Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SKX....new hammond board

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Hammond bills it as their 'smallest, lightest dual manual blah blah blah' it is 2.5 lbs heavier than the SK2.

I love reading stuff like this. This is the 1+1=3 or as my mother use to say, the new math.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If the SK2 is discontinued, then it would be the lightest 2 manual they have.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

So the extra set of drawbars are free? Or someone screwed up uploading info?

Says $2895 here:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-sk2-dual-manual-portable-organ.html

Oh, wait, you can choose the 'performer pack' SK2 with a case for, yes $2895:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-sk2-dual-manual-portable-organ-performer-pak.html

The Hammond USA website now lists the SKX:

Although Hammond bills it as their 'smallest, lightest dual manual blah blah blah' it is 2.5 lbs heavier than the SK2. Really hope they left the handle in the back panel.

26962242_10156263274059284_3012138560315210010_o.jpg

Here is a photo of the back panel. Looks like the handle of the SK2 is also present ofn the SKx.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

The SKX Stage Keyboard the smallest, lightest, dual-manual in the companys history.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hah, I saw that back picture and thought it said "Hammond Ska". :-)

My favourite preset on my XK-1c is the one I designed for the ska genre.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nope, they're listed side by side on Hammond's portable keyboards page on their website.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

If the new EVs are up to snuff I'll get me one of these. There are times when 2 EVs would be great, but only if they're quality samples. I really like the original SK wurli and clavs, but I could never dial in a Rhodes that was useable, and the pianos, while useable in a pinch, are pretty ordinary. The second set of drawbars would be really nice too. I occasionally switch the drawbar button to lower and then forget to switch it back and start pulling the drawbars expecting the upper manual to change and I'm briefly screwed.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Just noticed there's no leslie switch on the top panel anymore. May or may not matter to you, I like to know when I switch presets where the leslie's at.

Just noticed there's no leslie switch on the top panel anymore. May or may not matter to you, I like to know when I switch presets where the leslie's at.

Isn't the top panel Leslie switch the button that lights up on the top panel when the halfmoon is switched to fast in the overhead video demos? Left side just above upper manual.

Thanks, trying to make out the panel as a video cam moves across it has been a bit of a challenge. I just need the light, so good to know it's there.

As Jim mentions in his interview, you can use the dual manual layout for an organ/e-keys split, which makes this a much more ergonomic gigging keyboard setup than a two-tier stand with two boards.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As Jim mentions in his interview, you can use the dual manual layout for an organ/e-keys split, which makes this a much more ergonomic gigging keyboard setup than a two-tier stand with two boards.

This. With my Integra MIDIed up I can cover anything, small stage footprint, easy set-up, both manuals the right distance apart. But then I was an organist before playing piano. Most of you may still want a weighted board on the bottom. It will be interesting to see how the new pianos and EPs sound in light of Hammond stating that when you're playing these sounds the response has been tweaked to be more piano-like. I've found the SK2 Fatar action great for playing wurli, not so good for piano, but that may change with this new board.

And thanks Anduan for the pic.

So based on what we've heard so far, the sonic upgrades include new AP and EP samples, and vaguely hinted-at but unspecified improvements to the organ sound.

I'm not sure that new AP/EP sounds are confirmed either.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Seems like a phone when it comes to the upgrades. The next model usually isn't enough to make one upgrade. For example, If you have an SK2 you probably won't upgrade to this, unless you have someone ready to buy the SK2 for a good price.

Besides the videos posted here, I haven't seen any superstar performances on YouTube. There was one video by Jimmy Smith, but it was more of a church performance, with Jim saying he was on the XK-5 in the interview up above. Honestly, it should have been the other way around. A church is more likely to buy the XK-5.

It would be interesting to see Brian Auger play the SKX. I was expecting to see all the stars trying the SKX with a bunch of videos on YouTube but so far it isn't happening. Maybe more people will upload them now that the show is over. I'm sure Kraft and Sweatwater will have an in-depth review. We really need Jim to put the SK2 and SKX side by side and compare. See if his tonewheel set will load, compare all the sounds and Leslie sim.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

Presumably you could have an AP sound on both manuals but transposed to different octaves, to give you a range of 73 notes (or even 85, though that might result in some awkward cross-handed playing). I could see that being a workable compromise to having an 88-key board in some situations.

Yes. You couldn't do that on the SK2, but looking at the front panel of the SKX, I think it will probably support that, and yeah, I think it would be useful.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow, this thread is quite educational and enlightening, with so much feedback from people who have very different needs and/or tastes.

I was leaning towards an eventual upgrade from XK-1c to XK-5, thinking the price difference vs. the Skx is a bit silly if I'm primarily interested in continuing to upgrade my actual organ sound and keybed feel.

But some of the comments about the XK-5 keybed, and the strong feature set supporting various ways of making use of the Skx's dual manuals, as well as greatly improved piano/e-piano samples, has me back to keeping an open mind about the Skx in case I get back to gigging on keys and do so in the context of jazz.

"The SKX's keying system replicates the feel of a weighted keyboard when playing piano-type voices, yet remains supple and responsive to every Hammond technique."

Wondering if Jim you might be able to comment on this, i.e. is it just better velocity mapping or is there something else going on?

Jim showing some features.

[video:youtube]

Seriously Jim, you need to get Hammond to loan you the SKX for a month so you can do a side by side comparison. Everyone is asking for this, they want to hear the APs and if there is a difference.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

If the MAPP is $3000 US, then it will be available for $2500 - pretty good pricing I think. The question is going to be how the EV's are. The Sk2 EV's are pretty bad. I am hoping that the Skx EV's are dramatically improved. If they are not, I will cancel my pre-order.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska