than one, isn't it? If I got that call, today would be a fairytale, like the story of us dear john, working the gig like ours, not just a last kiss, or a back to December kind of sparks fly, or yours or mine kind of job.

Think about it, it would be enchanted, mean, long live, safe and sound kind of tough, with both our eyes open, neither of us would think I knew you were trouble or we are never ever getting back together. I'm betting my left hand and your right hand, man, Taylor would think everything has changed, that tour would be like a 22 state of grace kind of success, all too well begin again.

I mean, the audience and the highway don't care, we'd work to fill in the blank space, and when we hit the East Coast, man, welcome to New York, wildest dreams! It would be totally new romantics out of the woods when we'd shake it off.

Eventually our styles might clash but I can't see that leading to bad blood or I don't wanna live forever, especially since so many of her fans are gorgeous end game delicate, right? I mean, I'd sure be ready for it on New Year's Day or any other stop of the tour!

Ah well, wasn't to be. Look what you made me post now, I guess you can just call it what you want.

I'm sure this nailed the deal.......none of those pesky patch changes mid-song. Taylor likes sameness.

I know, amazing huh? I will have to vouch for Taylor though. Towards the end of the process, it was just me and Taylor in an intimate room. She began to softly sing a heartfelt and tender version of Shake it Off. I began to accompany her, and it was uncanny how everything I played she totally grooved with it. The intensity ebbed and flowed, and in a particularly quiet moment, she placed her hand on mine and whispered, "you're the one". I knew at that moment I had the gig. I won't say what happened after.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I can give you some pointers from when I did the Katy Perry tour. My rig was an Office Depot "Easy" button that I wired up to a MIDI Solutions foot switch controller that sent a patch change to an Alesis DataDisk which had a sysex message for midi transport start command which was then sent to the DAW that had the tracks. Rock solid system.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Can you give a hint as to what the tech arrangements may look like?
Thanks for asking George. Tech will consist of 2 engineers fully certified from the USC Thornton School of Music Technology. They will build out the databases, servers and applications. By applications, that includes just about every conceivable music operating system, VSTs and controllers that you could ever think of, along with multiple redundant backups. That architecture will be fully integrated with lighting and special effects systems. The music applications will be routed fully Bluetooth and wireless to the on stage players.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Can I be the guy that pushes the play tracks button? I feel my unique qualifications as Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet more than qualify me.
Absolutely! There will be 3 techs whose sole job will be to coordinate with myself and hitting the play buttons to ensure the music flows uninterrupted to the millions of fans, who will be watching both live and streaming around the world.

By the way, this tour will be 100% live. Absolutely no fake music. At this point, anticipating only around 32 backing tracks will be running at any point in time, so looking forward to a very real and authentic musical experience!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Tim McGraw is going to leave teardrops on my guitar when he hears I wasn't chosen. Her management should've said no, I always saw Taylor and my playing as our song, our picture to burn forever and always.

I mean, like maybe a white horse, or even fifteen of them, I would say that MD gig, you belong with me, and in my mind I'd jump, then fall into a love story. I know you're not sorry, here's a crazier notion maybe Taylor needs two MD's, or a backup, since two is better than one, isn't it? If I got that call, today would be a fairytale, like the story of us dear john, working the gig like ours, not just a last kiss, or a back to December kind of sparks fly, or yours or mine kind of job.

Think about it, it would be enchanted, mean, long live, safe and sound kind of tough, with both our eyes open, neither of us would think I knew you were trouble or we are never ever getting back together. I'm betting my left hand and your right hand, man, Taylor would think everything has changed, that tour would be like a 22 state of grace kind of success, all too well begin again.

I mean, the audience and the highway don't care, we'd work to fill in the blank space, and when we hit the East Coast, man, welcome to New York, wildest dreams! It would be totally new romantics out of the woods when we'd shake it off.

Eventually our styles might clash but I can't see that leading to bad blood or I don't wanna live forever, especially since so many of her fans are gorgeous end game delicate, right? I mean, I'd sure be ready for it on New Year's Day or any other stop of the tour!

Ah well, wasn't to be. Look what you made me post now, I guess you can just call it what you want.

It's just this kind of inspirational contribution that helped me land this gig! Tim, PM me, Ill need a double, as well need to leapfrog from venue to venue for advance setup and prep as the tour rolls along, and I wont be able to be in 2 places at once.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I can give you some pointers from when I did the Katy Perry tour. My rig was an Office Depot "Easy" button that I wired up to a MIDI Solutions foot switch controller that sent a patch change to an Alesis DataDisk which had a sysex message for midi transport start command which was then sent to the DAW that had the tracks. Rock solid system.
You know what you know what you know! JDan, this is very similar to what were planning. Except well be using Staples equipment and supplies (v. Office Depot), as they align more with Taylors values.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I will have to vouch for Taylor though. Towards the end of the process, it was just me and Taylor in an intimate room. She began to softly sing a heartfelt and tender version of Shake it Off. I began to accompany her, and it was uncanny how everything I played she totally grooved with it. The intensity ebbed and flowed, and in a particularly quiet moment, she placed her hand on mine and whispered, "you're the one". I knew at that moment I had the gig. I won't say what happened after.

Inquiring minds want to know. :wave:

Details, please. :cool:

:nopity:

Even though I am reading this thread on the 2nd and it is now old news I feel I must congratulate Waygetter on achieving a high distinction in Creative writing and Timwat for his equally entertaining contribution. Who knew these two KCers were soul mates?

I look forward to Taylor's new songs written with the OP, wry, insightful lyrics with carefully crafted melodies so there will be no need for autotune.

And Waygetter please ignore Dave's requests for more info on those tender and private moments with Taylor that will have changed and added a new meaning to her life from that day on.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I will have to vouch for Taylor though. Towards the end of the process, it was just me and Taylor in an intimate room. She began to softly sing a heartfelt and tender version of Shake it Off. I began to accompany her, and it was uncanny how everything I played she totally grooved with it. The intensity ebbed and flowed, and in a particularly quiet moment, she placed her hand on mine and whispered, "you're the one". I knew at that moment I had the gig. I won't say what happened after.

They became the next "it" couple, she got mad and wrote a scathing song about him and dumped him, all in the next 5 minutes...

Moe

---

As I signed an NDA, I can only reveal certain details. Taylor confided in me how some of her relationships had deteriorated when things became too predictable. I let her know its important for me to keep things fresh, like teen spirit. At that point, she snuggled up next to me, leaned over and whispered in my ear, listen mother****r, dont you dare get banned from KC. Turns out Taylor is an incognito member of KC, and shes a complete freak about keyboard gear!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Archived