Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SKX....new hammond board

In EU, if Thomann says 3K, then it's 3K.

Yes, at that price point the SKX is going against some stiff competition. Yet it's a pretty unique combination of dual manual organ + extra voices.

Nord Stage has similar prices, much better non-organ voices and a full synth (but only single manual).

The Viscount Legend costs less and has a 100% faithful Hammond interface (but no extra voices).

The main competitor will probably be the Mojo, which has dual manuals, similar size and weight, equivalent set of drawbars, and extra voices (fewer than the SKX, but of arguably higher quality). And costs almost half as much as the SKX...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, at that price point the SKX is going against some stiff competition. Yet it's a pretty unique combination of dual manual organ + extra voices.

I think many people looking at a 2-manual board to gig with are looking for it to be the only board they bring, and piano is an especially desirable additional sound, and I think the SKX and DMC122+Gemini are the only two that have it.

DMC combo is cheaper and makes for a better MIDI controller (pitch/mod wheels, aftertouch). Hammond is bit lighter, with simpler real-time operation, the benefit of a dedicated rather than generic controller interface. I think the MIDI/programming type may prefer the DMC while the just-sit-down-and-play-it folks would prefer the Hammond... and I think there are probably more of the second. Plus Hammond obviously has the more established name and distribution.

It's only $100 more than the SK2, which they seemed to do pretty well with, and you get the additional drawbars and the ability to play two instances of extra voices simultaneously, more memory for the extra voices, and better patch recall functionality... looks pretty competitive to me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I guess we're talking of the usual US vs. EU price gap.

On this side of the pond, the SKX is over 600 more than the SK2. Enough to put it into Nord Stage territory (which I think is cheaper here), and almost double the price of a Mojo or DMC-Gemini (which are around 1800 now).

I'm sure the SKX will do great in the States, but I'm not expecting to see many of them around these parts... Actually now that I think of it, I've never seen even an SK2 in my area, except my own.

I guess we're talking of the usual US vs. EU price gap..

Ah,yes, the European stuff tends to be cheaper in Europe, so that probably makes the Hammond a little pricier there in comparison toe GSI and Nord. In the U.S., SK2 street is $2895, SKX looks to be $2995, DMC+Gemini combo is $2328. I'm surprised at the difference in the SKX vs SK2 premium, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I received an email from my dealer yesterday saying that they would sell me an Skx for $3600 US. I told them that I understand MAP is $3000 and I expect a 15% discount from MAP, which is the usual deal they always give me. I am waiting for a response.

#Diminishing possibility of me buying one.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Has street price (MAP) been confirmed? Have we seen the $2995 price anywhere other than Kraft? It's not impossible that it could be an error.

I guess we're talking of the usual US vs. EU price gap..

Ah,yes, the European stuff tends to be cheaper in Europe, so that probably makes the Hammond a little pricier there in comparison toe GSI and Nord. In the U.S., SK2 street is $2895, SKX looks to be $2995, DMC+Gemini combo is $2328. I'm surprised at the difference in the SKX vs SK2 premium, though.

I mean the comment about the EVs. I don't get a Hammond clone for other sounds....I am realistic about it. I know we all want the all in one solution with two manuals but it hasn't been done that well yet and I wouldn't want to play piano sounds on that action anyway. That's just me though.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I know we all want the all in one solution with two manuals

I'm still looking for an all in one solution in one manual, like an E5 or SK1, in 73/76 keys. But looking for one which sounds right to me. So far the only one that sounds right all the way around is the Gemini module but it not yet tucked into a 73/76 one manual solution with 9 drawbars.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

SWEETWATER SAYS 2995 AS WELL
The SKx's current mark-up of only $100 vs. the SK2 suggests that the increased price is mainly for the additional drawbars, memory, and better slit/layer capabilities rather any significant improvement in the extra voices (e.g. AP's and EP's). For the same reason, I don't expect the SKx's organ engine to be significantly improved vs. the SK2's.

Of course my lowered expectations about the SKx's extra voices could be totally wrong. That's why I eagerly await reports from gigging players, not jazzed-up sales demos, on the Skx's extra voices.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

The extra voices are the same as those in the rest of the SK line. I compared the SKx to the SK1 at the Hammond booth at NAMM. The difference is that they are voiced (velocity mapped) better for the action. So they play much better. But the samples are the same.

With the increased memory, more of the downloadable content is available out of the box including the acro / classic strings and the electric bass.

I know we all want the all in one solution with two manuals but it hasn't been done that well yet and I wouldn't want to play piano sounds on that action anyway. That's just me though.

Guido dropped a hint in the DMC/Mojo Facebook group about an updated dual manual Mojo with the two DSP architecture of the Gemini possibly coming later this year. Im guessing it would be a more purpose built/less customizable version of the DMC/Gemini combo with the Mojo look and keybed, but thats just speculation on my part. But still, I can imagine that being the all in one solution that is done well. Of course, it doesnt address your comment about playing piano sounds on an organ action, but I dont see anyone solving that anytime soon. Maybe someone will figure out how to adapt adjustable car suspension to the keys. Then we can all debate which bank to rob to afford it.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I don't get a Hammond clone for other sounds....I am realistic about it. I know we all want the all in one solution with two manuals but it hasn't been done that well yet and I wouldn't want to play piano sounds on that action anyway. That's just me though.

Yeah, it will always be a compromise, but for an organ-centric player who just wants to bring a single 2-manual board, the availability of some piano may be better than none.

The extra voices are the same as those in the rest of the SK line. I compared the SKx to the SK1 at the Hammond booth at NAMM. The difference is that they are voiced (velocity mapped) better for the action. So they play much better. But the samples are the same.

With the increased memory, more of the downloadable content is available out of the box including the acro / classic strings and the electric bass.

Thankyou.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Good to know. Since it's just a matter of velocity mapping, I wonder if they might provide software updates to increase that playability for existing SK1/SK2 users as well. I also wonder if the new Favorites feature (10 banks of 10 instead of 1 bank of 10) might also be able to find its way into a software update for the older models. That was one of the things I was disappointed with on the SK1.

The SKX is certainly a lot more useful for that electric bass patch, now that your other hand can play some sound besides the organ! I had hoped they'd come up with a way for us to load our own custom samples into that sample memory, though.

I guess we're talking of the usual US vs. EU price gap.

On this side of the pond, the SKX is over 600 more than the SK2. Enough to put it into Nord Stage territory (which I think is cheaper here), and almost double the price of a Mojo or DMC-Gemini (which are around 1800 now).

I'm sure the SKX will do great in the States, but I'm not expecting to see many of them around these parts... Actually now that I think of it, I've never seen even an SK2 in my area, except my own.

Where is your area, it's not shown?

In case it's the UK, here is my SK2 so you've seen one now ;)

40004904872_d89efd6921_b.jpga8hWPXV2zVJeLcOG-5soAs7fPiDeg6ktbVIr-ucHuiAVrKYN4n8JYDZiv5uJh2UpMdIhScsLkW1XGPbklVzVHg_zps62e5f21f-1_zpsbefc89d4 by Alan Pearson, on Flickr

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I know we all want the all in one solution with two manuals but it hasn't been done that well yet and I wouldn't want to play piano sounds on that action anyway. That's just me though.

Guido dropped a hint in the DMC/Mojo Facebook group about an updated dual manual Mojo with the two DSP architecture of the Gemini possibly coming later this year. Im guessing it would be a more purpose built/less customizable version of the DMC/Gemini combo with the Mojo look and keybed, but thats just speculation on my part. But still, I can imagine that being the all in one solution that is done well. Of course, it doesnt address your comment about playing piano sounds on an organ action, but I dont see anyone solving that anytime soon. Maybe someone will figure out how to adapt adjustable car suspension to the keys. Then we can all debate which bank to rob to afford it.

I guess as much as I love having an organ clone I wouldn't want to play piano on it anyway is all I am saying because that isn't what it's designed to do. They are such different animals anyway especially once you get to playing high levels. Once I went back to piano lessons and I started playing a lot of different grand pianos and it reminded me how different they really are. I have tried to play piano parts on Tuck's Nord and I couldn't dig in or relate to it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I guess as much as I love having an organ clone I wouldn't want to play piano on it anyway is all I am saying because that isn't what it's designed to do. They are such different animals anyway especially once you get to playing high levels. Once I went back to piano lessons and I started playing a lot of different grand pianos and it reminded me how different they really are. I have tried to play piano parts on Tuck's Nord and I couldn't dig in or relate to it.

Not sure I subscribe to that - seems the great players can play anything with keys on it and make it sound good.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I can. That's not the point about "making it sound good" Of course you can if you are a good player. Read it again because you didn't get it.

noblevibes.com

Still wondering how the single fx dsp for the 2 voices works, looks like one control knob and on switch so I'm wondering if you can allocate the EV multi effect to one or both EVs or what?

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

The organ tone and Leslie sim sound about the same as the SK 1, imo. The new EP doesnt sound like a Rhodes to me.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The new Superb Rhodes does sound like the old Rhodes, which I could never get to work no matter how much I tweaked EQ and effects.

I am still waiting to find out how the effects block for the extra voices works. Jim?

I'm not sure what people are expecting in the way of marketing. The extra set of drawbars would seem to be the chief selling point.

Anyone know if they have modified the fast leslie speed to allow it to be slower? My SK1 goes down to 375 (rpm?) which is still to fast for my liking.

Even so, if theyd had the SKX available a couple of years ago I would very likely have bought one, but I wouldnt swap my Mojo for one now.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

For me, someone who rarely if ever uses two organ models simultaneously, the attraction of something like this would be to not have to carry another board or module -- a one piece gig rig. But it fails at that if the EPs are weak.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64